JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I agree. That's why I spook them first. I like to pinch them on the butt to get them to run off. Thirty feet is waaay too far for that.

The best reaction is when you goose 'em.

P
1609909136657.png

I recall an article on this subject in which hearing 1 shot meant it was probably a kill.
2 shots, same thing.
3 or more shots means the critter got away.
# of rounds expended varies inversely with chances of success.

This applies to hunting. Serious social work is a totally different ballgame.

One shot, one deer.
Two shots, maybe one deer.
Three shots, no deer.

Opening day mule deer season in Oregon, 2007, I was hunting with my dad. At first shooting light we heard boom, boom, boom. I told dad to get ready, something might come running by. Sure enough, about 30 seconds later a nice 3x3 ran by us at about 30 feet. He made the mistake of stopping and looking back at 125 yards. I thumbed back the hammer on the model 71 and put the gold bead on his chest. That was all.

P

I recall an article on this subject in which hearing 1 shot meant it was probably a kill.
2 shots, same thing.
3 or more shots means the critter got away.
# of rounds expended varies inversely with chances of success.

This applies to hunting. Serious social work is a totally different ballgame.
Shooting a Bison is like shooting a Volkswagen. :s0001:

I always thought the 5 round rule only applied to semi auto rifles, but what about bolt actions?

My Ruger Scout came with a 10 rounder and I haven't had a chance to find a 5 rounder, rather not have to if I do not need to.
Your Scout is fine...Page 18 under General Weapons Provision for hunting game mammals. 5 round limit applies to semi-autos only

Hunt with a 30 if you want. While not a hunter myself I've gotten into this argument with hunters numerous times. Same goes with silencers. I haven't looked at this year's synopsis but in the past it's completely legal. I even called OSP and got into an argument with them bout silencers. They told me, (I should clarify, some chick who answered the phone...) that I couldn't because silencers are illegal. I told her she was an idiot.......
Cops are not lawyers.
Lawyers are not cops.
Thank God for small blessings.

You can always tell those who only wish they could do it.
You can tell them, but you can't tell them much.

I've shot 2 branch bulls in their beds in the Oregon Cascades. Rude of me, I know. With a third branch bull I ran out of cover at 68 yards so I shot him.

I don't really count the spike I shot at 90 feet, he was only a year and a half. They're so cute at that age. Tasty, too.

P

No pics of the tasty murder, but here's the 68 yard 4x4. Good thing it was 68 yards, I wouldn't have been able to see him at 75.

52203E56-A407-48B4-BBC6-D9E96D2E1573.jpeg

I do love me a 4x4, they eat like spikes but they're 50% bigger.

And here's a pic of a margarita from Big Daddy's in Boquete, Panama.

61683BA0-2F90-488A-B777-3863DD91EF05.jpeg

The first of a few. Stiff as all get out, fresh lime, $4.95 regular price. The food didn't thrill me but the drinks did.
Snuck right up on this one.

P

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews