JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm busy selling a lot of things (consolidating two houses worth of stuff into one) and not happy at all with all the BS responses I'm getting from Craigslist. For years, I had great luck buying/selling/trading guitars, amps and kayaks there. But lately, every response I get seems to be one of those generically illiterate bot-generated things used to gather emails, phone numbers, addresses, names, etc.
- wat is u best price this item
- is it still available
- were are u
- im interested can i see it
Maybe I'm passing up a few legit opportunities, but they're all phrased identically, and no one ever answered me back when I (used to) reply.

When I gripe about this at work, everyone says I should try LETGO.COM, but no one who recommends it has actually used it. Anyone here try it? Impressions? I'm hesitant to register for yet another time-waster if that's all it is.

I have things to sell this weekend (dresser, acoustic bass guitar, shopsmith with accessories and a couple trumpets), and nothing but the generic CL botspam to show for it thus far. (BTW, I'm trying to stay local and not get involved in shipping to distant eBay buyers.)

Thanks in advance for any real-experience advice with letgo or similar!

Last Edited:
Craigslist flakes... lol. Doesn't letgo ask you become verified or something? I don't trust them as far as that goes. I think that CL already has the market share and unfortunately everything that goes with it. I would just ignore people who ask stupid questions. Just make sure you don't leave any room in the ad for stupid questions.

My wife uses the Offer Up app which is similar to Letgo. You don't get the bot generated responses but you still get your fair share of flakes like Craigslist. You list an item for $100 and you get an offer for $15. She's even had some say I'll take it, then 5 seconds later, say never mind. She uses both Craigslist and Offer Up and I'd say its about the same.

Lol.

If you want second hand women's clothing and piss poor photos... use Letgo or Offerup.

Any fool with a smartphone can take bad photos and post clutter items with no descriptions on them.

Just as dumb as CL, if not worse.

I've had great Craigslist transactions(once got a bersa thunder .380 for $85) and the occasional flake..Offer up / letgo are mostly meth fund raising sights... there are some good deals, and some "price only good until midnight tonight"o_O... a month or so ago there was a guy with a a full set of standard mil spec carbine furniture, all in Magpul boxes. pics of the receipts asking the magpul price... I sent him a message telling him of his mistake, but a week later he still had the same add up.
Problem with these sights is people thinking their used stuff is worth new retail, and then the"well I saw the same one on craigslist for $xxx" making it hard to get a good deal anymore.
I preferred the good ol Nickle Ads and newspaper classifieds... at least when you have to pay for your ad, you're more likely to show up, and ask a fair price. Not much in there anymore:( IMG_0683.JPG

I typically have had good luck on CL. But do get the low ball offers fairly often. I always ask for a name and local phone number to try to weed out some of the spambot responses. If someone doesn't leave a name and number that I recognize as a local phone number, I don't respond.
I may miss someone who is serious about maybe purchasing something I'm selling, but if they can't follow a simple request, I'm not going to let them waste my time.

LOL craigslist flakes. I have had a few things for sale on CL. just cleaning out closets and garage. typically about 50% of responses, is a flake. My ad says no trades. ,people contact me to ask to trade. some people have wanted me to drive to Bend or Portland, from Eugene,to show them my item that i am selling for $ 40.00. Then there is the low ballers, .10 cents on the dollar. Many times people say, " I will be right over ,whats your address? " then I wait around, but they never show up or call to let me know they are not coming over.. I might have to try LETGO some time.

Like everything else in the last 25-30 years selling things online has gone downhill. I used to have great success selling X86, 286 & 386 computers first on BBS.s(remember them)and then PDX.forsale. Must of sold maybe 3-400 of them over the years. Usually would take less than a day for a sale, sometimes in 15-30 mins. None of the crap nowadays and people from Intel and other Silicon Forest manufacturers were buy them from me. Used to get some pretty good insider info from them. A few years later(2000-2006) I was selling vintage stereo equipment on Ebay, both mine and other peoples. Also my own fishing gear and outboard and marine gear along with a friends stash of model A, Mustang and early Corvette parts. Had a few flakes but nothing like the horror stories of today on Craigslist and Ebay today. I would hate to be selling today like I used to. The only thing I have bought off Craigslist in the last 10 years is the 3 cars I presently own and the last one was purchased over 4 years ago outside of a couple of Free items. I look at it maybe once or twice a week now, the prices are so high that I prefer to buy new. Example a 500 gig 7 year old HD some guy wanted $35.00 for and I have to spend another $5-10.00 in transportation to get there and back or at the same time a brand new 1 GB HD shipped to my door for $47.00. I email him with this info and offer him $15.00 for it. He tells me to go pound sand. Last time I looked he still had it for sale, and I ordered the 1 GB one and it is now residing in my computer. Today I just bought a reloading press from a member here and it was a great transaction. Too bad members here don't list more non firearm items in the Non-Firearm Item Classifieds here. Sorry if you think my post is too long.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top