JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Is this legal? Had a person wanting to buy my XDM 40 that is 19. Got to find out but leary non the less.
Thanks for any advise. Jim Sr.

I did find this but still leary.

"If the purchase is from a private individual... yes, if you are 18 or over

Federal law imposes the following restrictions aimed at younger persons:

A person must be 21 years of age to purchase a handgun or handgun ammunition, and 18 years of age to buy a rifle or shotgun or ammunition, from a retail firearm dealer. (GCA, 1968)

Washington - A commercial firearms dealer may not deliver a pistol to a purchaser who is prevented from possessing a pistol, or who is under 21 or to one who he or she has reasonable cause to believe is a drug addict, habitual drunkard, or of unsound mind. No person shall deliver a pistol to any person under 18 or to one who he or she has reasonable cause to believe has been convicted of a felony, or who is a drug addict, an habitual drunkard or of unsound mind."

Short answer is yes.

Long answer is;

RCW 9.41.040: Unlawful possession of firearms ? Ownership, possession by certain persons ? Restoration of right to possess ? Penalties. section (2)(a)(iii)

Little less critical, RCW 9.41.240: Possession of pistol by person from eighteen to twenty-one.

Federal law is the one that only allows handguns to be sold to persons over 21. Assuming you do not have a Federal license and it is not going across state lines (would also be illegal) because that is what the Feds can control then you are legal. As I am sure you are aware laws are written to say what is illegal. WA has no law that makes it illegal to sell to a person over 18.

Short answer is yes.

Long answer is;

RCW 9.41.040: Unlawful possession of firearms ? Ownership, possession by certain persons ? Restoration of right to possess ? Penalties. section (2)(a)(iii)

Little less critical, RCW 9.41.240: Possession of pistol by person from eighteen to twenty-one.

Federal law is the one that only allows handguns to be sold to persons over 21. Assuming you do not have a Federal license and it is not going across state lines (would also be illegal) because that is what the Feds can control then you are legal. As I am sure you are aware laws are written to say what is illegal. WA has no law that makes it illegal to sell to a person over 18.

BUT, the 18yo cannot posses the handgun off his property?(second link)
So you would have to deliver it to his abode or place of business?
I know there is some transport language in there someplace.
RCW 9.41.042 Children — Permissible firearm possession.
Unless an exception under RCW 9.41.042, 9.41.050, or 9.41.060 applies, a person at least eighteen years of age, but less than twenty-one years of age, may possess a pistol only:

(1) In the person's place of abode;

(2) At the person's fixed place of business; or

(3) On real property under his or her control.

BUT, the 18yo cannot posses the handgun off his property?(second link)
So you would have to deliver it to his abode or place of business?
I know there is some transport language in there someplace.
RCW 9.41.042 Children — Permissible firearm possession.
Unless an exception under RCW 9.41.042, 9.41.050, or 9.41.060 applies, a person at least eighteen years of age, but less than twenty-one years of age, may possess a pistol only:

(1) In the person's place of abode;

(2) At the person's fixed place of business; or

(3) On real property under his or her control.

Or if they are doing any of the items that I placed in red the exempt them from just those 3 places.

So the buyer receives it then follows the exemptions......

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top