JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
How about the 6mm-08 aka the .243, flat shooting high velocity round suitable for all but the largest game.
Or the venerable .30 government aka ,30-40 krag, mild recoil, accurate, deadly.

When I bought my first .35 Remington in the 1980's, ammo was still quite common. I sold the rifle in the early 1990's. It was a Remington Model 760, made in 1952. Then about 25 years later, I bought another 760 in .35 Rem. I looked at the serial number, it seemed familiar. I checked my old records, the two rifles were consecutive serial numbers.

I also had a Remington Model 760 in .30-06 and a similar Model 76 in .30-06. I kinda like pump rifles but they aren't very popular out West, mostly. At one time, you could buy them very cheaply out here. The Model 760 is just like an 870 shotgun.

It is largely ignored by American shooters, but the 9.2x62㎜ Mauser is not a bad rifle cartridge. True enough, though, it doesn't do anything that isn't covered well by other options circa 2022.

The venerable .30/40 Krag has faded with the years. And, again, true enough there are plenty of other fine .30-caliber options, but this is not a bad one. I still have found memories of light handling, smooth actioned, light-kicking sporterized Krag from long ago.

Speaking of venerable, the 7㎜ Mauser is a fine cartridge, but it now appears to be largely overshadowed by similar.

I don't know that I would call it "lesser known", but it certainly no where near as popular as decades past, but still is a pretty darn good little cartridge: the .30 Carbine. Again, overshadowed with more contemporary options, but as a plinker, home/small business defense tool, or a varmint dispatcher, it isn't bad.

If I've learned anything from this and the past times of "limited supplies" on the shelf.....

Yeah.....I stick to the "Popular Calibers" and I stock up. Which includes reloading supplies for that caliber (if you don't manage to secure a good quantity of the loaded ammo).

Right now.....8mm seems to be my "problem child".

Aloha, Mark

PS.....not to mention the potential for trading.

Last Edited:
The last two rifles I've bought, both within the last two years, 35 Remington and 257 Roberts. The 35 is a beautiful 600 Carbine that will likely not see much real use, but the 257 was sight checked last month for possible use on deer this year.

The last two rifles I've bought, both within the last two years, 35 Remington and 257 Roberts. The 35 is a beautiful 600 Carbine that will likely not see much real use, but the 257 was sight checked last month for possible use on deer this year.
GREAT combo!

Here's a lesser known cartridge introduced by Winchester in 1880. The .50-140 Winchester, also known as the .50-3 1/4" Winchester. It used a charge of 140 grs. of black powder, and a whopping huge 678 gr. paper patched bullet!
Here's mine next to a .45-70 for comparison:

YwSBIuGl.jpg

Here's a lesser known cartridge introduced by Winchester in 1880. The .50-140 Winchester, also known as the .50-3 1/4" Winchester. It used a charge of 140 grs. of black powder, and a whopping huge 678 gr. paper patched bullet!
Here's mine next to a .45-70 for comparison:

View attachment 1292747
I imagine reloading components are a bit scarce for that cartridge

I imagine reloading components are a bit scarce for that cartridge
Actually called C&H4D for a die set and the gal sent the set out the next day! I was shocked! But that was just the beginning!
My old reliable RCBS Rock Chucker press was too small to allow me to seat bullets without backing the seater die out each time I seated a bullet! So had to retire it, and buy a Rock Chucker Supreme with 1" longer throw.
Then I couldn't find a pilot or cutter for my Lyman case trimmer to work with this monster case either. So had to hand file to length each case. Looking for a new trimmer, and not finding much yet. Wonder how all the .50-70 Govt. chambered rifles trim cases? Same shell holder, and diameter cases.
So it's been a real snowball effect so far, and updating a lot of my 35-40 yr. old reloading tools!

The brass I assumed was scarce. If your a handloader getting into a rare case I just figure it is going to cost another four or five hundred. Been looking at the 9.3x74r and because it is it's own case brass is running 2-3$ a piece. Add another 60-70 for dies. It all adds up.

I'm surprised no one has introduced a sporting rifle for a prominent US military cartridge from between the two WW's. The Garand was designed as a 10-shot rifle using this cartridge.

It's a slightly slimmer cartridge much like the 7-08.

Bruce

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads