JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
These look really nice, and priced right too. A little lighter canvas than traditional.... But could always throw over an extra canvas tarp at a base camp type spot.....

Was looking at these guys last night. Looks real deal for winter camping. I really like the EXP Crew and Basecamp models. Their pack weight is very intriguing. Even the larger 3 person Outfitter can be paired with a g-stove and still be under 50lbs of total weight.
Snowtrekker Tents - Manufacturer of Lightweight Canvas Tents and Accessories

These look really nice, and priced right too. A little lighter canvas than traditional.... But could always throw over an extra canvas tarp at a base camp type spot.....
Exactly...or crank up the stove a bit. I sent them an email to see if they're good for 4-season camping, but guessing they are if the canvas is only 7oz. Will report back.

That g stove looks pretty nice albeit small for any tent or teepee with any size. Right now I have a non airtight stove with a 14x16x27" firebox and it will not go more than about 4-5 hrs when stoked full of wood and dampered down I am going to fab a airtight stove for my tent out of a cast off 40 gallon air compressor tank and incorporate some of the features of some factory built stoves I have seen. A big firebox and airtight are what is required as it allows it to be dampered way down so as not to drive you out yet hold enough wood to go all night with a med/low burn to keep the chill off in single digit temps.

Exactly...or crank up the stove a bit. I sent them an email to see if they're good for 4-season camping, but guessing they are if the canvas is only 7oz. Will report back.
The owner of Snowtrekker replied to my email:
Actually they do quite well. They are cooler than a lot of nylon tents because of the off white color. Also the fabric is breathable. We have mosquito netted door and window options that provide excellent ventilation. We use our tents year round.

View attachment 534725
I've always been a big fan of Kifaru gear. Their range of tents and stoves, while not cheap, are first rate kit.

Probably not too great for snow load.
Found this though...maybe a better option for you. Can accommodate your new Gstove!
Megahorn Teepee with Wood Stove Jack (4P) Outer Tent

Definitely now considering options like these...weight and bulk are right, no frame required if needed. Would make great portable hot tents.

Many wall tents like mine are designed with pass throughs at the eves and ridge so you can cut poles on site and save the weight of the frame if desired.

I have an MSR twin brother that I had a Titanium Goat stove jack panel sewn into. Works great. I used to use a Kni-co Packer Stove in it. I switch over to an SXL titanium break down stove from Seekoutside a couple years ago. Great setup. I really like the Seekoutside Ti stoves. Especially the SXL as it is a good sized fire box, but breaks down ultra small and light weight.
I also started this thread several years ago to discuss the topic:
floorless tents and wood stoves, rafters need to get on board - Mountain Buzz

Some pics and vids of the tent with the larger non-breakdown kni-co packer stove and then with the newer Seekoutside SXL titanium stove:
IB662DElfm8jqNbqhVjDHGPYpLzUJHJuwRMC17cw17mqAyme3VEvMFB9apsRbX9RFWhhbydsjNc5s1AKCqE=w800-h600-no.jpg

yDhRs9q_pC-1dAdt-f80fBA0AZuPXN-re2geQm4k4IO-ZCKDmOvULqmW9owje8ELg49NipUeKEyw0DaTl78=w600-h800-no.jpg

hezeCDcwBtnWk2jMQXaog9g_5XUl7hMMORQRU6NR51CASTusUPc4j-BKAlZ8E-DfGTtHiTONufb0_-GVg=w1072-h1428-no.jpg

86mWW1VrjFt-eV8wZHtYW7L0WEJz9_v31gsEOAmBeHuPkjZEFAFoM2ffI4PVilTTinvkB9UZ6nUqiyssc=w1072-h1428-no.jpg

sHaDx5zOq2uZSq2lo2y2gq83Fi1K2erRQdubul4xIT9rmHtmsU-M-1REOpH2jHl7Nzx3oOHz62v5Lr2yH=w1904-h1428-no.jpg

vsSIk07w0bHykfF4uKUCjIbS20ncrJFJlKVUunmE7N81gcSRS2bSXTAYwY8s_zI5IsKZfmwHgCPfbvw_U=w1904-h1428-no.jpg

6rfREBPWW1pwC3i0ij3Y2rU4gE14m0plR6NZQ_Gf6oObz7lalApHB2564MMBLEUuo5YF8UdRqZTCZXIvj=w1904-h1428-no.jpg

SER003NV829ITbqnLKpSNnNwCdv82CwrTwXeCDO_hZbOx7eKYXc0nhHHHc-ATYKZm3MFSvqHUwQ8Xepa3=w1904-h1428-no.jpg

KsAgBgD84UbOXMYOB9JBddAw8d9g84S-SgO5WeF2kXAm9L5DvuWP6SVcEuRLkfVHOUX-QkbosV8gzeyFt=w1072-h1428-no.jpg

Yeah I know the sun is out, but its the desert in February!
p7c632_xhDtGxMzxlsgFJg5XWFPWRF98WT-PSvUpA2FEui9d4k2Wd_VID6eieOSL3rDYXzML4LiWRJJv-=w1904-h1428-no.jpg

-LSrNnF1K5UvC--Z4_Rpk9vLi37ZL1ePcWkknKKk4hjM8v3n5UAAcrbhFdFVEJMN8fcRdKQa3ZLeuPyyi=w1904-h1428-no.jpg

FZrhJ9SibmZ_FFPz-s0zbviL4GAwDBxplQGUDiqR8IKLpj_7ogqYZ4WAsdNoXlru0kZJm1uoM1Wt6gPdF=w1904-h1428-no.jpg

These steroid match/fire starters work great!
jHT3BLDGAJvrlVUNWPvdsOtJPTWoBsRLI_bASCPhc4Mu2mCXlz_ZlGmela4pmefs73SSEs2ajz_b9wYUu=w1904-h1428-no.jpg

s8tN-MbWEj6Lkj0u5aHMNE49yfno76kHf3y-OKNuEDQEqb6RDjlgbFZ_pHvhP_4Q3emKda0DKRR2ojyum=w1904-h1428-no.jpg

ALMEqvGJEDm9QO0B4d5RZLmiXgQchQKajGDS0CcGzju354Y8pNF5yBzsnm1jN4eG7icuwPAdh-92R8UKD=w1904-h1428-no.jpg

CTOwpqnKWt96Nw6q_7Ali50Fc0Xq-aclCgwE3efHdbHfMMyGdruwxrtINYX6WKPXa7l5bl3_TrUYXwvZ8=w1904-h1428-no.jpg

9leAyoDnCs-TiYTc4ZYXOkfWo4cgFQwgK_wVSfn4PTh_Jn2O5h2fdAHk_MJkGRietbgpQcAAN8Ygs_US7=w1904-h1428-no.jpg

I have an MSR twin brother that I had a Titanium Goat stove jack panel sewn into. Works great. I used to use a Kni-co Packer Stove in it. I switch over to an SXL titanium break down stove from Seekoutside a couple years ago. Great setup. I really like the Seekoutside Ti stoves. Especially the SXL as it is a good sized fire box, but breaks down ultra small and light weight.
I also started this thread several years ago to discuss the topic:
floorless tents and wood stoves, rafters need to get on board - Mountain Buzz

Some pics and vids of the tent with the larger non-breakdown kni-co packer stove and then with the newer Seekoutside SXL titanium stove:
View attachment 536347

View attachment 536348

View attachment 536349

View attachment 536350

View attachment 536351

View attachment 536352

View attachment 536353

View attachment 536354

View attachment 536355

Yeah I know the sun is out, but its the desert in February!
View attachment 536356

View attachment 536357

View attachment 536358

These steroid match/fire starters work great!
View attachment 536359

View attachment 536360

View attachment 536361

View attachment 536362

View attachment 536363

Great pictures, beautiful scenery, but I just don't get the dirt-floor thing.
Is it a weight-savings for backpacking?
Regardless, looks like many fine times were had...Well done!

Great pictures, beautiful scenery, but I just don't get the dirt-floor thing.
Is it a weight-savings for backpacking?
Regardless, looks like many fine times were had...Well done!
Pretty simple, if you are using a wood stove its the easiest way to go so you don't have to worry about catching the floor on fire, also you can keep your shoes on inside, which is pretty nice, especially in the winter and when using cots as well. I don't backpack much anymore. Pretty much all boat-in trips.

I just don't get the dirt-floor thing.
decades ago I went elk camping over by Granite with "Old Art" the last of my buddy's father's post WW2 hunting group.
He invited us to meet him at 'the old camp site'; we were delayed & it was just at dusk (& very cold at that) when we hit the campsite. Old Art had erected his antique wall tent, had a decent wood stove & lotsa split firewood. Had the fire going & even had sourdough ready in the top of a flour can, a trick I had never seen before. No floor but he used a couple straw bales for the bed sites & about the tent area, with none around the stove by several feet.
His tent gear was well used over the preceding 30+ years. I recognized the tent maker but don't recall the name now. It was waterproof enough.
His cook gear was simple, cast iron skillet & dutch oven, old coffee percalator for stove top heating; well used Stanley & Coleman accessories, and a rich variety of tall tales of lost loves & the elk that got away.
This was an old repeatedly used campsite, they left the ridgepole up year round, and had a wood toilet seat cobbled up over a very serviceable space 'outback' far enough. There was even an old tree trunk running across the back of the tent, acting as a footboard, giving a sort of 'upstairs' with extra straw to throw our sleeping bags over.
I was the only one to take an elk that year. It gave me great pleasure to see that Old Art got his extra share of the liver & other parts he favored. It took most of the day to bring the elk to camp; I had never cleaned one before so I had the chore of cleaning everything above the diaphragm. There was an amazing amount of membranes he wanted separated out.

We even had a carcass jumper that tried to steal our elk. Old Art had showed us his secret 'hidden dime' trick and the thief took the hint that leaving was the best choice.

We broke camp in a few days. I have a favored photo around somewhere, of Old Art in his red long johns & suspenders, in the snow, shaving with his hatchet. He filled out our tags with amazing tales from the days long before we were born.
He showed 'easy' ways to make handling a large elk carcass less tribulation. He knew his was a mission of transmitting what the years had taught him: good gear, well maintained, good friends, and shave before you head back to civilization.
Art didn't make it to elk camp the next year.

Last Edited:
Many wall tents like mine are designed with pass throughs at the eves and ridge so you can cut poles on site and save the weight of the frame if desired.
We always cut a pole on-site for our ridge pole. We fasten it between two trees. The only other things we need are the ropes and tent stakes.

Change subject - Does Bi-Mart still have those closed-cell foam sleeping pads that are about 4" thick and a bit bigger than a sleeping bag? Closed cell won't absorb water and the foam keeps one off the ground and therefore very warm.

decades ago I went elk camping over by Granite with "Old Art" the last of my buddy's father's post WW2 hunting group.
He invited us to meet him at 'the old camp site'; we were delayed & it was just at dusk (& very cold at that) when we hit the campsite. Old Art had erected his antique wall tent, had a decent wood stove & lotsa split firewood. Had the fire going & even had sourdough ready in the top of a flour can, a trick I had never seen before. No floor but he used a couple straw bales for the bed sites & about the tent area, with none around the stove by several feet.
His tent gear was well used over the preceding 30+ years. I recognized the tent maker but don't recall the name now. It was waterproof enough.
His cook gear was simple, cast iron skillet & dutch oven, old coffee percalator for stove top heating; well used Stanley & Coleman accessories, and a rich variety of tall tales of lost loves & the elk that got away.
This was an old repeatedly used campsite, they left the ridgepole up year round, and had a wood toilet seat cobbled up over a very serviceable space 'outback' far enough. There was even an old tree trunk running across the back of the tent, acting as a footboard, giving a sort of 'upstairs' with extra straw to throw our sleeping bags over.
I was the only one to take an elk that year. It gave me great pleasure to see that Old Art got his extra share of the liver & other parts he favored. It took most of the day to bring the elk to camp; I had never cleaned one before so I had the chore of cleaning everything above the diaphragm. There was an amazing amount of membranes he wanted separated out.

We even had a carcass jumper that tried to steal our elk. Old Art had showed us his secret 'hidden dime' trick and the thief took the hint that leaving was the best choice.

We broke camp in a few days. I have a favored photo around somewhere, of Old Art in his red long johns & suspenders, in the snow, shaving with his hatchet. He filled out our tags with amazing tales from the days long before we were born.
He showed 'easy' ways to make handling a large elk carcass less tribulation. He knew his was a mission of transmitting what the years had taught him: good gear, well maintained, good friends, and shave before you head back to civilization.
Art didn't make it to elk camp the next year.
nice story.

Not only do the pass through holes at eve and ridge allow for onsite poles to be used in lieu of a metal frame, they also allow for easy frame extension for a tarp storage area or whatever. During ML season it was warm out so we put the cooking out front under the add on tarped portion. It worked great and gave us more room inside tent.

15D984CD-0EEB-4806-B7B6-6E4EDD0E976E.jpeg 29E98DC5-F863-44E5-801E-59F68BE66288.jpeg

Western general black tail hunting last week (successful) where you have to use a shotgun or a bow. Drying out at lunch time before the evening hunt. Bonus points if you can guess the make and model of grandads shotgun shown in the video that I was able to take a buck with this year at 12 yards with a Brenneke KO 1 oz 12 gauge slug.

I have an Ellis Cavalry bedroll, I have woke up in it with over a foot of snow on me, it is truly a badass unit. Just thinking about it makes me want to sell/trade a few ARs for a couple mounts and break out my saddle bags, bed roll, wheel gun and belt rig and hit the wild for while.

1950d83d43b8958504586b1c1a0b6a8f.jpg

Canvas Cavalry Bedrolls | David Ellis Canvas Products | Camping hacks,  Camping accessories, Bushcraft camping

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top