JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I recently got an email blast about a qualification course being offered locally and in the copy was the sentence: "No SERPA holsters unless your agency has issued them and requires their use."

Now I've used a SERPA on my 1911 and regularly with my Glock G-21, and if I do my job of indexing the release first, I've never had a problem with it.

Have you personally ever had any problems with these? I know the urban stories about the coat string-thing getting in the trigger guard and causing an AD, but can't this happen with any composite type holster?

Just wondering why this negative attitude and any first hand experiences, as not in "I read about..."

Last Edited:
I asked about IDPA because they have some strange rules. It almost seems that they strive to eliminate shooters who might be interested in their matches.

Sheldon

There have been incidents where people have used their index finger to push the release tab and continued the motion resulting in a trigger squeeze. Some guns make it easier than others for this to happen... (design and alignment with the release tab)

Also - I've seen the release tabs get so mucked up they don't release!

Well danged if I can figure this out, particularly why a course instructor would go to the trouble of trying to exclude them from the exercise.

I see them on duty belts all the time, especially the x-26 Taser ones.

Even the Safariland light-bearing level III's are not without problems under some circumstances...

In fact, if I might tangent a bit, I had a Blade Tech 1911 holster that, no matter what I did to the adjustment screws, just would not let go of the pistol reliably. Dangerous and useless.

Wound up taking it apart for the Tec-Lok belt clip, and it now serves duty under my workspace desk, holding the 1911 under there:
bladetech.jpg
Finally the P.O.S. is useful. o_O

Looking forward to some first-person examples of why there's this SERPA bias.

OK thanks but interesting, not a single first-person account here, all in articles and rumor. Not like the gun community is susceptible to rumors and FUD.

We're not a fan because someone else said so.

Maybe I should have chosen a different title. Let's see if that's do-able.

Still looking for a first-person account, not "I read or someone I don't know said..."

I carried my M9 in a Serpa at the start of a deployment ( USMC 0311). It didn't last a month before the belt attachment broke off, also the button release would get clogged with debris every now and again. So I had to go back to a bianchi m12 which I hated. Then when I got back I ordered a raven concealment phantom... And after looking at it for a day or two I decided to start making my own kydex holsters. Now that's all I use. I've seen too many serpas break in the field and on deployments that I wouldn't use them even if they were free.

Ok thanks for responding. Not a good choice for dirty environments.
My own concern is regarding domestic duty use, not combat conditions in sand box... and needing at least level II retention-

I have tried a Serpa and found that I like the Israeli version better. The button is higher up on the pistol so you don't have the chance of getting your finger into the trigger guard. I have one for my P30 made by Itac defense. I believe IMI Defense make them as well.

I assume you have seen the video of the guy who shot himself drawing from a SERPA holster? I gives his first hand account with video, He takes responsibility and explained what he thinks happened.

I really liked the serpa for years however I did have a couple fail to release the weapon after getting dirty. Understand it wasn't average everyday clothing lint but crawling in mud and dust. One incident resulted in having to take a dremel to the holster to get the gun out. Obviously this is not acceptable. I don't feel Tex Grubners video is a problem with the holster but here is the link

I had one on a drop leg that I used for airsoft.

Sand got in the mechanism and would not let the pistol out. The button could not be pressed, and the sand could not be knocked out.

You may say that you aren't planning on rolling in dirt, but Murphy may say otherwise. Not to mention other debris could also get in there.

Why use a holster that might not let go of the pistol when it counts.

This didn't happen to me but I whitnessed it. Long story short a woman I know fell off her horse
About a half hour later tried to draw her P89 to find it was trapped in the holster because the release button had red clay mud and tiny pebbles packed behind it. Dug at it for a bit and got the pistol released but it didn't work right until it was put under running water and really cleaned good.....opened my eyes to any holster that has a push button release.
Safariland ALS or a standard clamshell kidex for me

So, I have heard of this issue with the serpa holsters many times.

Now I understand each pistol design is different, but from my experience with 9mm/40 cal glocks, the button and grove are perfectly located so that my finger is properly placed above the trigger guard when drawing. I also use the whole pad of my finger and not just the tip. I don't use serpas much anymore but it was the first holster I bought, I have several now and for me and my glocks, I don't understand some of the hate on them. I do understand just from observation how the mechanism could get caked with stuff and jam, but I have yet to have mine jam with mud or sad.

Pics can say it in fewer words

1419442551949.jpg

1419442620508.jpg

1419442706188.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews