JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I know there has been a lot of discussion here about whether one should infrorm a LEO if you are carrying during an interaction. I know some states mandate declaring but here in Oregon, there is no such requirnment.

I've been stopped 3 times in the last 2 days for having a tail light out (and driving a dirt bag looking car). I got rear-ended last week and am still negotiating with the insurance company over a fix. I work at night so I am an easy target. Each time, the officer asked for my license and information, ran it, gave me a polite worning and wished me well. My hands were in plain view at all times and I was extremely polite. I was carrying each time and there was never any reason to declare. Showing my CHL or saying "By the way, I am legally carrying a handgun" would have unneccessarily escalated the situation and turned a routine traffic stop into a big mess. The officer had nothing to worry about from my so declaring my lawful CHL gun would have been as useful as declaring the ham sandwich in my lunch.

From my former experience as a LEO, I would advise not to declare unless you are specifically asked or are about to be searched. Either way, you are already in a mess so try to diffuse things as much as you can by being honest and forthcoming. Otherwise, keep your mouth shut. Depending on the laws in you jurisdiciton, of course.

By the way, the City and State Police I have had interactions with have been awesome. Very polite and professional. A big change from California. YMMV of course.

If you got your concealed handgun license in Oregon when the officer runs you it shows up so he knows. Most officers I know do not worry about people with licenses, it is those without that worry us. I too agree that there is no need to inform the officer if you are carrying. That is what I advise people when they ask me if they should.

As posted above, once the LEO runs you by ODL or Name/DOB they will see your CHL or dispatch should let them know you have it, along with your driving status and anything else that shows up in LEDS/NCIC

Hold on!

If you have a car that's not legal to perform on the road? Why are you driving it?
Take it off the road until it's fixed. Or replace the bulb and bandage it up with tape if you can. But you need the lights to work

What gives one person the right to jeopardize the safety of others? o_O

I know there has been a lot of discussion here about whether one should infrorm a LEO if you are carrying during an interaction. I know some states mandate declaring but here in Oregon, there is no such requirnment.

I've been stopped 3 times in the last 2 days for having a tail light out (and driving a dirt bag looking car). I got rear-ended last week and am still negotiating with the insurance company over a fix. I work at night so I am an easy target. Each time, the officer asked for my license and information, ran it, gave me a polite worning and wished me well. My hands were in plain view at all times and I was extremely polite. I was carrying each time and there was never any reason to declare. Showing my CHL or saying "By the way, I am legally carrying a handgun" would have unneccessarily escalated the situation and turned a routine traffic stop into a big mess. The officer had nothing to worry about from my so declaring my lawful CHL gun would have been as useful as declaring the ham sandwich in my lunch.

From my former experience as a LEO, I would advise not to declare unless you are specifically asked or are about to be searched. Either way, you are already in a mess so try to diffuse things as much as you can by being honest and forthcoming. Otherwise, keep your mouth shut. Depending on the laws in you jurisdiciton, of course.

By the way, the City and State Police I have had interactions with have been awesome. Very polite and professional. A big change from California. YMMV of course.
OMG! You were polite to an officer and what...Nothing happened? And he was polite in return? Wow, that was easy. Oh wait, for some people that's really a hard concept to grasp. Lol. Kudos.

As posted above, once the LEO runs you by ODL or Name/DOB they will see your CHL or dispatch should let them know you have it, along with your driving status and anything else that shows up in LEDS/NCIC
All true, they already know. But as he said, there's no requirement in Oregon to inform the officer. The few times I've interacted with I've always handed them my CHL card along with the drivers license. I don't mind a little bit of up front cooperation. I've got no axe to grind.
Their job is hard enough without having to deal with riff raff and experts of every level all day. I strive to be the guy that if pulled over will likely be the one who gets the warning and maybe a chuckle or two.

They know before they even get out of their car. They will call in the plate. It will come back "Vehicle registered to
XXXXXX, no wants or warrants, be advised owner has a valid CHL"

They know before they even get out of their car. They will call in the plate. It will come back "Vehicle registered to

not always.. ever borrow someone else's car .. Our car is in my wifes name only but I'm the daily driver and our SUV is in both and she is the primary driver. My kid has a car and is the primary driver and she isn't on the title at all.

add this know how many cars have DMV flags on them for being sold, or buyer info on file/not received

and "be advised" along with "prepare to copy" makes me smile

on topic, no ORS to advise them and common curiosity goes a long way

I was pulled over today for the first time in a year. G31 in glove box. He didn't ask and I didn't offer. I would have told him had he asked, but since he didn't....
The interaction was polite and professional, even when he handed me a citation for speeding, 80 in a 65.

All true, they already know. But as he said, there's no requirement in Oregon to inform the officer. The few times I've interacted with I've always handed them my CHL card along with the drivers license. I don't mind a little bit of up front cooperation. I've got no axe to grind.
Their job is hard enough without having to deal with riff raff and experts of every level all day. I strive to be the guy that if pulled over will likely be the one who gets the warning and maybe a chuckle or two.

I do exactly the same thing and I have gotten a lot of warnings over the years with only a few tickets. Yes, I said a lot of warning, let's be honest I like to speed (safely of course)!:D

Thanks for info. I didn't know that the CHL info was available when running the plate. It makes good sense. Coming from California where very few carry permits are issued, we did not have ready access to that information, at least not while I was working there. It makes me even more impressed with the polite interaction with all the LEO's I've had here.

Medic!, you are absolutely right in calling me out. I work nights and the buses don't run on Sundays so I made the reckless decision to drive the two miles to work selfishly putting the dozen or so vehicles on the road that night at risk. You'll be relieved to know that I've been taking the bus ever since.

It's truly inspiring to know someone like you who has never jeopardized the safety of others by, say, exceeding the posted speed limit, driving while distracted or failing to come to a complete stop at each and every stop sign. I'll will do my best to follow your example as someone who has never made a mistake or a bad decision while driving...dick.

Thanks for info. I didn't know that the CHL info was available when running the plate. It makes good sense. Coming from California where very few carry permits are issued, we did not have ready access to that information, at least not while I was working there. It makes me even more impressed with the polite interaction with all the LEO's I've had here.

Medic!, you are absolutely right in calling me out. I work nights and the buses don't run on Sundays so I made the reckless decision to drive the two miles to work selfishly putting the dozen or so vehicles on the road that night at risk. You'll be relieved to know that I've been taking the bus ever since.

It's truly inspiring to know someone like you who has never jeopardized the safety of others by, say, exceeding the posted speed limit, driving while distracted or failing to come to a complete stop at each and every stop sign. I'll will do my best to follow your example as someone who has never made a mistake or a bad decision while driving...dick.

I was a real azz hat when I was a young driver.
Just don't get hurt. ;)

I'm not sure if you are with an LE agency, but that's not the ways it's done in the rural part of the state. If you're lucky enough to have an MDT in your patrol rig you'll get a return, but a dispatcher is not going to run individuals until asked to. Plate is given, contact made, ODL obtained.
LEO: "12:10 (driving record) 12:20 (wants/warrants) on ODL number 1234567."
Dispatch: "Your driver, John Doe of Salem, Oregon is clear (driving privileges) and 12:21 (no wants no warrants) with a valid 12:20c (CHL). Your 12:7 (plate) returns to the same, expires 4/18and shows State Farm with no expiration."

Haven't been pulled over in years.

However common sense is to never say: handgun, firearm,
weapon etc.

If we do feel the need to inform an officer, it will be to hand our CHL along with the DL & reg / insurance.

Both the reg / insurance are now stored up in extra cubbies our vehicles have (nice features) so hands would be visible at all times.

Please be mindful of other state laws you may be traveling thru or visiting, if you have nonresident cards. Not all have the same laws we do in Oregon, and it's the individuals responsibility to be aware of the law.

Hold on!

If you have a car that's not legal to perform on the road? Why are you driving it?
Take it off the road until it's fixed. Or replace the bulb and bandage it up with tape if you can. But you need the lights to work

What gives one person the right to jeopardize the safety of others? o_O

Or mount a temporary light of some sort on it . But if your driving around with 1 taillight your just asking for it. I do a check on my rig every month to make sure everything is working. A simple prevention

Similar to what has happened to me. My commuter is a 20 year old corrolla with a big dent and I rarely wash the car. Each time I have been pulled over I have been dirty from, work, eyes most likely blood shot frim being tired and hair a mess. One time I watched the cop watch me get into my vehicle before pulling me over. I am most certain my appearance has played a part in them finding an excuse to pull me over as it has never happened on Sundays when I am showered, wearing a clean shirt, partially shaved and the mop is combed. During the three times I have been pulled over in the last four months I turned my dome light on and kept my hands on the wheel while the officer approached. Each time I announced I have a chl, am armed and ask if it's okay to reach for my wallet. None requested to or accepted the offer to see my permit, only one shined a flashlight on my hands while I reached for my drivers license, all 3 thanked me for informing them of the presence of a firearm and none wrote me a ticket. Maybe I am just fortunate to live in a rural area, but I feel with all the @$$holes taking pop shots at leo's, it is best to be open and forthright when there may be a percieved threat present.

Or mount a temporary light of some sort on it .

Or aux. lighting - often seen on pickups - a light bar below the tailgate/etc. with LEDs that turn yellow with the turn signal, then if the regular taillight goes out the LEO has no reason to stop you as you have a backup.

Quality LEDs typically last longer than the life of the vehicle. I had them on my previous car (stock taillights were LED) and never had problems with them - the car is now 14 years old and it still has no problems with the lights - only the headlights burn out about once a year and then there is a dash warning light saying a light has gone out. One front turn signal did burn out once early on but not since.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top