JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
But now want to have it professionally coated/finished. (Cerakote, anodize, etc...)
Do I still need to do this work or can I job it out?
when i asked my LGS this same question my good friend who works there responded "we will log it into our records to show we took posession of a frame along with your name so think long and hard about if you really want to coat it"

IMO not a big deal for some; but for me, the point of an 80% lower is no ones business except mine so...

i ended up painting the trigger pocket of mine satin black to match the rest of it.

Once it's more than a paperweight, they've got to log it in/out when they do work on it.

I've had decent luck using the Birchwood Aluminum black on some other pieces of aluminum that I'd done some drilling and milling on. It's not great for large visible areas, but if you started out with an anodized paperweight and only needed to hit the raw edges of the drill holes and get some coating on the inside of the pocket it would work well. It's also good for scratches, and did a decent job darkening the NFA egraving I have on my SBR. Ultimately the trigger pocket shouldn't see too much abuse anyway, so I wouldn't worry about the inside too much.

You could also pick up some Duracoat aerosol if you were wanting to do a fully raw piece. Just make sure to prep it well.

And there are some decent how-to's out there on home anodizing. Not terribly hard, but it does take some effort and a few chemicals...and keeping the heat down can be a bit of a challenge.

Looks like I'm going the pre-anodized route - ocd be damned. :(
I appreciate the info guys. I had a feeling there might be a hiccup.

For my own edification, would it have been possible to cerakote as an 80% paperweight before you finished it into a proper lower?
You can. Many come anodized. Just need to be careful.
I'll just obsess knowing the group slot is nekked. :rolleyes:

I've had decent luck using the Birchwood Aluminum black on some other pieces of aluminum that I'd done some drilling and milling on. It's not great for large visible areas, but if you started out with an anodized paperweight and only needed to hit the raw edges of the drill holes and get some coating on the inside of the pocket it would work well. It's also good for scratches, and did a decent job darkening the NFA egraving I have on my SBR.
Agreed. Tried to blacken the trigger pocket interior on one of my 80%-ers, and all it did was make an ugly mess in there.
But, since it's the inside of the pocket and doesn't see the light of day once the upper and lower are mated, I let it go and the lesson was learned.
Like @RainMan_PNW notes, Aluminum black works great for scratches, nicks, and the shiny faces of holes and such. :s0155: Larger areas, not so much...

Last Edited:
I'll just obsess knowing the group slot is nekked. :rolleyes:
Oh, you'll get over it, trust me! I did, and I'm waaaaay more OCD than you. :p In fact, I'm so OCD that I spell it CDO.

Hey, if you're gonna have the disease, it might as well be in alphabetical order! :eek:

Looks like I'm going the pre-anodized route - ocd be damned. :(
I appreciate the info guys. I had a feeling there might be a hiccup.
The ones I have done so far came coated. The Jig showed to use Painters tape to protect it while bolted into the jig for just this reason. I have a bottle of the blackener from Birchwood to try. Have not bothered yet. One of these days I will. Some reviews for doing just this said to get the best results de grease real well and then heat the thing up a little first. Like Sobo said it's just the inside and no one can see it when guns are together so I have not been real motivated to try it yet. If you want something better like the good coatings you would of course just have to do it while in the 80% and be careful after or, if some shop would do the finished product with no serial #??? They would of course have to book it in and out with your name but, if its still has no serial # not much for those who would want to later track it to follow I guess???
Would any of the vendors here who do things like Cerakote want to chime in here?? Would you, can you, coat an 80% that was completed for the owner with no serial #, just log it in and out for the owner that way?? Something I had never thought of but seems like a great question for those who do this work here?

No serial number is needed to check a firearm in. Some places will politely decline 80% parts, others will treat them the same as any other. I have found they generally (When in the white) need a significant more prep work in addressing the tool marks and point that out so the owner is aware of what is regular work and what may be done before arriving else pay a little extra to make it all amazing when picking up.

No serial number is needed to check a firearm in. Some places will politely decline 80% parts, others will treat them the same as any other. I have found they generally (When in the white) need a significant more prep work in addressing the tool marks and point that out so the owner is aware of what is regular work and what may be done before arriving else pay a little extra to make it all amazing when picking up.
Thanks this is nice to know. Until it was brought up here I had never thought of it but, as soon as it was I was genuinely curious. Who knows one day I may want to have one of my Caspers coated so nice to know it can indeed be done.

this is the paint. its flat black. not satin black. my mistake.
C3150DAD-8EF2-4599-AB7C-9D63C3AE29F9.jpeg C8B2084A-AF3A-4C1E-8A41-79FC51E07224.jpeg
i did this one a couple years ago. see the wear around the take down pin. the rifle itself is super dirty
60F268C4-F7E5-4BE0-91F7-6C40885B8E34.jpeg
did this one recently. needs some touch up still around the top edges and the paint blob removed
F7F71624-2E61-4FD9-A05E-2B9E91EA9263.jpeg

Well damn that looks great to me. Will buy a can of that stuff. Thanks!
Nah, send it over and support a vendor who supports the daily operation costs of this site. :)

Then have some wild cerakote job done on it. I've seen the samples....

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews