JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Here is a good link with the major brands and videos of their operation.

Hornady Lock-N-Load Bullet Feeder

But he's from Bothel.....
joke

Regarding Hornady -vs- Dillon, here are some thoughts- I'll compare 5-station presses with auto-index:

Dillon XL-650:
Advantages:
- Case feed system has "rails" that brass is guided through - very reliable!
- Fit/finish is great
- Smooth operation for long-haul loading sessions
- Overall least number of stoppages while loading - very little tweaking needed

Disadvantages:
- General: setup times are longer
- Powder measure doesn't handle rifle powders as well
- Dies are close together, not all dies work (Ex: Hornady sizer is not long enough (threads) )
- Cost (a bit more expensive)
- Priming system is continuous (you'll overflow a bunch while setting up)

Hornady Lock-N-Load AP:
Advantages:
- Lock-N-Load bushing system is GREAT (freedom to easily dump powder measure, mix-n-match dies, etc)
- Powder measure is best-in-class
- Cost
- Priming system is on-demand and works very well

Disadvantages:
- Case feed system occasionally needs more tweaks

Just some thoughts for you... I would go with an auto-index progressive based on what you're wanting to load (I consider auto-index an important safety feature!)

Thanks and I already bookmarked your page to go back for reference.

Just some thoughts for you... I would go with an auto-index progressive based on what you're wanting to load (I consider auto-index an important safety feature!)

I have to agree with the safety feature.Especially when starting out.You have to load a shell and a bullet then index.I kinda look at the whole thing as safer actually

One thought on the set up times.How fast do you really need to change over? I know simpler is better,but do you guys really swap over for multiple calibers in a sitting?
Rhetorical,I know somes y'all are nuts.

Grunwald,Miles Teg,I don't care who started it your both in time out

I was not insinuating anything. I did not know where it was made so I've asked the question (it might not make a difference to you where the stuff you buy is made, but it does to many).QUOTE]

Rofl. Your first sentence just comfirms what I said you were doing by asking where it was made. I never said it was superior other than the powder measure which is a pretty well established fact. The Dillon measure works but isn't quite as accurate nor works as well as the Hornady with longer powders. RCBS licensed the H measure and offers it with their press as well.

To state again:

Both Dillon and Hornady are great presses.
Both can produce excellent reloads.
Both have great customer service.
Both will last you a lifetime.
The Hornady is less expensive.
The Hornady powder measure can be used with a wider range of powders.

Go Blue and be happy.
Go Red and be happy.
Go Green and be happy.

One thought on the set up times.How fast do you really need to change over? I know simpler is better,but do you guys really swap over for multiple calibers in a sitting?

I usually load 1-2000 rounds at a time, usually not in one setting though. I set it up in one caliber and load until all my brass is full then change it over on the last loading session so it is read to go on the next caliber in line. It doesnt take much time to change over unless you are going from pistol with small primer to say rifle with large primer....just more things to change.

For a cheap pistol bullet feeder for the 650 just Google $28.00 bullet feeder.....just did this to mine and it works great! Some say it really isnt that much faster but I say it is when you have 10 feeder tubes and can set in front of the tv and fill the tubes with bullets to be ready when you want to load :s0155:

Ohh and here...drink this glass of blue koolaid.....:s0114:

Rhetorical,I know somes y'all are nuts.

Grunwald,Miles Teg,I don't care who started it your both in time out

Lol, ok I will go sit in the corner:s0114::s0155:;).

As for caliber swaps. If you are using the lock n load or the Dillon/RCBS tool head - the dies changes are a snap and not a big deal. The time will mainly be spent on if you need to switch primer size, replacing the shell plate, adjusting your case/bullet feeder, and dialing in the powder measure. This process can take 5 minutes or 20 depending on what you need to do. Another thing you can do is get an extra measure and set it up for rifle and keep the other for pistol. Saves some aggravation of changing rotors and getting the CA height correct.

By looking at Ultimate Reloader, and other videos on Youtube, you can get a good feel for how long/easy the caliber swaps are between brands. Pay specific attention to primer and shell plate swaps and what is involved.

BTW, you should also take a look at the RCBS Pro 2000. I like the tool head and the primer strip idea. Cost wise, however, it is going to run you more than the Hornady.

I reload 308, 22-250, 9mm, 38, 357, 44, 44 mag and 45 acp on my 550. Easy to set up, cranks out consistant rounds, and their customer service is second to none. No plans to upgrade to a 650...reckon I can still set a bullet on top of a case...

Yeah the quality I've seen on RCBS so far hasn't impressed me.I mean the rock chucker I have is a beast but the dies suck compared to the redding I just bought to replace the RCBS.

I can attest that the customer service at Hornady is awesome. I can't say that the Hornady products are better than anything other than Lee stuff because I have no experience with other brands (other than Lee). I can say that my Hornady LnL was money well spent and has been great to use now for 4 years. It has spit out 40/45/5.56 by the thousands since.

DO NOT listen to ultimatereloader.
He is sponsored and makes products for Hornady.
He's also flat out wrong (especially on the powder measure comment). The Dillon powder measure is far superior than the Hornady powder measure for extruded powders.

He's also flat out wrong (especially on the powder measure comment). The Dillon powder measure is far superior than the Hornady powder measure for extruded powders.

Since I have no experience with Dillon products I will have to take ultimatereloader and you at face value. However, ultimatereloader is accurate in his comments about the Hornady product. He was complimentary of the Dillon products as well. Interesting.

I've had a Hornady LnL Ap for a couple of years. Added the case feeder several months ago. Absolutely love it. Mostly 40SW, 9mm and .223. I'll do 200 - 500 rnds at a sitting.
I have a separate RCBS Turret press that's set up for 308 or 30-06. I use the RCBS APS on it which is absolutely the cat's meow.

Since I have no experience with Dillon products I will have to take ultimatereloader and you at face value. However, ultimatereloader is accurate in his comments about the Hornady product. He was complimentary of the Dillon products as well. Interesting.

I nunno :s0092: but he does have a complete Dillon section.I'm guessing he aint paying for much equipment and he does seem to know what he's doing.

Exactly what products does he manufacture for Hornady? (none, you're wrong!) He manufactures products for himself that fit Hornady's press. As far as the Dillon powder measure being superior/more consistent to anyone's other than a Lee autodisk, you're wrong again.

Please get your ducks in a row and state your research before you question someone's objectivity/qualifications on a public forum.

Here is some advise from a long-time reloader.
I have a Dillon RL1000 for pistol and .223, RL-550 for volume rifle, RL-450 and T-5 Redding Turret for low volume rifle.
For Pistol, I use Dillon dies; they figured out the die details for volume reloading the best.
For Rifle, Redding Dies are my favorite, using carbide size buttons (for inside neck expanding) are the best set up.
THe ONLY powder measure for extruded powders is the QUICK MEASURE, yeah spendy, but a true +- .1 grain accuracy.
http://www.quick-measure.com/
IF you use Ball or flake powders, Dillon, Hornady, Redding, RCBS, Lyman, LEE powder measures are all ok.
Looking at the cost TODAY for multiple calibers, I think I would go with the Hornady LnL, to start progressive reloading.
Knowing what can and does go wrong, I would never use an auto bullet feeder.

Please get your ducks in a row and state your research before you question someone's objectivity/qualifications on a public forum.

Right....Not to berate or verify what anyone has said,but that just aint gunna happen.They even let me have access to these things!lol

Well your the second on the bullet feeder.The case feeders are GTG in most cases?

If you weren't aware, Hornady LnL AP is on sale at Cabelas and has free shipping.
Plus, they also have shell plates and dies for some calibers on sale.
I've looked at many sites and shipping is >$30 from most of them.
There is also a Hornady offering where you get 500 bullets of the caliber of your choice, you just pay the shipping (if purchased before Jan 1 2012).

I have a complete LnL on my wish list.

I watched my local gunsmith use a 550 to reload 223. He jammed ~every 20 rounds. Based on what I have heard about the 550 being such a great press, I would conclude he was an idiot.
I used a Lee Loadmaster for 3 years for 9mm/40S&W/45ACP. Everyone would tell you avoid them like the plague. Mine worked great -- I would sit down and bang out 500 rounds in an hour, without a single hiccup. Could probably have gone faster but I would pull out every 30th round or so and check the powder amount on a scale.

I would highly recommend a powder checker (too much, too little) because if you're going to watch TV while doing this, you won't be looking.

I can tell you, having owned a Lee and examined a Hornady LnL AP carefully at Cabelas, the Hornady is much, much better made.
I have Lee and Redding Dies - I found both brands to be excellent.

No matter who's press you purchase, the effort you put into setting it up and dialing it in will pay off in how well it works and the quality of rounds it spits out.

If you weren't aware, Hornady LnL AP is on sale at Cabelas and has free shipping.
Plus, they also have shell plates and dies for some calibers on sale.
I've looked at many sites and shipping is >$30 from most of them.
There is also a Hornady offering where you get 500 bullets of the caliber of your choice, you just pay the shipping (if purchased before Jan 1 2012).

I have a complete LnL on my wish list.

I watched my local gunsmith use a 550 to reload 223. He jammed ~every 20 rounds. Based on what I have heard about the 550 being such a great press, I would conclude he was an idiot.
I used a Lee Loadmaster for 3 years for 9mm/40S&W/45ACP. Everyone would tell you avoid them like the plague. Mine worked great -- I would sit down and bang out 500 rounds in an hour, without a single hiccup. Could probably have gone faster but I would pull out every 30th round or so and check the powder amount on a scale.

I would highly recommend a powder checker (too much, too little) because if you're going to watch TV while doing this, you won't be looking.

I can tell you, having owned a Lee and examined a Hornady LnL AP carefully at Cabelas, the Hornady is much, much better made.
I have Lee and Redding Dies - I found both brands to be excellent.

No matter who's press you purchase, the effort you put into setting it up and dialing it in will pay off in how well it works and the quality of rounds it spits out.

How do you jam a 550? Everything but the priming and powder system is manual. Unless the press had a broken or cracked part, there is nothing to jam.

Dillon isn't in any store fronts right?
And both Cabella's and wholesale stock Hornady,with Cabella's having the LnL set up in Lacey I believe
I'll have to go down there next week and check out the presses again

Oh and how much is the auto index upgrade? I'm guessing around $130?

Dillon isn't in any store fronts right?
And both Cabella's and wholesale stock Hornady,with Cabella's having the LnL set up in Lacey I believe
I'll have to go down there next week and check out the presses again

Oh and how much is the auto index upgrade? I'm guessing around $130?

Quite a few stores stock Dillon. Kesselring's in Alger and Adventure Sports in Lynnwood are two that I know of.

As far as the "upgrade" for a 550, it's called a 650. Just sell the 550 and buy a 650. The way Dillon Presses hold their value the "upgrade" wouldn't cost much.

The poster's comment "Based on what I have heard about the 550 being such a great press, I would conclude he was an idiot." pretty much summed it up.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top