JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
Let's do our best to not get this locked?

I was talking to a friend who is a Washington Co. Sheriff Deputy. Asking him what he and his fellow deputies are talking about at work lately.

It was interesting to get his perspective, hear some of his frustrations/fears too. I was really interested in how they were feeling about the possibility of Trump sending the Army in and was surprised to hear they hadn't really started talking about that yet. His knee jerk reaction was not a good one, as he feels it's not the military's place to police American's on our soil.. and I agree.

Not here to debate your feelings, but curious what they are. I feel a majority of LEOs are great people, willing to take the ultimate sacrifice for his/her fellow man, and great people should be heard in times of strife.

And thanks, I appreciate you.

My good friend is portland police but hes been so exhausted the last few days with whats going on we havnt chatted.

Yes, it is best for the police to do the job, but if the state governor's or mayor's let their cities go to waste and thus, do not let the police do their job to serve and protect and order the contrary, then, this is a possible federal intervention to protect those who are not being protected. If governors or mayors are giving orders to the police to stand down and let riots harm people and businesses, then, the federal solution sounds reasonable.

The police cant do there job In potland .The public addresses I seen the last 48 hours are ridicules. Sounded like The police are expected to make a rioter or protester a cup of camomile tea and give him a foot rub if they attack the police

Let's try to not flip this to a debate on whether the police are doing their job!

I'm hoping we can get some 1st hand or 2nd hand thoughts from local LEOs

Let's try to not flip this to a debate on whether the police are doing their job!

I'm hoping we can get some 1st hand or 2nd hand thoughts from local LEOs

Ask your friend where the blue flu is?

I get that we all hate rioting and looting. But, you can't tell me that there isn't a single cop who thinks that yea, maybe there are too many bad apples with a badge and yea, maybe some of their tactics should change and yea, even now they know that they're roughing up, shooting, and gassing people who were just standing around.

Where are those cops?

A couple of quotes from a good book on ordinary cops that appear a bit foretelling by describing the past:

I fear that we live in a world in which war and racism are ubiquitous, in which the powers of government mobilization and legitimization are powerful and increasing, in which a sense of personal responsibility is increasingly attenuated by specialization and bureaucratization, and in which the peer group exerts tremendous pressures on behavior and sets moral norms. In such a world, I fear, modern governments that wish to commit mass murder will seldom fail in their efforts for being unable to induce "ordinary men" to become their "willing executioners".

By order of the Police Leader . . . all males between the ages of 17 and 45 convicted as plunderers are to be shot according to martial law. The shootings are to take place away from cities, villages, and thoroughfares.

What is clear is that the men's concern for their standing in the eyes of their comrades was not matched by any sense of human ties with their victims. The Jews stood outside their circle of human obligation and responsibility. Such a polarization between "us" and "them," between one's comrades and the enemy, is of course standard in war.

de Blasio is so useless the NYPD is actually hoping Trump sends in the military.

The crazy thing here is... we're just a powder keg sitting in a pool of gasoline, and it has yet to blow!

The Founders never intended for the Federal military to intervene in the states affairs. We still have a little thing called Habeus Corpus. If called upon, a large portion of military wouldn't follow those orders. An older cousin who was in the Marines during Vietnam was in that position stateside in the late 60's during the political unrest then. Another fellow I know was in the Corps at Camp Pendleton during the Rodney King affair in LA. The idea gets floated around, but it never happens. It's up to the Governors to utilize the National Guard (State Militia). They have that resource. But they all remember Kent State. Scared young guardsmen firing on students. Trump must let this be sorted out at the local level. Let those Governors govern, make the hard choices.

PPB's scary little secret...
They have been understaffed for years. The last year is only just over 60% of positions filled.
That's nearly half.

What happens in a big city when there are no police to actually show up?

The Founders never intended for the Federal military to intervene in the states affairs. We still have a little thing called Habeus Corpus. If called upon, a large portion of military wouldn't follow those orders. An older cousin who was in the Marines during Vietnam was in that position stateside in the late 60's during the political unrest then. Another fellow I know was in the Corps at Camp Pendleton during the Rodney King affair in LA. The idea gets floated around, but it never happens. It's up to the Governors to utilize the National Guard (State Militia). They have that resource. But they all remember Kent State. Scared young guardsmen firing on students. Trump must let this be sorted out at the local level. Let those Governors govern, make the hard choices.

Sir you are 100% wrong and I suggest you go back and re read the writings of the founders. It depends on which founder you are talking about. There is a reason there were Federalists and Anti Federalists .

Further more the acts such as the insurrection act of 1807 which was signed into law by the founders most assuredly in this case an Anti Federalist

Signed into law by President Thomas Jefferson on March 3, 1807

What the founders did not envision was that the act would have been amended multiple times over the years most recently 2007

The US military has been used multiple times by multiple presidents to enforce the law in the United States.

The first event was The Whiskey Rebellion George Washington led the army against Farmers refusing to pay the Whiskey Tax ... The most recent event was Bill Clinton's use of the US military during the Rodney Kind Riots in LA.

You need to go and re read history of specifically the late 1950's through the 1960's and see when the US military was used by the President to enforce the law. When Governors have disagreed or refused to activate the Guard under direction from the President , the President under Title 10 has Federalized the Guard to do the work against the wishes of the governors in those situations.

It depends on which founder you are talking about.

I'd agree with that comment.

But there has always been a disconnect between what politicians say, and what they do.

I can't think of any founders that advocated for a large standing Army. They were especially afraid that if one were established it could be used against the citizenry.

No Sir go back and re read your Federalist Papers Hamilton was very much a proponent of a standing Army as were many of his peers. Hence the Army Clause which was hotly contested by both Federalists and Anti Federalist.

Please remember most Federalists were in favor of a strong centralized government, after what they perceived was a failure of the Articles of Confederation. Hamilton and others saw the need for a standing military to defend the new nation against threats.

Blanket statements that all the founders were against standing a standing army is common misconception . For what it is worth there were numerous founders Hamilton included who wanted an American Monarchy.

There are days I wish more people would spend as much time reading the Constitution and it's supporting history as they did watching ESPN.

I can't think of any founders that advocated for a large standing Army. They were especially afraid that if one were established it could be used against the citizenry.
Navy came first.

To protect US citizens from foreign hostage....

600px-USS_Constitution_Departs.jpg

The founders also seemingly would have shot people / hung people for a lot less than we legally limit ourselves to today. Dueling was still a thing back then to settle disputes of honor, let alone stopping rioters from burning down buildings and endangering lives/livelihoods.

I was really interested in how they were feeling about the possibility of Trump sending the Army in and was surprised to hear they hadn't really started talking about that yet. His knee jerk reaction was not a good one, as he feels it's not the military's place to police American's on our soil.. and I agree.

Apparently General Mattis agrees.

Don't live in OR but, know a few LEO's here. Off the record? They are sick to their stomach what is going on. Most can not go on a public forum and share how they feel if they want to keep their job. I feel bad for those who are well into a career as they are stuck now. Big city Cops often have MORONS in charge who make a mess, tell the Cops to clean it up, then go to the media to throw their own guys under the buss at every turn. So what are the Cops supposed to do?

The founders also seemingly would have shot people / hung people for a lot less than we legally limit ourselves to today. Dueling was still a thing back then to settle disputes of honor, let alone stopping rioters from burning down buildings and endangering lives/livelihoods.

You sir are correct, they also did not believe in the premise that you should have a say if you didn't have a dog in the fight so to speak. That is a premise I wholly agree with , we allow people to vote now that do not contribute to the general welfare and are a net drain.

Status

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top