JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just acquired a rifle, it came with a Leopuld vari x 3 4.5-14x40 long range scope on it, reticle has a couple marks below the duplex cross hairs , anyone familiar with how these work? I have found it hard for me to adjust to any reticle other than a mildot , I guess because they are familiar to and work well for me.

I understand that much about it, I'm just not sure what those two marks represent as a value . I dug around online and found some info but the reticle styles I found weren't exactly the same. I heard that leopuld can change a scope reticle so that may be an option.

Yep they will change it for you. I think it is around a $100 IIRC. Might be better off just selling it and buying exactly what you want. Unless maybe you like everything but the reticle.

I see, I'll try to find that info somewhere, but I think I'll see about getting a mildot reticle put in it, or trade or sell it.
Thanks for the info.

Sounds like the LR Duplex. Leupold has a guesstimate in their manual about how much drop each dot has per a certain zero and certain velocity.

If you know the speed, BC and height of center of scope over the bore, by taking a shot at 100 yards and seeing how low each of those hit compared to your zero would tell you the difference at range they would be after a little math.

For example, if your shot lands 2 inches low at 100 yards, just take that data and plug it into a ballistics calculator and it will tell you the exact trajectory of that bulllet when using that notch as an aiming point.

I'm not much of an artist, but the reticle looks similar to this. And just want to say thanks to everyone for their input, and advice. KIMG0145.jpg

I really like those reticles for hunting where I don't have time to twist turrets for elevation changes. I have a Burris and Leupold with reticles likes that - one on a 22LR and another on a 270 Win. On the 22LR the main cross hair is dead on at 50 yards, first hash on at 75 yards and second hash dead on at 100 yards (well, as dead on as a Savage 22LR can be). On the 270, main crosshair 1.5 inch high at 100 yards and dead on at 200 yards. First hash on at 300 yards...at least for the purpose of killing a deer, and second hash on at 400 yards. Again, close enough so you don't have to hold the main cross hair over and guess. The thicker post is suppose to be on at 500 yards, but never tried it. To be honest I'm a 300 yards an in hunter, so never actually tried the longer range marks with the 270.

I read in theory where each hash mark should line up with a given caliber/velocity/BC, but when I actually tested it on paper, it wasn't exact. Close but not exact.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top