JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I've been looking at several antique receivers, wondering what I could make from them. My thoughts were to buy a bare receiver and create a pistol from it. Akin to something that would have come out of the Khyber pass.

Would a pre 1899 (cartridge, not muzzleloader) rifle be exempt from having to be registered as an SBR?

As I understand the law, I'd legally be allowed to convert a cartridge firearm to a SBS, SBR or pistol, but only if the receiver was built pre January 1st 1899.

If you know about this, please let me know. Though I may contact the ATF no matter what, I certainly don't want commit an accidental felony.

If you have a question about firearms law that you cannot answer to your own satisfaction from reading the law, supporting cases, and other research, it is best to consult with an actual attorney who specializes in that area of the law. The internet will have a large number of armchair legal experts whose own skin is not in your game. With the pleasure of firearms ownership it is reasonable to assume a duty of care in studying the actual laws and making your own interpretation as ultimately it is you who must take a defensible position in both tactics and strategy.

No*:
"For the purposes of the National Firearms Act, the term "Antique Firearms" means any firearm not intended or redesigned for using rim fire or conventional center fire ignition with fixed ammunition and manufactured in or before 1898..."

*The theoretical exception (if I understand it correctly) under federal law being if the cartridges aren't available**:
"...and also any firearm using fixed ammunition manufactured in or before 1898, for which ammunition is no longer manufactured in the United States and is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade"
However, there's no list of cartridges that the ATF considers unavailable, and somebody listing a single cartridge on gunbroker could presumably make the gun an illegal SBR, so it seems very ill advised no matter how obscure the cartridge.

**Also assuming that state law uses the same definition as the feds of "antique" and "SBR"/"SBS"/etc. and treats them the same, which doesn't seem to be the case for antiques as discussed in Washington - FFL Question. Needed or not, this looks grey to me though that may be a moot point since it also comes back to ammunition availability.

So it depends on when it was manufactured, if it's in a caliber that is no longer in current production. Yep, it's a legal grey area and I'm not willing to chance it.

Looks like I'll be setting up a gun trust and then getting a tax stamp. Always best to err on the side of caution.

Anyhow, I'm sure this will be an interesting project. I've always wanted to create a pistol from a rifle. I originally thought of using a Martini Henry action, but an early Mauser is rather tempting.

There are some pre 1899 SBR's that are NFA exempt however they are few and far between . A good example are WInchester trapper variants of some of their lever guns . Keep in mind there are also NFA examples of the same guns . I do not believe it is legal to make a SBR OR SBS out of a pre1899 firearm if it was not in that configuration to begin with, having said that I am not a lawyer and I did not stay in a Holiday Inn last night.

He_s_Right.png Anyway...that's also my understanding of it.

Then....there are the new production "pistols" (looking like a cut-down rifle).....that looks like something from the past.

Example:
Josh Randall's Wanted: Dead or Alive "Mare's Leg" Winchester

In case you forgot..........

Aloha, Mark

PS......some new offerings of the Mare's Leg.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top