Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

less lethal 12 gauge legal in WA?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by tonemonkey, Apr 22, 2013.

1. tonemonkey

tonemonkey Puyallup New Member

I bought a shotgun for home defense but would rather not kill anyone. Is it legal for me to use "less lethal" rounds like rubber bullets? What should I be aware of legally if I do use those?

2. 2506

2506 Seattle Well-Known Member

If you'd rather not kill anyone, having a firearm for home defense is not a reasonable or well-thought out choice.

Redcap, Stomper, slickx45 and 23 others like this.
  3. stmcelroy

stmcelroy Madras, OR Well-Known Member

Less than lethal rounds are for law enforcement, they have armed backup.

If you pull a gun on somebody you better be planning on killing them, IMHO.

4. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

I'm going to make this big and obvious, so maybe some people (like OP) will understand it.

solv3nt, Caveman Jim, 2506 and 15 others like this.
  5. tonemonkey

I'm prepared to kill if I feel like my family is in danger but would rather remove the threat without removing them permanently.

6. telemakos

telemakos Portland Member

As your future burglar, I sure do appreciate your sentiment. I do hope you won't be offended if I don't return the favor.

"Snark only, Ladies & Gentlemen"

solv3nt and (deleted member) like this.
  7. stmcelroy

stmcelroy Madras, OR Well-Known Member

I guess my feeling goes that anybody who has broken into my house knowing that myself and my family are home isn't there just to say hi.

If I'm pulling a gun and pointing it at somebody it will be because i'm prepared to kill them. If you want to use less than lethal get pepper spray or a taser.

8. tonemonkey

This is what I was wondering about. Lethal it is. Any suggestions for low recoil lethal rounds?

9. solv3nt

solv3nt Portland Well-Known Member

Hey now, the cops have resorted to practicing with airsoft. Don't knock it until you try it, errr.... I'll stick with my .45

1 person likes this.
  10. tonemonkey

It's a 12 gauge.

11. trekkerpaul

trekkerpaul Portland metro Active Member

WHAT HE SAID IS EXACTLY RIGHT.

Loose the gun if you aren't prepared to shoot and possibly kill someone in the defense of you and your loved ones. Prepare yourself to be a victim instead.

Slapping intruders around only makes them mad unless you are Chuck Norris, then it makes them dead.

12. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

If it's a single shot, double barrel, Win 1300 or KelTek KSG you could use the Aguila mini shells. They won't feed reliably in anything but what I listed though.

13. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

This indicates to me that you lack the experience and will to take out an invader. Better you get a large bear repellent pepper spray cannister. And you better pray they are not armed

Redcap and (deleted member) like this.
  14. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim West of Oly Springer Slayer 2016 Volunteer

Then you sir, need to shoot them in the leg...

1 person likes this.
  15. WashCoDad

WashCoDad Beanerton Active Member

If you feel threatened enough to shoot someone, you NEVER aim for a leg.
    You *** will be chewed up in court.

16. Trailboss

Trailboss Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Folks consider less lethal when they are thinking about themselves not wanting to kill someone. The same folks think about killing someone when they are watching their wife or daughter being raped. Get a 12 gauge with 00 buck and keep them safe.

17. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

I always kinda laugh when I see this,cause you shoot them in the femoral artery and they will bleed all over your rug and die right there.

Caveman Jim and (deleted member) like this.
  18. speeddemon94

speeddemon94 The Rogue Well-Known Member

With much haste.

mjbskwim and (deleted member) like this.
  19. Nick Burkhardt

Nick Burkhardt NE Oregon Well-Known Member

Discharging a firearm at someone is still considered "Using Deadly Force" no matter what it is loaded with. Rubber buckshot such as this Cabela's: Herter's® Defense 12-ga. Rubber Buckshot has its uses such as animal and crowd control or if there is a crazy person with a weapon on your property. Lightfield makes some rubber cooshballs that look like cat toys but are expensive at over $2 per round.

We keep some rubber buckshot on hand just in case

recoveredRB.jpg

It patterns much wider than lead.

How do you figure 10x more likely?

It worked for this Portland homeowner Man shot by homeowner has burglary convictions | kgw.com Portland but I would not recommend loading more than one less than lethal round. If the first shot does not take care of the problem, you are going to want at least #4 buckshot for the second.

I would not recommend any birdshot load smaller than BB for several reasons. First it makes a hell of a mess with a large shallow wound. Second it makes a hell of a mess with over 300 lead pellets to clean up in your living room. Third since you are responsible for every one of those 300+ pellets and birdshot patters wider, there is a chance that one of those could injure your neighbor or their pets which you would be responsible for.

recoveredRB.jpg

20. jauguston

jauguston Bellingham,WA Member

There are many people that have the same feeling as the OP. There is a option that I looked at and now carry AS well as my P938. I also gave one to my wife and one to our daughter who both believe when it came right down to it they don't think they could kill another person. That is a Kimber Pepper Blaster II. I bought 2 for each of them. The first one to shoot at a target simulating a persons head and so they would know what happens when they pull the trigger. Doing that took care of the fear of having something that would "Shoot" a bad guy. The second one is for real. They both feel more comfortable having one and that is a good thing. There are several UTube videos of one being used. They are nasty.

Jim