JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am tired of all of the sad and stressful threads so I wanted to give those of us who just enjoy our firearms and like to talk about them the opening for a lighter more fun topic.

Budget guns for people just getting started. What I mean by this is not a Hi Point but a good gun that you can get new for say 350-400 dollars.

I now own quite a few different guns but starting out I went through a lot of trial and error to find good quality weapons at good prices.

#1 best budget gun in my book is the Ruger P95 9mm which you can walk out the door with brand new at a shop for 319.00
For a first weapon it has all the safety features you could want in a full size pistol such as a decocker and a good capacity, comes with two mags and is very accurate and extremely reliable compared to other guns at that price level. It even has a rail for when you get a nice check from grandma or whatever to put a laser or light on the gun. I would say it does not leave much to be desired for someone looking for a quality reliable gun with a lot of features

If you are going concealed then #2 is a Taurus 605 .357 magnum revolver that is in that same price range..of course a lower capacity but with 2000+ rounds through mine it is a damn good gun and if you practice (which you of course should and can do so for pretty cheap using 38 specials) you do not need a whole lot of shots with a .357 critical defense round in the chamber as it is the round that has had the most one shot kills to date. Also a revolver is just going to work when you pull the trigger. There is no learning curve for cleaning or clearing a failure of any kind. If a round is a dud you pull again and bad guy goes bye bye.

I have and still do own both of these. I have purchased more expensive guns and moved on to things that fit my needs as far as concealability and so on but put yourself in a persons shoes who is brand new to the idea of a pistol and on a tight budget...What in this day of age with so many options do you recomend they purchase? I am sure many have a lot of options to give someone a good shove in the right direction to stay away from junk

I just recently became really interested in a K31 for that very reason. Great quality at a great price. Now if I could only find one..the straight bolt action is really intriguing to me and I seen guys on youtube stretching them out to 1000m plus with open sights. BTW great thread idea, I'm finding myself getting sucked in to all the doom and gloom myself.

A good budget gun is a used Smith and Wesson Model 10 or 15 .38 Special revolver. they are well built and accurate and have better triggers than the new stuff.

In auto pistostols, There are many Browning Hi Powers coming back from Israel and other countries that go for good prices. You can also find some old police turn in Smith and Wesson 5904 and 5904 9mm pistols for good prices. There are also some STAR automatics and even some Brazilian made Colt 1911A1's returning home.

Just recently bought my first gun, got a Ruger SR9, and I've been very happy with it. Got it for $400 new. Plenty of safety features, abidextrious safety and mag eject with no tweaking needed, and seems pretty accurate. Can't speak to reliability myself, only have 350 rounds thru it, but sounds like it has a good rep from what I've read online.

I just recently became really interested in a K31 for that very reason. Great quality at a great price. Now if I could only find one..the straight bolt action is really intriguing to me and I seen guys on youtube stretching them out to 1000m plus with open sights. BTW great thread idea, I'm finding myself getting sucked in to all the doom and gloom myself.

You will like it when you find one, neat gun and good shooters and alot of history behind the stocks butt plate on a plastic tag.

You will like it when you find one, neat gun and good shooters and alot of history behind the stocks butt plate on a plastic tag.

For around 400 at every day prices I definitely like the Ruger SR9/SR9c there. Nice feel, reliable, and backed by a company that knows how to treat their customers. When theyre on sale for around 399, its hard to look no further than an XD. Just my opinions... I picked up an M&P9 Shield for $400 when they first came out and that gun made me forget about the SR9c I regretted selling a few months back.

I have always liked the pistols in 9x18. For the most part, they are tough, reliable, accurate and easy to carry.

While the price has gone up quite a bit since the late 80's when i first started shooting them, they can still be found for about $200.00.

I agree with the CZ 82 for sure, have not shot the others besides the Rugers people have listed as Ruger really seems to never let me down. I have a CZ 83 .380 it holds 12 rounds and is a super solid metal framed military surplus style gun. It shoots and shoots though and has never had a single issue. I love that little piece. Picked it up for 225 used and it did not look like it had been shot.

Yeah I was sucked into all the threads as well. I have never seen that gun but just checked it out and it looks like it would be a lot of fun to take out to the range

My son just bought a really fun rifle a Henry frontier .22 lever action octagon barrel real nice Walnut stock and a blued (well painted) reciever. We took it out and had a blast blowing up a tin can full of misc .22 ammo I had mostly junk dating back 25 + years.

We also shot it off the bench and it does quite good at 50 yards with open buckhorn sights. And the Quality is MADE IN THE USA nice.

Ruger P89. Built like a tank, goes bang every time the trigger is pulled, and the heft of the frame soaks up what little felt recoil there is. Slap hogue stocks on it and it's just about perfect for a budget semi auto. Good home defender, good open carry gun, good knockin' around the woods gun, good truck gun. Not so great for concealed carry if you're small or weak. If your name is Mongo and you like to "smash good" - it'd be a good CC piece.

Ruger 10/22 plane jane wood stocked blued gun, if you can find one. Less than $200 - one of the best .22's on the market. Marlin Model 60 is on the list too. About $170 for a new one. Accurate and reliable, loads of fun to shoot.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top