JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So, any of you guys deciding to EDC a less expensive knife so if you lost/damaged, or broke it you wouldn't be heartbroken?
I've a couple of expensive Benchmades that I really like to carry, but they are ones that are discontinued, and over time the collectors will, (or have had,) the prices skyrocket on the 'bay.
I've shocked at what some of the knife prices are for some models that haven't been made for a few years,, and even some that were discontinued not that long ago are going up in value fast.
Might go back to something like a Buck/Gerber/Cold Steel/whatever, something that could be replaced without spending a small fortune.
Keep the collectables for, ya know, a "barbecue" knife.

I've been everyday carrying my Boy Scout Utility Pocket Knife , almost everyday since I first got it , many moons ago....:D

With that said...
I have and use many knives , some expensive , some not so expensive , a few are priceless , because of the memories tied to them.
Andy

I carry a kershaw for my EDC. It was about $25 and the reason I don't buy expensive knives is because I have a tendency to misplace them.

Screenshot_20210123-181050_Amazon Shopping.jpg

I used to go by that logic but then I realized I wasnt building sentimental memories with the blade I truly wanted to carry. If I lose my Benchmade, I'll buy another one.

I found this Swiss army knife in an auction. It's old but solid, single blade and no other fancy crap. It has a single bevel edge that will cut clear to the bone. It disappears in the pocket and is quite versatile. I used to carry a multi tool but I'm just not much of a gadget guy these days, simplicity is best. If I am out in the woods I will carry a different club as necessary. But day to day, this more than meets my needs. If I need pliers or other neato tools, my toolbox isn't far.
About 9 bucks on ebay. As always, YMMV.

swiss a k.jpg

I see nothing wrong with having collector pieces or pieces of high sentimental value. If something falls into those categories, by all means, protect it.

But not using something...that doesn't fall into those categories...because of the cost of it, is ridiculous to me. If you bought something to use, and then don't because it cost too much...well to that I say, "do you own your stuff or does your stuff own you?

This, from a guy who frequently EDC's a Strider SnG and a small Sebenza.

I found this Swiss army knife in an auction. It's old but solid, single blade and no other fancy crap. It has a single bevel edge that will cut clear to the bone. It disappears in the pocket and is quite versatile. I used to carry a multi tool but I'm just not much of a gadget guy these days, simplicity is best. If I am out in the woods I will carry a different club as necessary. But day to day, this more than meets my needs. If I need pliers or other neato tools, my toolbox isn't far.
About 9 bucks on ebay. As always, YMMV.

View attachment 812928

I have that exact same knife. I absolutely love it.

To the op, if you're the type to lose knives, then I would not carry it. I personally have only lost 1 knife in the 20 years I've been carrying them, so I'd happily carry an expensive or rare blade.

Since one is choosing a tool for the purpose of self protection, I would prioritize having something dependable, not prioritize cost.
It is kind of like having a pair of new premium footwear in the closet and walking around in shoes that hurt your feet.

Once I have deflowered the finish of the pocket clip, scratched the blade or handle scales , etc. , I feel fine carrying any knife.

If they don't always make it home with you ; 2 is 1 , 1 is none, and I carry at least 4 because carhartts have plenty of pockets

I have that exact same knife. I absolutely love it.

To the op, if you're the type to lose knives, then I would not carry it. I personally have only lost 1 knife in the 20 years I've been carrying them, so I'd happily carry an expensive or rare blade.
I learned that lesson long ago. Back in the day when I was stationed in Ft. Hood, I went for a ride on my motorcycle. It was Central Texas hot so I took off my brand new Levi's jacket, rolled it up and bungee corded it on the back of the bike. Inside the jacket was my then favorite knife that I got from the Rod and Gun club in Nuremberg, Germany. It was a black and green Puma lock blade. Had it for two years. Well somehow I did a lousy job of securing my jacket. It started getting dark and cooled down a bit so I stopped to put my jacket on but I saw that it was gone. Just a sad bungee cord where the jacket used to be. I had covered well over a hundred miles that day so I had no idea where or when I lost it. Some lucky basterd on a road kill crew probably scored a nice jacket and Puma lock blade. Truth being told though, if he was working road kill he probably needed a nice find so God bless him. Lol. But since then I consider the value of things before I buy them and whether they make a difference if I lose them or not. Basically though, all of our things are just kind of rented anyway since we can't take any of it with us when we go. But if that's the case, when we see ghosts why do we always see them with their clothes on? o_O

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top