JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My opinion is get something with a locking mechanism that doesn't require sticking your finger right in the path of a sharp, closing blade. It's like having to put your finger on the muzzle of your pistol to empty the chamber
Liner locks don't bother me so much, except on really cheap knives.
That being said. My go to seems to be spydercos with the traditional lockback .
The quoted post is good advice for sure.
I would add that the autoLAWKs I have on a crkt is the worst safety addition I've ever seen. It forces you to disable an extra lock to close the blade? Silly.

I've been using this knife since they came out. I worked with quality tools my entire professional life. I used them and took care of them. This is kind of an extension of that. I dislike flat grips with sharp edges. This one fits the hand great. I've also had Benchmade auto openers, but I swear I can deploy this as fast or faster. I also dislike liner locks, as it takes two hands to operate. This can be retracted without changing your grip and just push the back of the blade against my body and it locks closed. I still have quite a stash of knifes for different uses, but this is the one I EDC.

I've got a couple KO Leeks (Leeks not leaks) but I usually find myself carrying my Chinesium Cryo. Its just a bit beefier and heavier, feels better in the hand. They have a Cryo II thats somewhat larger.
Cryo

Kershaw OSS (Oh So Sweet).

From an OR company (though imported from China)
Lightweight and keeps an edge.
Cheap enough and I won't cry if it's lost.
Fact is, I've given them away to the GF's relatives for pocket carry.

Aloha, Mark

Similar to the kershaw mentioned earlier this one is a spring loaded effortless and fast flip design. It goes on sale at big5 occasionally and with their 10% discount it ends up being around $25. Aus8 steel. Does the job. Pretty slim and smooth so it comes out of ur pocket easily fwiw. I think there are lots of different versions but can't recall.

77CA225E-6C8C-4818-9451-7AC8E3533A1F.jpeg 6FA77264-A9CC-4BE4-8659-540CD6A8D498.jpeg

CRKT Minimalist Bowie Neck Knife, 2.25" blade. It's a small blade, but the ergonomics are so crazy that I feel like I have 110% control of the knife. It just recently went up 60% in price on Amazon, from $25 to $40. Other than that, good old Swiss Army knives can never go wrong.

I've been shopping for a knife to carry and I'm in a current state of analysis paralysis. I've been carrying the Leatherman squirt for the past 8 years. Since I don't have many keys on my key chain these days I just attach it to that along with a small keychain Olight. The Squirt is a handy tool when you need it. The blade isn't long enough except to open boxes or other similar tasks so I'm in the market for a blade.

Leatherman Squirt

I've been shopping for a knife to carry and I'm in a current state of analysis paralysis. I've been carrying the Leatherman squirt for the past 8 years. Since I don't have many keys on my key chain these days I just attach it to that along with a small keychain Olight. The Squirt is a handy tool when you need it. The blade isn't long enough except to open boxes or other similar tasks so I'm in the market for a blade.

Leatherman Squirt
My suggestion would be to step up in size to something like the leatherman skeletool CX. Larger blade, 154cm steel, caribeener clips onto pants belt loop which means it's always handy but doesn't take up pocket space.
376CA1BB-5476-4D49-9948-2919B77CEDD7.jpeg

Definitely a + for Leatherman. The one above is a neat tool, I'm just not thrilled about the exposed blade. I have three different Leatherman multi tools I carry in in my backpack, BOB, and emergency bag in the car. There great tools for everyone who likes to be a Boy Scout, (be prepared). I consider them an accessory to a good EDC.

I always carry a Leatherman Wave on a steel cable lanyard, and these days a Cold Steel XL Counterpoint. The latter makes for a fine survival blade that can be lashed onto a spear for emergency fishing, etc and is a good self defense blade

41DW88o0bZL._AC_.jpg

It really all depends... currently these are what are in my pockets. FDCA8F42-9A36-48BB-8574-13DCDED124B1.jpeg
However, I have these in my bag. 57242935-0D1A-4F60-8905-D114781BBF2C.jpeg
If you want inexpensive edc knives you can get the Kershaw or some of the other ones. Just be mindful that most are made in China; the quality of the metal and assisted opening are not really good because they don't last long.

Been a few days,, but I'm thinking of getting something from Benchmade in the "Bugout" family.
Keeps the price below my max, and because it continues to be produced it can be replaced easy enough should it get broken or lost.

I have definitely shifted away from acquiring/using higher quality, more expensive knives. Though I have no problem using a higher end knife for its intended purpose, I much prefer carrying a Leatherman multi-tool. Of course I consider them to be high-end as far as multi-tools go, despite their 420HC blades typically leaving much to be desired (they are easy to sharpen at the very least!)

I currently carry either a Leatherman Skeletool or a Free T4; both are exceptionally handy and easily replaceable if they are ever lost or damaged.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top