JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Maybe you guys already knew this, but my State Rep, Denyc Boles (R) District 19, was sympathetic to my letter and sent me this handy link where I can follow what's going on blow by blow.

Oregon Legislative Information System

Use the the search word "firearms" after clicking on the "bills" section in the upper right. Under "Measure History" you can see when the public hearings and work session will be held, and you can sign on to follow these individual bills throught the E-subscribe at the bottom of the website page.

E-subscribe does not require you create an account or use a password.

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG

Yes, that is a very good site.
This latest round of 'assault legislation' from our anointed has got me going. Here is a very good site to look at the underpinnings of these traitors. Campaign finance website.
It doesn't take long to find out where the strings are being pulled from. Clients — C&E Systems
Hopefully they don't try sneak stuff through like Nevada:

I've heard it is a multi state effort. A lot seems to be coming from stand ups in Broward County Fla. . It's scary on just how large and organized they are. When all the legislative pieces are put together; it becomes clear we are being encircled. What kind of legacy do we want to leave for our children?

I've heard it is a multi state effort. A lot seems to be coming from stand ups in Broward County Fla. . It's scary on just how large and organized they are. When all the legislative pieces are put together; it becomes clear we are being encircled. What kind of legacy do we want to leave for our children?
It's a National effort! You are right about it being large and organized and I would add well funded to that description. Their most valuable tool imho, is the positive and plentiful media coverage they get. They are united and work together where we are fractured and disagree amongst ourselves.

I have seen comments that the NRA isn't helpful to Oregon. Why? What do we expect them to do to help? Do they employ lobbyists in Oregon? Do they help with research for correct information to send to legislators? What do they do to help? Or do they? Did they let us down before?

I have seen comments that the NRA isn't helpful to Oregon. Why? What do we expect them to do to help? Do they employ lobbyists in Oregon? Do they help with research for correct information to send to legislators? What do they do to help? Or do they? Did they let us down before?
Even if they are not very active here they still have a role on the national stage. I don't think they should be spending big money on salaries but enough to get the talent to do the job.

Something that a friend used to do when he heard someone expressing angst toward firearms. He is an NRA certified instructor.

Offer to teach people to shoot. Get them past the fear of the unknown. "Hey, I know we respectfully disagree on gun issues, but I think you might enjoy at least learning about them. My gun, my ammunition, I will even buy you lunch".

Show them a really good time. Make it easy for them to succeed. Take a very easy thing, like a .22 to start. Make sure they understand the safety rules, make sure they "see" you teaching them safety. That just broke one bad stereotype.

Then teach them to shoot with the .22 and make sure they have a win.
Have a 9mm available if they want to step up after they can hit what they aim at with the .22. The important thing is that they get a win right away. You won't get that if you hand them a 44 mag on the first shot. Make it easy and fun. They walk out having learned something and liking it. And they no longer have that irrational fear that makes them vote irrationally.

A good site to keep watch on and then next election were the poor ones are running try to get all gun owners to vote against them, and for the one who has the best chance to unseat them. This is the only thing they care about, losing. If we can get gun owners together to start kicking some to the curb the rest will suddenly back away from many of the anti rights idea's.

There are three concerns of anti-gun people that I feel are valid:
  1. Violent criminals getting weapons to use in future crimes
  2. Crazy people getting weapons
  3. People with inadequate training carrying weapons and using them even in a justifiable situation, because they can be as dangerous to others as the criminals they are combatting
The anti-gun people (say they) are most concerned with guns getting into the hands of crazies and criminals. And they (say they) are concerned about CC permit holders with no training hitting innocent bystanders.

If we were magically in a state/country where there was 100% agreement on the right of adults with clean backgrounds and training to have modern guns, and 100% agreement that a criminal or crazy history would disqualify, would that be a good starting place?

Most gun owners' concerns against universal background checks is really a lack of trust in people who blame their hobby for the crimes of their constituents. They have a concern that background checks become a database of gun owners for future confiscation.

What if that concern was addressed in the bills? Liberals could enact strong checks, and gun owners could feel less like a target and more like a citizen again.
How about every bill that concerns background checks includes this language:
No data collected in the process of background checks shall be preserved after 90 days. The <background_checkers> shall destroy any material containing names, addresses and serial numbers of the weapons.

Any other gun bill should contain this language:
Nothing in this legislation shall ever be construed or implemented in a way that infringes on the right of Oregon residents with no criminal history from owning, possessing and using modern firearms.

And any concealed carry permit needs not just the class teaching Oregon law, but a demonstrated proficiency in a gun's use. The state could have a list of gun trainers whose certificate is valid for a "shall issue" permit.

This is my attempt to find common ground between people with legitimate concerns on both sides of the matter. Can I see some thoughts, suggestions, or ideas about getting gun-friendly legislators to discuss these options with the other legislators?

Got another reply.
Hello Jay,

Thanks for reaching out. I support gun safety legislation, but it is always important to hear from people who believe they will be impacted. Thanks for showing the courage to make your voice heard.

Senator Shemia Fagan
Pronouns: She/Her
Chair, Senate Housing Committee
Oregon Senate District 24
(East Portland/Clackamas/Happy Valley/Milwaukie)
503-986-1724 (Capitol Office)
971.294.3948 (mobile)
[email protected]

Here's my response -

Thank you for your response. We do have common ground. #1 Gun safety is a given. They are not toys and should be treated with respect. Safety classes, such as the NRA's Eddy Eagle https://eddieeagle.nra.org/ program is a good start for children. They need to understand what a firearm is. #2 SSRI over-prescription is the leading cause of abhorrent behavior in this State. Natural solutions, such as exercise and time spend outdoors can and should be prescribed instead of psychopharmacology. #3 Peter Courtney is a tyrant and wields his influence through the disbursement of PAC $$ and brow beating fellow legislators.

Thanks again for your reply and please look to the Constitution for guidance, not out of State sponsors of assault legislation.

jay

Looks like most of them are in judiciary...

Hoping that with so much having gone there that they will be prioritized from most likely to be rejected by the courts and least likely and a lot of them will die there for being blatantly unconstitutional and against DC vs Heller.

I'm not sure how so many judges could see these and not see how case law does not support them and just put blinders on but...

They do say justice is blind.

Got another reply.
Hello Jay,

Thanks for reaching out. I support gun safety legislation, but it is always important to hear from people who believe they will be impacted. Thanks for showing the courage to make your voice heard.

Senator Shemia Fagan
Pronouns: She/Her
Chair, Senate Housing Committee
Oregon Senate District 24
(East Portland/Clackamas/Happy Valley/Milwaukie)
503-986-1724 (Capitol Office)
971.294.3948 (mobile)
[email protected]
jay
I received exactly the same canned response from her.

Now, about that signature ...

Pronouns: She/Her o_O

Last Edited:
We need to let the legislature know we are watching their sneakiest ways to implement gun control like this one:

Effort Underway To Lower Voting Age In Oregon To 16

"The state senator pointed to the young activists who became engaged after the Parkland shooting in Florida, which left 17 people dead. They proved young people are active and should have a right to vote, Fagan said."

"Students spoke of a desire to curb gun violence and to protect the environment."

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top