JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm really thinking hard about a progressive press lately.I think if I get the better dies and components (better than the RCBS I first bought) that I'll have good luck .I mean I bought the redding dies and all was well.

So I'll be loading 223/556,9mm,10mm,45ACP and maybe 7.62X something.It will be for semi auto so not highly precise but for volume.
More calibers may be added

I will still load the 270 on the single stage along with my loads for the bull AR.

So the 550,650 Dillons? Or Hornady has some good options.
And I will at some time add the case and bullet feeders.
Hornady would save a couple hundred.And I do like the mechanical advance?(whatever that's called:huh:)

I know how much I'm getting into $$ wise,which one will give me less headaches?

Thanks

Mike

I like my dillon 550b,it'll load all your rounds u've listed,and more.Howver,having to buy the conversion kits for almost every die change gets real spendy. If I had it to do over again,Hornady would get the nod from a purley financial standpoint.
the 650 dillon costs more money to change over,and takes more time.better suited for one caliber,imho,or few caliber changes.
since rifle rounds must be measured,and usually trimmed after sizing,they are a bit slower to run on the dillon,also ball powders measure MUCH better than flake or stick on the Dillon. imho,ymmv,etc

I like my 550, easier to change toolheads then the lock and load, I have about 500$ into my 550 and its setup for 223, .40/10, 9mm and 45, I Also have the .30 powder funnel i feel the need to crank out 06, thats in addition to dies I already had, im using RCBS dies mostly, a lee set for 223. Keeping the primer tubes filled is the biggest pain, but other then that its great.
You can find 550's for 350~ and I just ordered conversion kits when i saw deals, found or peiced mine together for under 25$ each, so for each caliber I figure 45$ or so Lots of used dillon stuff out there just have to be fast and catch it, I would love a 650 but dont need the additional station and the $$ in conversions is not worth the speed.

Oh and theres alot of crossover of shellplates, 9mm/40 are the same plate so are .45/308/06/270/243 and 223/380 so three conversion kits gets you 9 or so calibers

Well I am a dillon user myself. I have a 550, 650 and 1050, the 550 doesn't get used much anymore but use the 650 and 1050 all the time. If I were to narrow it down to one, it would be the 650 and caliber changes can be done in about 15 minutes. I load .30 carbine, 9mm,.45acp, .308,.30-06, 7.62x39, .38 spl, .357 mag and .50AE on the 650 and 5.56 on the 1050. I have looked at the hornady in stores and while they look nice, would still go Dillon if I were buying tomorrow. My 550 and 650 presses are over 15 years old and very few parts have been needed but when you call Dillon for parts, they always say "no problem, we'll send them out no charge". Gotta love the no b.s. warranty!

No Hornady experience, but another +1 for Dillon. I have a 550 and have loaded 38/357 up to 500 S&W mag pistol and 7mm-08, 30-06, 375 Ruger and 45-70 rifle on it. I'd buy another.

I have the 550 and SDB.
So far I have only used the SDB. It is setup to reload for my 45. I think it's a great little machine.
I got it new and it was relatively easy to setup, although their instruction booklet is not that great - youtube sure helped.

The 550 was bought used and it is mounted on my bench and waiting for use. I am not sure how long I will use it before moving up to the 650. After using the SDB and enjoying the auto indexing feature, I am not sure if I want to deal with that extra task that the 550 requires.

Still another vote for Dillon from me. They are the ones who created the NO BS lifetime warranty, and even though other companies might claim to do the same, you have to give credit to the original.
I've used it twice - one of the primer feed tubes' "lips/tip" were defective and they sent me some new ones. The used Dillon came with a non-working low primer alarm and they've sent me one of those as well.
It's a good deal for them and for me. They keep me happy and I buy more of their stuff.

So if I'm mostly doing 9mm and 223 the 650 isn't too spendy for adds.
I really think the auto indexing is the shizzle and if I'm adding the auto feeders,I'll need the auto indexing

So Dillon makes their own (or brands it) case feeder,but I don't see the bullet feeders on their site.
What is the best way to go for these? (both feeders)

Thanks for the responses and I was leaning towards the 650 but needed a little push.

Save your money and get the Hornady. You can get the LnL with casefeed for less than the 650 and the calibers swaps are really easy to do and inexpensive. Both have great customer service and both will last a lifetime. Hornady's powder measure is a lot better than the Dillon for handling different powders. I believe many have converted their Dillon's to take the Hornday measure so that is an option. Dillon is great but it doesn't do anything better than the Hornady other than spend more of your money.

Bullet Feeders are limited to only using fully jacketed bullets and are not for use with lead/hardcast. Case feeders are pretty easy to setup and dial in. I would start off without any feeder since you are just stepping up to a progressive press. If you get the LnL AP with case feeder - just hold off on installing it until you get the mechanics down.

Save your money and get the Hornady. You can get the LnL with casefeed for less than the 650 and the calibers swaps are really easy to do and inexpensive. Both have great customer service and both will last a lifetime. Hornady's powder measure is a lot better than the Dillon for handling different powders. I believe many have converted their Dillon's to take the Hornday measure so that is an option. Dillon is great but it doesn't do anything better than the Hornady other than spend more of your money.

and where is it manufactured?

and where is it manufactured?

Made in USA... What does that have to do with anything? Let's try and not start a juvenile red versus blue versus green arguement. I have some blue stuff on the bench as well. That doesn't change the facts that the Hornady does everything the Dillon does and for less. Because you are insinuating that it is made in China, Taiwan or at the North Pole doesn't change the basic facts. If you feel buying Dillon makes you more of a patriot then great(but why then were you recommending and FAL or AK in another post?).

Cheers

Made in USA... What does that have to do with anything? Let's try and not start a juvenile red versus blue versus green arguement. I have some blue stuff on the bench as well. That doesn't change the facts that the Hornady does everything the Dillon does and for less. Because you are insinuating that it is made in China, Taiwan or at the North Pole doesn't change the basic facts. If you feel buying Dillon makes you more of a patriot then great(but why then were you recommending and FAL or AK in another post?).

Cheers

I was not insinuating anything. I did not know where it was made so I've asked the question (it might not make a difference to you where the stuff you buy is made, but it does to many).
Are you feeling that insecure about someone asking a simple question about a product that you seem so enthused about.
As to starting a "juvenile red versus blue versus green argument" I have to point out that I did no such thing. In my previous post, I simply stated my opinion and experience with Dillon and nothing else. You however felt it was necessary to point out the superiority of Hornady.

I have zero experience with progressives and feel like this is my next move once the 2012 budget is approved by the boss/wife. :)

MilesTeg, what would you like to see on your LnL that Dillon did right on their 550 or 650?

To the Dillon guys, can anyone explain the 650 indexing thingie? Is there anything in your 650 you would like to see in your 550 and why?

To the Dillon guys, can anyone explain the 650 indexing thingie?

What's to explain. It works like a simple ratchet. Raise the ram to run the cases into the various dies and when the ram lowers there is a simple cam on the bottom of the ram head that advances the shell plate. Works great. Mine has worked flawlessly for over 100k rounds.

About the only things I'd like to see different on the 650 --------hmmmm---------hmmmmmmmmmmm, well, nothing. It works great as is.

Regarding Hornady -vs- Dillon, here are some thoughts- I'll compare 5-station presses with auto-index:

Dillon XL-650:
Advantages:
- Case feed system has "rails" that brass is guided through - very reliable!
- Fit/finish is great
- Smooth operation for long-haul loading sessions
- Overall least number of stoppages while loading - very little tweaking needed

Disadvantages:
- General: setup times are longer
- Powder measure doesn't handle rifle powders as well
- Dies are close together, not all dies work (Ex: Hornady sizer is not long enough (threads) )
- Cost (a bit more expensive)
- Priming system is continuous (you'll overflow a bunch while setting up)

Hornady Lock-N-Load AP:
Advantages:
- Lock-N-Load bushing system is GREAT (freedom to easily dump powder measure, mix-n-match dies, etc)
- Powder measure is best-in-class
- Cost
- Priming system is on-demand and works very well

Disadvantages:
- Case feed system occasionally needs more tweaks

Just some thoughts for you... I would go with an auto-index progressive based on what you're wanting to load (I consider auto-index an important safety feature!)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top