JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been trying to figure out what level of education is expected for police/sheriff deputies in the area. I'm still considering applying with the local Sheriff's office when I turn 21, but I'm also sniffing around for information.
Anything you've got would be helpful...

What percentage of officers do you think have a 4 year degree, 2 year degree, no college?
How does having/not having a degree affect promotion chances?
How many LEOs have military experience?

Basically, I'm about half-finished with my degree, and I'm looking at my options.
Thanks in advance. :)

Last Edited:
Yep finish school!!!....It opens up all sorts of possibilities. Make sure and look into reserve law enforcement or some sort of explorer's (they volunteer with LEO's) Are you working on a Bachelors?

Not sure about OR but in WA, state troops are initially trained the longest out of all agencies...That's definitely a GOOD thing.

(Although, game wardens have the best patrol vehicles - Ford F150's :cool:)

Most dept.'s require at least a 2 yr degree for promotion to Sgt., and some want a 4 yr for anything Lt. and above...just depends on the dept.

I can't recall how long the WSP academy is, but everyone else in WA goes thru 720hr academy, which works out to be approx. 4 1/2 months.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top