JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking to move up a notch on the 1911 ladder, and have my choices narrowed down to two pistols, the Les Baer Ultimate Tactical Carry or the Colt Wiley Clapp.

I want a traditional, blued 1911, series 70, that will be a carry gun and will be passed down. Here's what I have come up with.

Things I really want -
Front slide serrations
Front strap checkering
Gloss blue
Clean, classic, classy roll marks
Series 70
5"
Novak style sights
Under $2000

Les Baer -
Pros -
Front slide serrations
Full gloss blue
Front strap checkering
Night sights

Cons -
$1700-1900
Ugly big "45 ACP" on slide
Not as well known as Colt
Thin bluing (I've heard)

Colt -
Pros -
Colt name
$1100-1300
No ugly roll mark

Cons -
Matte blue frame
No front slide serrations

Based off that, what should I get?

I have never handled a Baer, but I've heard good things. I've had two Colts, and I was happy with both, but not amazed, I've never handled a Wiley Clapp though. Like I said, I want a lifetime pistol I can carry for the next 40 years and then hand down to my son. $2000 is max price.

I use to hate Baer for similar reasons, ugly billboard 45ACP on the slide and stories of the bluing wearing quickly. I have multiple Colts, have had them for years. Recently purchased a Baer UTC and I put it in the same category as my Wilson Combat's, Nighthawk and Dan Wesson's. I will never bash Baer again, far superior to my Colts, it's not even close.

No intent to stomp all over your personal taste or preference, but if you want to both carry and pass down your 1911, I'd consider stainless. Good luck in choosing! :)

Thanks for the opinions. I checked out some new Colts today, and was very very disappointed. I looked at a new series 70, a used Gold Cup, and a "high end" Enhanced Combat something or other. The series 70 was horrible! Thumb safety felt like it was full of sand...the "high end" one was decent, but a TRP was much nicer. Bottom line, I won't be buying a Colt. Even though I didn't see a Wiley Clapp, if their $2300 pistol wasn't anything special, I bet the $1200 one won't be either. Also, all the roll marks looked like hell, almost like someone did it with a hand stamp set.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top