JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Go to sportsmans and buy the ruger plastic 5 round mag.

It is lighter and is the perfect hight to protect the trigger guard.

Just my .02 after buying all three plastic mags (3, 5 & 10).

Yep. I can't tell anybody else what they need, but for me, the 5-round magazine trims up the Scout Rifle nicely.:s0060:

P1060132.jpg

P1010016.jpg

Washington has tried all kinds of caliber regulations and finally gave up. The magazine restrictions of other states is trying to solve a (potential) problem that never existed. Sure 5 rounds is enough but until something becomes a problem why try to regulate it.

" I am sure if there were no round limits the mag dumps would be to the capacity of the mags."
Like I said until it's a problem there's no need to solve something that doesn't happen. I hunted for decades and never heard a mag dump anywhere anytime. It is common around noon to hear people shooting at a dirt bank because the deer are usually bedded down and people will check their zero or goof around just shooting but that's expected. But strangely in all my years of target shooting I've never seen "mag dumps" at ranges as you pointed out. In my opinion it's something so seldom done that we need not waste our legislative money paying liberal legislatures to regulate things that are so rare it's not a problem. We have too many laws now.

Last Edited:
So the Regs say semi-auto RIFLE magazine capacity not to exceed 5 rounds

That means it is legal to use my AR-15 pistol with a 30 round mag for big game

That's how I read if they specify rifle in the regs.

I've never seen "mag dumps" at ranges as you pointed out.

Actually I did not 'point out' mag dumps at ranges.
What I said was:
It's bad enough when out hunting hearing a five round mag dump

And in all my years of hunting I have occasionally heard a mag dump off in the distance and I suspect it was someone unloading on a running animal - and none of the areas I hunt are anywhere near a range.

And you are right - there really is NO problem because the round limit is only five rounds so there is really isn't much more to 'regulate' - unless for some reason the round count were reduced even more.

My point is/was IF there were no round count limits people would undoubtedly crank off whatever amount they had at running game.

It is common around noon to hear people shooting at a dirt bank because the deer are usually bedded down and people will check their zero or goof around just shooting but that's expected.

WEll I have never 'expected' this and it must be a new 'revelation' - and I'm glad I've never hunted around these types.

Most hunters I have known and hunted with are respectful of the quiet nature of hunting, keep a quiet camp and keep unnecessary noises to a minimum for the good of the experience for all.

Last Edited:
I have a question, being the Yugo SKS is designed by the factory to allow the turning off at the gas switch which disables semi-auto. If one had a Yugo SKS and kept the switch in the OFF position ( non-semi) would it be legal ?
Or does it fall under the same idea that if it has a prohibited or limited option then that is where it applies ?

Case of full Auto, which could be switched to semi-auto but isn't allowed, but a firearm such as the SKS semi-auto Yugo that can be used as a bolt action ? Our non action rifle.

Just curious because these tend to come with 10rounders and sure a block is legal but wondered. Anyone know ?

While my advice is general, I feel that if you were stopped, had 5 in the magazine, and the gas turned off, and were respectful to the Game Warden, you would be fine. I personally would also shove something beneathe the spring while in the field to limit magazine capacity. The cheapo hunting pump action shotguns do the same thing, but with a dowel rod.

While I agree with everything TNThomas said, there is a vulnerable point in the gray area that, depending on the game officers mood that day, could be cite-able, and that is "capable of", and your adjustable gas valve, again, is "capable of" at your disgression being semi-auto, with a 10 round mag. It is very easy to convert your rifle to removable magazines with the duckbill mag, with no permanent modifications, and ProMag makes 5 rounders that work very well...Just my 2 cents worth. I've met game officials that will grill you to the finest detail, and those who just want to have a good day, so...do ya feel lucky?

112BE30A-C339-466E-9FF3-A36202C8B8DC.jpeg
39FCB9E7-F243-4530-9F2E-59EABD8DDEA6.jpeg

I shoot Tikkas, so I cheat.

P

Page-20 of the 2015 ODFW regulations state:

CENTERFIRE FIREARM

■ Fully automatic firearms prohibited.
■ Semiautomatic rifles with a magazine capacity greater than five cartridges prohibited (except for western gray squirrel).
■ Military or full-metal jacket bullets in original or altered form prohibited.
■ Hunters may use any muzzleloader with any ignition type, except matchlock, any legal sight, any propellant, or any bullet type during

So, reading WHAT IS WRITTEN:

1. NO full-auto anything.

2. Semi-auto RIFLES; magazine CAPACITY not to exceed 5-rounds. 5 in the mag, and IF you must... one in the chamber, but if you need more than 1 or 2 rounds... o_O:rolleyes: You must put a limiter/block in it if it's not already factory limited to 5 rounds, NOT just "under-load" it. If you're using a bolt-action, pump-action, lever-action, or break-action firearm you can have a drum-magazine on it if you want.

Since the regulations state semi-auto RIFLES, mag limits don't apply to semi-auto handguns.

This is for big game hunting, game bird hunting with shotguns is limited to 3-rounds total, two in the mag (with limiter) and one in the chamber.

Capiche? o_O
No Matchlocks.....Well that sucks....:mad:

I prefer to stalk the game to get as close as possible. I stalked the last buck to within 30 feet. The real weapon is the hunter.

I agree. That's why I spook them first. I like to pinch them on the butt to get them to run off. Thirty feet is waaay too far for that.

The best reaction is when you goose 'em.

P

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads