JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've had deer close enough to take them with a spear, without the atlatl.

If you are patient enough and know where they move and bed and feed, you can theoretically take them with a rock.

Not putting down his accomplishment, but there are a lot of deer out there and if you are still and quiet enough they will come in very close to you if you are in the right spot.

I have read that the Atlatl is also a potent weapon in a fight. That's 10,000 years ago folks, it's not 9mm, .45ACP or Atlatl!
It seems that the skin wearing set carried both long and shorter darts. In close quarters, be it Sabre Tooth Cat, Cave Bear or other humans the powerful thrust with the Atlatl was a game changer! You know, changed from live game to dead game.;)
Wish I could find that article.

I really hope that we don't see a bunch of Duffus Nimrods, learning to hit a hay bale at ten yards, going out and leaving a lot of wounded animals to die slowly!

That is awesone. I've wanted to do that ever since I learned about atlatls in grade school, but have been to lazy to invest the time to make one and learn how to throw it.

Ray

Do Bow Hunting regulations apply, or is there a separate season?

http://www.thudscave.com/petroglyphs/atlatlstatelaws.htm
Looks like most states won't let you take big game with one, but you could kill a lot of carp.
Oregon: The atlatl can not be used to harvest game fish in the State of Oregon. It is also not a legal weapon to harvest game animals. However, it could be used to hunt "predatory" animals in the State of Oregon such as coyote, rabbit, feral pig and exotic sheep.
Washington: Thank you for your email correspondence to the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) Fish Program. Evan Jacoby in our Enforcement Division has provided the following response for you:
The atlatl is not a legal hunting method in Washington State. It is also not a legal fishing method, except, possibly, for carp. It is lawful to take carp by spearing. Since there is no restrictive description of the spear, the atlatl dart could be construed to be a spear. This is, however, problematic, as I am unaware anyone has ever speared carp with an atlatl.
Evan Jacoby, Counsel
Fish and Wildlife Legal Services

Ray

Oregon: The atlatl can not be used to harvest game fish in the State of Oregon. It is also not a legal weapon to harvest game animals. However, it could be used to hunt "predatory" animals in the State of Oregon such as coyote, rabbit, feral pig and exotic sheep.

I love that Oregon classifies cute little bunny rabbits as predatory.
Bugs would approve.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads