JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That is the exact same story I read on SWFA a while back. Are you the original author of that piece?

Last Edited:
We lived in Whatcom County in a location surrounded by woods and wetlands. There are many game trails that migrate through the property and had spotted deer and coyotes on a regular occurrence. The area we lived in is adjacent to lakes, streams, and reaches to Puget Sound through a string of forest that has not been cut down. Our home is in a clearing surrounded by trees, ponds, and marsh. The rear of our home has a partially covered porch with a door leading from the laundry room to the covered section and a set of French doors leading to the uncovered section.

March 30, 2013; At approximately 9pm on a Saturday night, my wife and I were watching TV when I heard a commotion on our back porch. (We feed a few feral cats and have set up a small welfare state for them on our back porch) I glanced towards rear of the house from our living room to see the motion sensor light from the porch turn on and off several times. I have the timer set low so the time between lighting is short. I got up and looked out our laundry room and saw the porch was in disarray (knocked over containers and plastic bins). The cats were gone and there were no raccoons, coyotes, or possums in sight.

At this point I wanted to make sure there was no one outside our home as we are in the woods and off the main road a bit. The cats will run off if the coons come around but rarely cause a commotion like what occurred that night. I went to the front of the house and stepped out the front door, closing it behind me so I could listen. It sounded like someone was walking in the grass on the east side of our home so I quietly opened the door and stepped back into the house. Grabbing my handgun and a flashlight, I looked out the security window at the top of the door to make sure no one was in sight of the door then stepped back out onto the porch. As I heard the walking sound from the right side of the house, I circled left from front to rear checking for footprints in the grass/tracks in the dew. I completed a full circle around the house without seeing any indication of anyone walking in the grass.

I then started sweeping the forest and wetlands area next to the house with my flashlight. I saw what appeared (based on size) to be cat or raccoon eye shine far out into the woods. As I swept over the wetlands area, I saw a set of amber eye shines that were spaced far apart (appeared to be about 8-10" apart) and was slightly higher than my eye level. As I was standing in an area that I knew to be higher than the area that I was looking at, it registered in my brain that whatever owned the eye shine was taller than I was by about a foot and a half (I am 6'3").

What could not register in my brain was what it could be as the space between eyes and the height could not correlate to anything in my mind (it was like running through a Rolodex of likely sources and the only thing I could come up with was: a cow in a tree...). I was still and the shine kept looking at me for about 45 seconds. As I could not explain, in my mind, what this could be, I just wanted it to go away.

I was pretty shaken at this point (and I am pretty level-headed). Just wanting it to go away, I figured I would discharge my handgun to scare it off. My flashlight was not powerful enough to see what owned the shine so I would not shoot directly at it. I raised my pistol enough that whatever it was would see the muzzle flash as well as hear the shot to scare it as I did not want it around. While continuing to look at the shine, I fired a round into a stump. At this point I figured whatever it was would run away; not so. The shine continued to look at me and seemed really still. At this point I was really shaken knowing that this creature was not threatened enough to take off after the shot. I continued to try to register what was going on in my head for another 45 seconds when I noticed my ears ringing (I did not have earplugs in when I fired my handgun). Adding to my fear, I realized that I could not hear anything if something came up behind me.

My wife opened the front door to see if everything was ok and I decided to go back in the house to "regroup" (the shine was still looking at me). I grabbed my electronic ear muffs and my shotgun and went back outside only to find whatever it was had left. My wife knew that I had seen something that I could not explain..as I was shaken. At this point the threat (in my mind) was no longer there and I was not going to look for it so I called it a night.

The next morning, I went out to view the area where the shine was watching me from. It was a lower area than I was standing the night before. The area's vegetation looked to be trampled down with branches stepped on and broken but did not appear to be a regular game trail. In my backyard, I found a bare footprint that was equivalent of a size 13 shoe but wider.

Not sure what I saw...

Note: 2 weeks prior to that happening, I heard a commotion in the woods and what sounded like a grunting hog in the woods behind the house. Actually called my wife outside to listen to it as I was really perplexed to hear that sound in the PNW (used to hearing it in the woods in Florida and Jungles in Guam).

Note: 2 weeks after the event, a small, lone, tree (~3" in diameter) on the east side of the house had been snapped and left hanging at about 9' high. No other trees in immediate area to drop limbs nor were there any limbs on the ground nearby to indicate anything had fallen on it.

I have pics of the footprint and tree break I will post when I find.

Watch out for cows in trees ;)

Bro, that, right there, is why every time I go scouting I roll with an AK and a loaded mag and a GSD. That thing didnt give AF about your gun. It knew what it was and didnt care

Does Big Foot Exist? Think about this: All "good" sea stories and such start out with or because of some fact from which it's based! My thoughts are that at some time in the mid to late 1800's and before, there was indeed something living in the PNW that inspired these camp stories! What was it, what kind of animal inspired this folklore? I'm of the thought that a long lost/un discovered humanoid species developed independently along side modern man, and yet remained isolated and hidden long after today's man became the dominate species! Given the very dense forests and remoteness of the PNW, why not? This species had to learn to adapt to living among other apex predators and because of that, became very good at remaining hidden, while developing needed skills to continue to exist! What if this species buries it's dead? Not saying one way or the other, but given the independent stories that have come from past times before the interwebs and such, often with no knowledge of other areas that have legends simmiler, it's quite possible such creatures did/do exist!
As a Young Airman living the high speed low drag life style, I found my self training with foreign friendly mil. operations, and We shared some pretty good stories between us. My good friends in the Norwegian Army had many stories and legends that pre date the American experience, same with many other nations I had the pleasure of visiting! With such similarities, why couldn't such a thing be possible? Hangin from a canopy several thousand feet above a steep valley at night with no moon or light sources, and decent N.O.D. I saw something on the ground below me in the snow near the edge of the clearing we were going to be landing, it was YUGE, given I was high above it, and could make it out through the contorted view of my Night Optics! As I got lower and closer, and circling to slow my decent and keep the others in my stick in sight, this creature moved across the clearing's edge and off into the trees, likely unaware of what was coming down on top of it! We all saw it, and we all saw the tracks it left in the snow, it was Huge, and seemed well able to move through the snowy terrain with ease! What was it? don't know, didn't ever get close enough to get really good look, but it wasn't some joker playing a game, and it wasn't a bear or other animal any of us had ever seen! Talking with the Norwegians later, they all laughed and joked that we had proven ourselves good enough to be a part of their team, that we were good enough to see one of their illusive Big Foot in the wilds! They told us what they thought and how many they had seen and how long they might have been around, and they told stories of old encounters that are legend among their people. These and others convinced me that there is indeed something to all the stories from not just the PNW but from other areas around the world! With all the modern tech and science we have today, why have we not been able to confirm or refute such a things existence? I don't have that answer, but I can guess, My guess is that ether these science types are not looking in the right areas, or not looking for the right things, OR, it's not being reported that they have indeed found evidence! Personally, Had I ever actually seen something I could confirm with out the slightest doubt was in fact a Big Foot, I would keep my mouth shut, never to share what I discovered, and I suspect there are many who would do the same, to protect the species, to protect the legend, and to let the species continue to exist with out man interfering!

Does Big Foot Exist? Think about this: All "good" sea stories and such start out with or because of some fact from which it's based! My thoughts are that at some time in the mid to late 1800's and before, there was indeed something living in the PNW that inspired these camp stories! What was it, what kind of animal inspired this folklore? I'm of the thought that a long lost/un discovered humanoid species developed independently along side modern man, and yet remained isolated and hidden long after today's man became the dominate species! Given the very dense forests and remoteness of the PNW, why not? This species had to learn to adapt to living among other apex predators and because of that, became very good at remaining hidden, while developing needed skills to continue to exist! What if this species buries it's dead? Not saying one way or the other, but given the independent stories that have come from past times before the interwebs and such, often with no knowledge of other areas that have legends simmiler, it's quite possible such creatures did/do exist!
As a Young Airman living the high speed low drag life style, I found my self training with foreign friendly mil. operations, and We shared some pretty good stories between us. My good friends in the Norwegian Army had many stories and legends that pre date the American experience, same with many other nations I had the pleasure of visiting! With such similarities, why couldn't such a thing be possible? Hangin from a canopy several thousand feet above a steep valley at night with no moon or light sources, and decent N.O.D. I saw something on the ground below me in the snow near the edge of the clearing we were going to be landing, it was YUGE, given I was high above it, and could make it out through the contorted view of my Night Optics! As I got lower and closer, and circling to slow my decent and keep the others in my stick in sight, this creature moved across the clearing's edge and off into the trees, likely unaware of what was coming down on top of it! We all saw it, and we all saw the tracks it left in the snow, it was Huge, and seemed well able to move through the snowy terrain with ease! What was it? don't know, didn't ever get close enough to get really good look, but it wasn't some joker playing a game, and it wasn't a bear or other animal any of us had ever seen! Talking with the Norwegians later, they all laughed and joked that we had proven ourselves good enough to be a part of their team, that we were good enough to see one of their illusive Big Foot in the wilds! They told us what they thought and how many they had seen and how long they might have been around, and they told stories of old encounters that are legend among their people. These and others convinced me that there is indeed something to all the stories from not just the PNW but from other areas around the world! With all the modern tech and science we have today, why have we not been able to confirm or refute such a things existence? I don't have that answer, but I can guess, My guess is that ether these science types are not looking in the right areas, or not looking for the right things, OR, it's not being reported that they have indeed found evidence! Personally, Had I ever actually seen something I could confirm with out the slightest doubt was in fact a Big Foot, I would keep my mouth shut, never to share what I discovered, and I suspect there are many who would do the same, to protect the species, to protect the legend, and to let the species continue to exist with out man interfering!

Thanks for sharing man. I definitely think more people have seen them then people know

No poopy...There I were, sweating in the heat of one of the 65 days a year that the northwest forty received the rays of the sun. The bicycle was heavy in my grasp and my feet fell heavily on the beaten shale of the carefully crowned road that traced the edge of the upper field. I was totally exposed. Relief would come, I only had to make it to the cover of the timberline. Tall firs, cedars, hemlocks and maples were just steps away...I could see the shaded road ahead floating in the mirage. I coaxed myself to continue, relief would come.

I entered the protection of the timber, the solar bombardment ended. My pace slowed while under the dense canopy, I would enjoy the refuge before attempting the winding steep grade of the driveway. Sweat was blurring my eyes, I stopped and pulled the folded bandana out of the rear pocket of my pitch and grass stained jeans. As I wiped away the moisture, my face turned toward the forest below the road. My eyes focused on....

"BIGFOOT!!!!"

I dropped the bandana, reached for the handle grip and was pushing my bike within the first thud of my heart. The tall figure, in the woods below, would not turn my head again. My focus was home. Rounding the fist turn of the driveway, I could hear my dog barking but I couldn't see her. Her barking got louder, I pushed past the dozer that was parked just off the driveway. Maggie's fur was standing tall from between her ears, all the way down her spine, and to the tuff on her rump. She knew the creature was there, but she did not leave the cover and concealment of the dozer.

My lungs were hurting, my heart was pounding. I dropped the bike when I reached the front lawn, but kept my pace until I reached the clothesline. The words weren't there. I stood panting and wheezing in front of my Mother as she looked down while pinning a shirt.

"Bi...Biii..Biig...Big.."

"BIGFOOT!"

My Mother rolled her eyes and told me to get a drink from the garden hose that was running near the strawberry beds. She listened, but didn't seem to be as concerned about the creature as I. My breathing settled and as my heart returned to my chest, I was able to provide a full debrief with all the details. Tall creature, standing next to a fir snag, Maggie behind defensive cover... She hung the last article of clothing and coaxed me inside the house. I didn't feel safe.

Later that evening I had so many questions for my Father. Can Bigfoot open doors? Would it break my bedroom window? Will Maggie be safe outside? He told me everything would be fine. My Brother sat on the couch reading, only bringing his eyes above the edge of the binding to catch Dad's reaction to each of my questions. I didn't sleep well, even with Maggie right outside my window.

A few days passed...

Like most weekend mornings, we waited for Dad to come to the breakfast table. He walked into the room greeting us and looked out the large front windows that overlook the upper field. He would usually just take a glance, maybe remark on the weather, and then find his place at the table. This time, his gaze was fixed. Without moving his head, he asked for me to fetch his binoculars. I did. He put them to his eyes, paused.....

"BIGFOOT!"

He grinned, handed me the glasses and showed me where to look. He said it was one of the largest black bears that he had ever witnessed. It was big. Even from a distance. We took turns watching it with the binoculars, as it grazed on mint and grasses that grew along the alder-lined creek in the upper field. My Father was fond of all the creatures on the homestead and had high regard for the ones that nourished us. I think he hated hornets though...don't know many that express a fondness to those.

Timber was a major portion of our livelihood. Dad told me about the long lasting damage that a black bear can cause within a timber unit. He showed me the scars on the cedars and the stripped bark on the young firs while we cruised the hills and lower valley. Piles of scat, large impressions in the dark loose soil near water's edge, and wide paths pushed through the tall grass in the fields were all signs that Bigfoot was planning to stay.

It was late summer, I had enjoyed watching and learning about Bigfoot, but fall would arrive soon.

She was a big and a beautiful creature. She bought nourishment to our family, through the many ways that nature can provide.

This is my story of Bigfoot, or maybe a story of my Dad.

Both are gone now, but they are still alive in this cherished memory.

(I appreciate You taking the time to read this and apologize for length, punctuation and spelling errors)

Regards,
MT

I do not "believe" in Big Foot....but I also do not outright dismiss stories about him from folks that I have no reason to distrust.

Just tossing this out there....
What if Sasquatch is a spiritual presence or a "personification " so to speak of the wilderness...
Instead of a truly physical being....?

Again not saying that I believe that either..Just something to think about.
Andy

My buddy claims they are nephilim. Its an interesting theory, and explains the stories from ape Canyon.

My buddy claims they are nephilim. Its an interesting theory, and explains the stories from ape Canyon.
Could be. We are told in the last days it would be like it was in the days of Noah when everyone did as they please, and the Creator was totally rejected and not on anyone's radar. During those days fallen angels are claimed to have mated with the daughters of men and polluted the DNA chain. It was said Noah was pure in his generations, ie, no compromised DNA, but the wives of Ham, Shem and Japheth may have had the compromised DNA in their bloodline. Who knows...

No poopy...There I were, sweating in the heat of one of the 65 days a year that the northwest forty received the rays of the sun. The bicycle was heavy in my grasp and my feet fell heavily on the beaten shale of the carefully crowned road that traced the edge of the upper field. I was totally exposed. Relief would come, I only had to make it to the cover of the timberline. Tall firs, cedars, hemlocks and maples were just steps away...I could see the shaded road ahead floating in the mirage. I coaxed myself to continue, relief would come.

I entered the protection of the timber, the solar bombardment ended. My pace slowed while under the dense canopy, I would enjoy the refuge before attempting the winding steep grade of the driveway. Sweat was blurring my eyes, I stopped and pulled the folded bandana out of the rear pocket of my pitch and grass stained jeans. As I wiped away the moisture, my face turned toward the forest below the road. My eyes focused on....

"BIGFOOT!!!!"

I dropped the bandana, reached for the handle grip and was pushing my bike within the first thud of my heart. The tall figure, in the woods below, would not turn my head again. My focus was home. Rounding the fist turn of the driveway, I could hear my dog barking but I couldn't see her. Her barking got louder, I pushed past the dozer that was parked just off the driveway. Maggie's fur was standing tall from between her ears, all the way down her spine, and to the tuff on her rump. She knew the creature was there, but she did not leave the cover and concealment of the dozer.

My lungs were hurting, my heart was pounding. I dropped the bike when I reached the front lawn, but kept my pace until I reached the clothesline. The words weren't there. I stood panting and wheezing in front of my Mother as she looked down while pinning a shirt.

"Bi...Biii..Biig...Big.."

"BIGFOOT!"

My Mother rolled her eyes and told me to get a drink from the garden hose that was running near the strawberry beds. She listened, but didn't seem to be as concerned about the creature as I. My breathing settled and as my heart returned to my chest, I was able to provide a full debrief with all the details. Tall creature, standing next to a fir snag, Maggie behind defensive cover... She hung the last article of clothing and coaxed me inside the house. I didn't feel safe.

Later that evening I had so many questions for my Father. Can Bigfoot open doors? Would it break my bedroom window? Will Maggie be safe outside? He told me everything would be fine. My Brother sat on the couch reading, only bringing his eyes above the edge of the binding to catch Dad's reaction to each of my questions. I didn't sleep well, even with Maggie right outside my window.

A few days passed...

Like most weekend mornings, we waited for Dad to come to the breakfast table. He walked into the room greeting us and looked out the large front windows that overlook the upper field. He would usually just take a glance, maybe remark on the weather, and then find his place at the table. This time, his gaze was fixed. Without moving his head, he asked for me to fetch his binoculars. I did. He put them to his eyes, paused.....

"BIGFOOT!"

He grinned, handed me the glasses and showed me where to look. He said it was one of the largest black bears that he had ever witnessed. It was big. Even from a distance. We took turns watching it with the binoculars, as it grazed on mint and grasses that grew along the alder-lined creek in the upper field. My Father was fond of all the creatures on the homestead and had high regard for the ones that nourished us. I think he hated hornets though...don't know many that express a fondness to those.

Timber was a major portion of our livelihood. Dad told me about the long lasting damage that a black bear can cause within a timber unit. He showed me the scars on the cedars and the stripped bark on the young firs while we cruised the hills and lower valley. Piles of scat, large impressions in the dark loose soil near water's edge, and wide paths pushed through the tall grass in the fields were all signs that Bigfoot was planning to stay.

It was late summer, I had enjoyed watching and learning about Bigfoot, but fall would arrive soon.

She was a big and a beautiful creature. She bought nourishment to our family, through the many ways that nature can provide.

This is my story of Bigfoot, or maybe a story of my Dad.

Both are gone now, but they are still alive in this cherished memory.

(I appreciate You taking the time to read this and apologize for length, punctuation and spelling errors)

Regards,
MT
Your a super talented writer
I certainly understand those that cherish and protect there many memories of the old
Days.
That defines me to a T.
I so miss many things of my long lost past.
It's all we take with us....
Thank you...

OP should join this site: Bigfootforums.com

Be prepared for a lengthy and annoying vetting process, however. They don't suffer skeptic scoffers lightly.

But they do allow plenty of skeptics there, as long as they are respectful and approach the subject from a scientific aspect and are truly open to the possibility. Show up and start claiming all Bigfoot sightings are hoaxes and the result of too much alcohol and you will be booted.

I believe, but only after looking at hundreds of credible reports and the vast amount of physical evidence presented, including DNA tests. I've also had a weird experience I can't explain.

If you choose not to believe, then nothing short of a body splashed across the front pages of every media outlet will convince you.

But if you are open to the possibility and actually start researching the thousands of sightings and physical evidence, then most popular myths can be easily dispelled.

* How come no one has ever shot one?
* Why no DNA evidence?
* You would think one would show up on a game camera.
* All sightings are nothing but mistaken identity of bears standing upright.
* There are thousands of hunters in the woods, surely someone would have gotten clear video or killed one.

I do believe upwards of 90% of sightings are either mistaken identity or hoaxes. Heck, go to YouTube and search Bigfoot sightings and just about all of them are hoaxes. Some hoaxers are incredibly sophisticated and actually come from within the Bigfoot Enthusiast community. They do it to gain notoriety and credibility. They are the Uncle Toms of the Bigfoot world.

But yeah, there are hundreds of credible tracks on record, tree structures discovered all the time that these creatures create to mark territory, DNA samples, audio recordings that experts say were made by a large primate, and some pretty darn convincing home videos that were not hoaxes.

One of the most convincing videos I've seen was taken by a family on Christmas Day. They were inside their home and took video of a large bipedal creature hanging around their property in the treeline. The family dog went out after it and then came running back to the house in absolute terror. Hard to get the family dog in on the hoax. Just tried to find the video and came up empty.

There are a few videos like that out there that are very convincing.

Why no inspection of the tracks behind the garage after it left the area? That woulda been helpful...

DNR land out past Allyn, WA, I have had three unexplained encounters. Horrid smell I have never in all my life smelled around a clearing. Few trips later to the same spot, camped overnight, saw a huge 8' or taller "figure" shaking a tree above our cam sight over the river at 11pm. I hollered and it ran off on two legs. Skip ahead a few years, same spot, by myself, and was hanging around the river for a few hours. I had rocks thrown into the river near me over a 20min time span. They came up through the brush on the hill, and I could hear them dropping down to splash about 5' from where I was creek walking. Always close. Harassing me. Then it stopped. Never heard anything before or after, and I couldnt spot anything in the trees. I packed up and left.

I have a long list of bizarre encounters in my life. Lots of unexplained and surreal. At this point I just say, weird bubblegum happens. We can't possibly understand or explain it all. But I do carry an AK when I hike now. I've seen bear up close, and homeless camps as well. I dont know how legal it is, but I always carry now.

Do I believe in "bigfoot"? Not really. Do I think its very possible that at somepoint when native people crossed the land bridge from siberia to alaska during the last ice age some kind of great ape came with them and has since gone extinct? Its possible.

That being said I have on 2 occasions seen something I couldn't really explain while in the Cascades.

The first time I was 8 or 9 years old hiking along a creek outside of Sisters Oregon where my parents had a cabin up until they divorced. We were about a mile behind the cabin when my stopped me and real quietly said "bear". About 200 yards a head of us on a straight stretch of creek was what looked like a reddish brown bear standing in kinda middle of the creek towards the opposite side of the creek. We stared at it for about 10 seconds when it looked like it stood up on 2 feet, and ran on 2 feet out of the creek and into the brush up and semi steep hillside. We went to wear it had been standing and couldn't see any tracks. My dad's been telling this story for year and I now barely remember it 20 years later.

The second incident I was 19 and had brought a nice young lady to go camping in the Gifford Pinchot along the muddy river about 5 miles North East of the Eagles Cliff store. I had woken up in the middle of the night to take a leak and had the hair raise on the back of my neck. It was super super quiet and really clear that night. At this point I heard some crashing on the hillside in front of me and I could see a very large something moving in the moon light across the shale face and into the tree line. Im not exactly sure what it was but it was enough for me to pack up the tent and for us to sleep in the car in front of the Eagles Cliff store for the night.

The woods are a weird place and the root of a lot of man kinds legends. Whether real or not, I'm sure people see all kinds of strange things that they can't explain.

They slip into our reality from another, or perhaps we see them through a "window" into their universe. Parallel dimension theories abound. It would explain a lot, like how there are no bodies or archeological evidence.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top