JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have always grilled/barbecued on a Weber Natural gas grill. I had some brisket last year that my Neighbor did on his Traeger, I had never had anything cooked on a pellet grill and it was delicious.

Ever since then I have wanted to get a Pellet Grill/Smoker.

My mind automatically went to Traeger but after research and looking at them it seems the build quality is lacking.

I just want a small Pellet Grill to start out with. I have looked at the Traeger Tailgater and the Pit boss 340.

The pit boss is $100-150 cheaper than the Traeger and it seems way more heavier and better built. I also work where I can get a discount on the Pit Boss.

So anyone that has a pellet grill/smoker what would you recommend?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pit-Boss...te-Camp-Pellet-Grill-w-Folding-Legs/374371411

Tailgater Pellet Grill - Blue
Louisianan grilles! Pellet grilles that can smoke! American made too! Traeger are made in PRC! (China)

Just got a pellet grill myself. Well ordered it,
Havent got it yet. Did a ton of research and landed on camp chef woodwind sg with the sear box. From all comparisons I've seen to traeger, camp chef wins. The sear box seems to labeled a game changer by all who use it. I've never really done a lot of bbq'n myself but figure it's a good time to start. I had serious reservations about spending that much on a grill but my wife basically forced me to buy it. I look forward to trying it out though.
Fantastic grill and much better than Traeger. Love mine!

Fantastic grill and much better than Traeger. Love mine!

Good to hear. Mines scheduled to be delivered Thursday. I work Thursday-Sun night this week though so I wont be able to use it til next week. Cant wait! Have you used camp chefs competition pellets? I got a couple bags with my order. Figured might as well get em when getting the grill to save on shipping.

Screen Shot 05-14-19 at 07.27 PM.PNG
Not a PelletHead myself, but I've seen Bear Mountain recommended quite a bit and they are local.

So I have a weber for the obligatory gas grill and for my smoker/slow cooker I got a MAK. They're made in Dalles, OR. The taste/quality of the meat it prepares is nothing short of amazing, build quality is better than anything I have ever seen. Lot's of stainless, clean welds, great metal work. Kind of old school as far as the quality goes. I had a Traeger for many years, actually bought one of the new Traeger's a couple years back but it failed out of the chute on the first event I tried to use it on. Returned it, bought the MAK, never looked back. I absolutely love this thing.

Two-Star General Grill | Pellet Grill | MAK Grills | 503-623-1234

And yes, it's worth it. At least to me, I use it several times a week. It's the taste of the meat that matters, Once you get used to it without the "burnt" taste, you don't look back. There are those that dismissed the smoke quality of the Traegers as poor with a burnt taste that I used to chuckle at. Until I cooked with the MAK, now I see what they're taking about.

Thought I'd weigh in, too. First, I have a Ducane Meridian Gas Grill located on a covered deck outside my kitchen that I use all year, regardless of weather, at least several times a week. Its convenient, quick, and easy to clean-up. Last year I bought my son and son-law Green Mountain Daniel Boone Grills for house warming presents. We do Sunday dinner at my sons and he cooks on the Green Mountain. After nearly a year of eating the results of the pellet grill, I converted. I just set up my own Daniel Boone a few weeks ago. I will still use natural gas due to the speed and convenience, but for anything special or not subject to time constraints, it's the Green Mountain from here on out.

I have always grilled/barbecued on a Weber Natural gas grill. I had some brisket last year that my Neighbor did on his Traeger, I had never had anything cooked on a pellet grill and it was delicious.

My mind automatically went to Traeger but after research and looking at them it seems the build quality is lacking.

I just want a small Pellet Grill to start out with. I have looked at the Traeger Tailgater and the Pit boss 340.

The pit boss is $100-150 cheaper than the Traeger and it seems way more heavier and better built. I also work where I can get a discount on the Pit Boss.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pit-Boss...te-Camp-Pellet-Grill-w-Folding-Legs/374371411

That what Stomper said.
Green Mountain...far superior to the Trager in a number of areas. As a KCBS Certified National Judge:cool:, a 3rd place winner in the national competition finals:rolleyes:, and a world class rib eater:confused: you can trust me;) to know good BBQ and I have no financial stake in Green Mountain. My personal pellet mill is what Stomper recommends and I've had a number of them, a variety of makes and sizes. My Davy Crocket sits on a sturdy, home made (2 X 4s) stand with locking wheels when it isn't traveling somewhere with me (110V/12V). After three or four years of bi-weekly use my first one had a controller go bad. Green Mountain sent me a brand new grill.
Semper Fi

Last Edited:
I have been considering the Davy Crocket but it is on the small side compared the Pit Boss.

I also don't care for the Leg design in the Davy Crocket, I want something with wheels so I can wheel it around my patio.

It does seem to get better reviews than the Pit Boss and I like the stainless lid.
Get a Daniel Boone if you want a larger one. The Davy Crockett is perfect for two people (2 racks of ribs or a wh0le chicken split).

YouTube some comparison videos. Reason I picked it over traeger is ease of clean up, and the sear box. Camp chef has a sear box attachment you can get that bolts on the side of the grill. The sear box is ran off propane and gets 900 degrees. Great for searing steak when done grilling/smoking it.
I see
Well treager are lower level smokers anymore.
How do you grab a lid handle when it's 900 degrees.

I have owned/used a Camp Chef woodwind pellet grille with the side sear box for 2 years and really like the easy cleaning and versatility it offers. I have received excellent reviews from visiting guests for my steaks and roasts.
I usually cook the steaks or roast on the "high smoke" setting until it reaches about 120 degrees F per the meat probe, and then remove and let them rest while I fire up the searing box which is claimed to get up to 900 degrees. I then sear the steaks / roast for about 1.5 minutes on each side and then remove and let rest for 10-15 minutes and serve.

Here is a link to their website: Woodwind SG 24 Pellet Grill with Sear Box

I've also use it for other chores such as bacon smoking.

The Woodwind has computer controlled pellet feeder to control temperature very accurately. I also bought a insulation blanket made for it so I can bbq year round. Ash removal takes 20 seconds which is also nice. Once a year I take it apart and give it a good scrubbing.

Note: I have no relationship with Camp Chef.

upload_2019-5-15_14-49-35.png

I see
Well treager are lower level smokers anymore.
How do you grab a lid handle when it's 900 degrees.
No clue. Dont have mine yet. Should be delivered tomorrow but from what I've seen in videos most people sear with the lid open. Even if you did close it I seriously doubt the handle itself reaches that high of a temp or everyone would be burning themselves...most pellet grills have a max temp of 450-500, do the handles that open and close those reach the temp of the inside of the grill?...doubt it.

No clue. Dont have mine yet. Should be delivered tomorrow but from what I've seen in videos most people sear with the lid open. Even if you did close it I seriously doubt the handle itself reaches that high of a temp or everyone would be burning themselves...most pellet grills have a max temp of 450-500, do the handles that open and close those reach the temp of the inside of the grill?...doubt it.
No. But it's to hot to grab when my smokers at 650

The handle on the Woodwind sear box doesn't get hot. I sear with the lid closed and the heat setting on high. Usually after warming the sear box up for 10-15 minutes.

No. But it's to hot to grab when my smokers at 650
Well I dont know...watch some videos on it and research it. I never saw anything mentioned in everything I watched and read about the temp of the handle getting to hot so it was never a concern of mine when I ordered it. I'll be sure to report back with how hot it gets after I use a few times in the following weeks, but I'm sure I would have read something about it if it was a big issue. I think I watched every video on YouTube about campchef woodwind grills and read many many articles before my purchase.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top