JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thanks, I am not familiar with Buffalo Arms. Most of the time I go through MidwayUSA.
My dad is good friends with the owner and the business is up in Sandpoint, ID. I've shot with the owner in BPCR matches and he's a great guy.

I ordered 50 .257 cases from him today, then called my dad to ask about any old scopes he might have laying around and he said to cancel the order. He said he's got hundreds of cases for .257 Roberts and doesn't even own one. So I'll be going over to his place tomorrow to get some brass and bullets.

Buffalo Arms is owned by Dave Gullo, one of the best BPCR shooters in the world. His business caters to the black powder and BPCR shooters mostly, although some items he sells could be used for other shooting.

Buffalo Arms is owned by Dave Gullo, one of the best BPCR shooters in the world. His business caters to the black powder and BPCR shooters mostly, although some items he sells could be used for other shooting.
When I started reloading for .308 in the middle of the pandemic panic, I found brass and bullets on his website when it was gone everywhere else.

Dave is a great guy. I've shot with him at the Arizona State BPCR Championship.

Drove to town today and found two boxes of Hornady .257 Roberts +P 117 grain on the shelf. Bit spendy at $35 a box, but I still grabbed one.

A lot of 6.5 posts in here so I'll add the 6.5X57
I have a 1939 Mannlicher Schoenauer that was made in Austria but since mine was made in 39 it says "Made in Germay" Germany invaded Austria in 36 and made them put Germany on the "Made in" things.

1939 M-S.jpg

Double set trigger and when set, it doesnt take a lot to set it off..

1939 M-S 2.jpg

I found 10 boxes of Prvi Partizan 6.5X57 and bought quite a few hundred Hornady and Sierra bullets to reload

I've been doing a lot of reading on this vs that, these vs those, here vs there, regarding rifles and I always seem to see the same well known cartridges headline. The Cabela's common belted magnums, the -06s and family, the young bucks like the creedmoor.... Then I saw the 6.5-284 mentioned and had to look it up. Yes, I'm sure the experienced and lived know about this cartridge but I sure didn't. Heck, even the .260 Remington was new to me this week. And so I'm wondering, what are some darn worthy cartridges one may not hear a lot about but can still be bought in a factory rifle? Better yet, dies and brass available to load. The vanilla vs chocolate thing is getting old, I need some strawberry!
I shoot a 308 norma mag, (absolutely cool), a 338-06, (better than anyone thinks who hasn't shot one), and 280 ackley. Great arsenal, high cool factor, campfire fodder...
I really can't think of a better trio.
Get a Savage long action, barrel from shaw, rent headspace gauge Reamer Rentals, ,, you're in business. do it yourself, gets addicting

Indeed! And for every 10 whiz bang new cartridges the gun makers develop to entice another sale, there's an old cartridge that is proven and will do the same job just as well, or better! Wish I had a dollar for every new cartridge that's ever been developed, only to become obsolete later. The good ones have stood the test of time.
My husband says the same thing.

I believe that he is correct too.

Cate

I've been doing a lot of reading on this vs that, these vs those, here vs there, regarding rifles and I always seem to see the same well known cartridges headline. The Cabela's common belted magnums, the -06s and family, the young bucks like the creedmoor.... Then I saw the 6.5-284 mentioned and had to look it up. Yes, I'm sure the experienced and lived know about this cartridge but I sure didn't. Heck, even the .260 Remington was new to me this week. And so I'm wondering, what are some darn worthy cartridges one may not hear a lot about but can still be bought in a factory rifle? Better yet, dies and brass available to load. The vanilla vs chocolate thing is getting old, I need some strawberry!
I've been hunting with a .35 Whelen and a .270 for 40 years. When you pull the trigger on the .35 Whelen, there is meat on the ground

Dad brought a Mauser hunting rifle back from ww2. He never shot it, so after he passed I took an interest in it.
Cast the chamber...9x57. Obscure .

The 9mm uses a 0.356 bullet. Close to our American 35's (0.358). So I ended up hooked on 35's. 35 Rem, 356 Win, 358 Win, 35 Whelen and 350 Rem mag. Never made it up to the 358 Norma mag.

How about the 358 Norma Magnum - I think it compares very closely to my 375 H&H. Between the two I cant imagine needing anything bigger in North America.

As I own a 257 Roberts in old 722 Remington I know just how hard it can be to find bullets and brass in this caliber. I don't how much luck you had on line, but if you are interested, I could spare 50 new cases in R-P nickel and a box of 117 gr. bullets from my stash. I have enough stockpiled so that i will never be able to use it all before I die. The bullets that I have are in Remington, Hornady, and Sierra in 117 gr. and I also have a box of 120 gr. Speer spire point boat tail. The 120 gr. don't work well in the short action of the 722 as they have to be seated very deep in order to fit in the magazine. They should work fine in the longer action of the Model 70. You could have a box of 50 cases and a box of 100 bullets for $40 if interested. I live in Beaverton, Oregon. I would love for you to be able to get that old rifle back in service.
Could just resize 7X57 - one run through the sizing die works for me.

One of my favorites is the 257 Roberts. This is a great old caliber. A great deer rifle with light recoil. Very accurate and a great gun to start a new hunter out on. It can also be used very effectively on varmits with the lighter bullets.
Agreed, had in a 700 mountain rifle years ago, sweet shooter. The 250 SavAI is another 25 that runs with the 257 in a short action.

I didn't see .35 Remington mentioned in this hit parade. Once very popular, it is now well into the lesser known category. You can still buy ammo for it, reloading stuff had become harder to find. Marlin made .35 Rem. rifles up to close to their last days, now Henry has made some new ones. You can probably still buy .35 Rem. barrels for T/C Contenders. Not to mention the very many pump and auto loaders made by Remington in earlier times. Needless to say, there are many newer, more effective cartridges yet this one will be still be in use for some time.

Last Edited:
I didn't see .35 Remington mentioned in this hit parade. Once very popular, it is known well into the lesser known category. You can still buy ammo for it, reloading stuff had become harder to find. Marlin made .35 Rem. rifles up to close to their last days, now Henry has made some new ones. You can probably still buy .35 Rem. barrels for T/C Contenders. Not to mention the very many pump and auto loaders made by Remington in earlier times. Needless to say, there are many newer, more effective cartridges yet this one will be still be in use for some time.
Yup, Have both a Mod-8 Remington and a Marlin 336 in .35 Remington, damn nice cartridge, hits like a freight train, and is just about perfect for deep brush hunting!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top