Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Lesson Re-Learned - Numb Fingers!

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by skydiver, Jan 23, 2013.

1. skydiver

skydiver Sandy,OR Well-Known Member

This numb-skull had to re-learn a lesson about the importance of keeping my hands warm.

The other day my son and I were working outside. I normally wear warm gloves, but somehow didn't think I needed them that day - (it was just above freezing outside)

After 30 minutes or so my hands started to tingle. I thought about getting the gloves, but I was in the flow and didn't want to stop.

Sometime later, my fingers started to burn and I no longer had any useful manual dexterity. At that point I went back inside and warmed up.

I thought to myself...What if I had been in a wilderness or survival situation? There was no way I could have started a fire easily with these numb hands.

Stupid me. Lesson re-learned.

2. lowly monk

lowly monk Beaverton, Oregon. Just a guy. Bronze Supporter

I have to keep constant watch on mine. Poor circulation. bony.

3. skydiver

What scared me was:
    1. How fast it happened doing minor chores outside and not even getting them wet.
    2. How useless my hands were after it occurred.

4. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

If you have ever had frostbite in the past, you will be even more vulnerable to it in the future... for life.

5. skydiver

I've heard that before and I don't quite understand why, except there must be some permanent damage that occurs.

6. Father of four

Father of four Portland, Oregon Well-Known Member

Should have worn them gloves.

A great way to warm up fingers is to place them in your arm pits. Not sure what to do about cold armpits though...:p