JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Interesting, with the shotgun choices. That be some loud indoor DB. Of course any firearm indoors is
loud. I dumped my so called riot gun just due to the fact the noise would be disorienting for even me.

I have several levels of defense before it reaches me including but not limited as many have said. Dog,
and improvised applications. If needed the pic below.( yes the barrel is of legal length)
Or the P229
View attachment 590717

This sits on the corner of the headboard along with a claymore bag full of shells.

20190615_121717-01.jpeg

A gentleman I knew back in the early Pleistocene was big on his Viking heritage. He didn't really like guns and the only one he had was one of those cast pot metal cheapie revolvers with birdshot for dealing with rattlesnakes on his property. His next to the bed weapon was an axe. :eek:
I have a tomahawk in Cond. 1 (paper slicing sharp) but don't really don't consider it to be in the pantheon of First Responder Tools. Also, a 'hawk doesn't lend well to EDC. :D

The utility of a hatchet shouldn't be overlooked. Years ago when I lived in the city, I kept a Vaughn half hatchet handy. These days, I have all kinds of hatchets around. They may be laying there for splitting kindling or whatever, but their secondary utility as a weapon is always lurking just under the surface of normality.

Not long back, I set up a big round of Doug fir as a target for hatchet throwing. Just as amusement for my grandson. I got him three of those SOG thin, light target tomahawks. Once I explained the set-up, he got pretty good at it. The gag is, known distance is important in throwing because the instrument has to make X number of turns to be on target to hit edge first. That junk on TV (Davey Crockett, etc) where a guy snap-throws a tomahawk and sticks it perfectly edge first into a human at 20 yards is bunkum. Luck would be a huge factor. As a weapon, the hatchet/tomahawk is an up-close, hacking device. Besides, once thrown, a fighter loses his weapon!

Tomahawk throwing was an activity at the old trapper rendezvous, etc., but that was for sport and showing off your skills.

View attachment 590638 See my avatar? Was the best burglar deterrent. Now that he's gone the bad guys will be forced to deal with these

Ones like that may not be a threat to the bad guys but damn do they make a dandy alarm system. This one seems to have super K9 hearing. She is sleeping upstairs when I get home, room is on the other side of the house from where I park, AC running in the room. I have made a game of trying to sneak in without her knowing. Couple times I manages to get the door open but normally she is already there by the time I get the damn door open. If it's not me she makes sure the whole house knows someone is here. :)

Pebbles.jpg

This sits on the corner of the headboard along with a claymore bag full of shells.

View attachment 590738

Good idea. I have similar muffs too (Howard Leight), and it would be better for several reasons:

1) I am half deaf and they help me hear a LOT of sounds I wouldn't otherwise hear - like someone creeping up on me - or me making noise. Also, they help with determining the direction of noise, something that I have increasing problems with.

2) The hearing protection.

On the down side, they are not very fast in their response time. I usually have them turned off or almost all the way down. I have read that Peltor are much better in that regard. I almost bought the FAST helmet and Peltor Comtac system that was for sale here recently but just couldn't bring myself to do it.

Pretty sure that if I legitimately thought I was going to need to use a gun to defend the lives of my family, earpro is about the last thing I'm going to be dicking with.

I could live with a lifetime of tinnitus, but I couldn't live knowing I could've responded a second or two faster.

Good idea. I have similar muffs too (Howard Leight), and it would be better for several reasons:

1) I am half deaf and they help me hear a LOT of sounds I wouldn't otherwise hear - like someone creeping up on me - or me making noise. Also, they help with determining the direction of noise, something that I have increasing problems with.

2) The hearing protection.

On the down side, they are not very fast in their response time. I usually have them turned off or almost all the way down. I have read that Peltor are much better in that regard. I almost bought the FAST helmet and Peltor Comtac system that was for sale here recently but just couldn't bring myself to do it.

I had wanted to buy a set of those for years and kept putting it off. When that story hit of the old guy who could not hear well shot that creep who went after his granddaughter, then was shot by Police. They suspect he could not hear the Cops telling him to put his gun down. I ordered a set of the Howard Leight. They are nice. When I went to get another set so Wife and I could both have one at the range Amazon had those Impact on sale. Price was good enough to try. They seem to work just the same. Set of these is a good idea.

I've always had hearing problems - since I was a kid. It isn't so much that I can't hear them - sometimes I can't - it is more that I can't understand what they are saying if they speak softly or indistinctly. Some people have voices I find hard to understand - one person at work speaks softly and quickly which makes it hard for me, but when she calls in on a conference call I can usually understand her fine.

Some people mumble. Some people put their hands in front of their mouth, making it hard to distinguish what they are saying (any more I point this out to them). I wear hearing aids much of the time when talking to people, especially at work in meetings, and I still have problems. They know this and still don't try to speak distinctly and slow down.

If some yells at me, it makes it even harder because it usually overloads my hearing - people misunderstand this aspect of people with hearing problems. I had an instructor in fire fighting school think I was delaying going forward because I was afraid, but I was just trying to understand what he was saying because he was yelling right in my ear. :mad:

It is especially hard when there is a lot of background noise, especially a lot of people talking. I find it very inconsiderate of people when we are discussing important things at work and some many people talking at the same time I have to tell someone to wait until others shut up so I can understand them. Worst is when they get impatient because they could not make themselves understood when they know I have a hearing disability. :mad:

Add onto this my Aspergers and by the end of the day I just don't want to deal with people anymore.

Pretty sure that if I legitimately thought I was going to need to use a gun to defend the lives of my family, earpro is about the last thing I'm going to be dicking with.

I could live with a lifetime of tinnitus, but I couldn't live knowing I could've responded a second or two faster.

To each his or her own. For me it's not a significant impediment.

Dogs - Just me but I would be concerned about having a dog that could actually maim a person. I can decide to shoot or not, but if the dog screws up I could be in deep guano. I really don't want to be responsible for my Presa Canario eating a toddler. :eek: Not really into rat dogs, but a little dog is as good an alarm as a big one. A chihuahua can bark loud enough to wake me up and is physically incapable of eating a toddler before help arrives. )
MY OEBs will defend their pack with their life, but are rather mellow unless someone crosses into their territory without authorization. I trust them as much as myself to recognize a threat. I have had a dog bite and hold someone breaking into our yard as a teen. (The young miscreant was armed with hand weapons and was no match.) I suggest having a well trained dog you can trust, and who respects you as the alpha. My bullies would not harm a small child. However, anyone tries to hurt my daughters... they will show why they are the toughest dogs I have ever seen. Long story short, my male recently went into guard mode when a family member was feeling threatened even though I could see no outward signs. He was however, absolutely correct.

I investigate noises at night with a gun of some flavor and a double edged axe I am more than decent at throwing. I suspect a dobad would be more terrified by the short hairy fat man with a big axe and a gun in his underwear. Bladed weapons impart a visceral terror, and I could easily throw it well at distances in my home.

I have dealt with home intruders in my youth. cowards when they see a gun.

Last Edited:
Throwing a 'hawk
Absolutely right about known distance and sticking the edge, but it doesn't have to stick to put the recipient on the trailer.
Back in the early Bronze Age we had as friends a couple who were into the rendezvous thing, and would throw 'hawks for who did the dishes. One throw didn't stick, but hit hard and spun in the air before falling to the ground. It would have dropped whoever it hit. If it sticks, so much the better, but if it smacks the intended recipient in the head region it's gonna hurt. Ref. Liver-eatin' Johnson and the black mountain man who told him to pound sand at the rendezvous (Crow Killer: the Saga of Liver-Eating Johnson by Raymond W. Thorp, Robert Bunker, et.al.). Liver Eatin" Johnson split his head open with a thrown stone-headed 'hawk at extemporaneous distance and it was DRT. IIRC, it didn't say if the edge stuck, but that wouldn't matter except in a game.

Wombat of Doom, how do you carry a piece in your undies? Why?
If it works I might try it. ;)

Yup.

Auditory exclusion will most likely occur, and reducing the probability of hearing any potential responder is of not of particular benefit.

If I have to answer a threat in my AO, hopefully I will be wearing pants.

o_O

Yup.

Auditory exclusion will most likely occur, and reducing the probability of hearing any potential responder is of not of particular benefit.

o_O

Let's just say your situation is different from mine. :)

1959 S&W Model-10 .38 SPL.

These two inch M&P's were popular with some plainclothes officers in the days before they started carrying 9mm's, etc. They liked the extra shot over the Chief's Special. But the Colt Detective Special had a six shot cylinder and was about the same size as the Chief's Special. Maybe some officers liked the larger grip of the two inch M&P.

Throwing a 'hawk
Absolutely right about known distance and sticking the edge, but it doesn't have to stick to put the recipient on the trailer.

This is true. But a thrown rock will do the same job as an unstuck tomahawk.

It isn't so much that I can't hear them - sometimes I can't - it is more that I can't understand what they are saying if they speak softly or indistinctly.

I have bad hearing, courtesy of the US Army. The VA gave me service connected hearing aids some time back. They help but not under all conditions. What The Heretic said above about different voices, (timbre, cadence, etc.) is true. Some people are just difficult to understand for whatever reason regardless of my hearing issues and electronic enhancement. Young people who speak rapidly are a trial. It seems like they are afraid they won't get enough time allotted to say something so they speed up.

Getting back on point (a bit), my hearing is already bad, as I said. No aids in at night. In a life-threatening situation, I probably wouldn't even think about hearing protection, I'd be more focused on the danger at hand. That is, after I was truly fully awake and I'd found my glasses. Which are a must.

A buzzer rigged up to the motion detectors is handy.

The electronic hearing protectors, it's amazing but they do enhance your hearing if you have a deficiency. Hey, cheap hearing aids, you'd just have to wear them around all the time, people would look at you funny but you'd be ready for those home intrusions.

o_O

If I'm not wearing pants and someone breaks into my place, I'll just brandish my pump-action short-gun.

They might run away or they might drop to the floor and turn blue in a fit of uncontrolled laughter.

Either way, I win. :D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads