JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Am I the only one here that feels the need for an area where members can talk or hash out political beliefs and ideas? Not a section where you can go and bicker or ridicule each other, but a place where everyone can have their opinions on political issues without having the posts edited or the threads locked, as long as the threads are kept civil.

I agree with you completely. I came to this section looking for the discussion that a Moderator said was here, but have been unable to find it. If the babysitters say we can not have political discussions, I would like to know where exactly the line is drawn. Before learning of this rule, I commented on two different threads, this evening, that could be considered political. In one I said how proud I am of my daughter who leaves for boot camp on may 5th, and on another I appologized to service members for my recent negligence in flying a flag as support for their sacrifices. Are these threads going to be shut down next?

I can appreciate the censorship to a point, there is the image of NWFA to uphold, but what is wrong with having a civilized discussion about politics. More people than ever before have been showing an interest in politics within the last year, and it would be nice to be able to discuss politics with like minded (or not) people from both sides of the fence. The NWFA infraction system was put into place for a reason, if members cannot discuss civilly, then the rules should be enforced.

Therein lies the problem, I haven't seen a political thread yet that stays civil for very long.

When things become uncivilized you can use the infraction system, if the problems still exist show the offenders the door. There are lots of good posts being locked, and it seems the same people in each post are the ones getting them locked.

Part of this system should be to help keep each other in check, some times we may , as in myself, not see the implications of what we post. Input helps us, myself included, better understand where others are coming from, shutting a person out or silencing them does no good in the learning process.

Perhaps better moderators is the answer.

Not to step on any of the mods toes, isn't locking a thread similar to banning a gun? Locking the thread does nothing to stop the problem, just like taking guns doesn't stop crime. The ones who are causing the threads to be locked should be dealt with. It is unfair to the thread to lock it, it has done nothing wrong.

When things become uncivilized you can use the infraction system, if the problems still exist show the offenders the door. There are lots of good posts being locked, and it seems the same people in each post are the ones getting them locked.

Our goal is to keep things civilized, not to constantly wade into these situations issuing points. Once these posts blow-up, it takes a lot of time & effort to sort out what went wrong and deal with offenders. The benefit of allowing discussion of these topics does not outweigh the costs of dealing with the aftermath.

If I want to talk politics in general there are thousands of sights to utilize. I'm with keeping the politcs gun related only. Otherwise maybe the site should be called: Politics or Northwest Firearms.com

Just my humble opinion.
:s0131:

If I want to talk politics in general there are thousands of sights to utilize. I'm with keeping the politcs gun related only. Otherwise maybe the site should be called: Politics or Northwest Firearms.com

Jut my humble opinion.

you're right! We need to start over with this.

A local gun manufacturer, faced with dire economic times.........:s0114:

Jut my humble opinion.

At the moment firearms tend to be a highly politicized topic. And people want to be able to vent their frustrations over others who want to infringe on these rights.

The next step, is when those of us who enjoy our rights voice concerns over politicians who have a history of being anti-gun.

Inevitably, somebody who voted for that politician defends said theoretical politician, and says something like "he/she hasn't done anything YET!"

Those who wish to express dissent with said politician get crap flung at them for not going with the "popular" opinion and the viewpoint that "good (sheeple) citizens" are supposed to have, as outlined by the media.

And it all goes downhill from there.

I'm gonna go dump some tea in Puget sound now.

Even the big forums have been finding it increasingly difficult to maintain political forums. They very quickly become black eyes on the gun community to the point where some of the larger boards even started receiving pressure from sponsors to tone down the right wing rhetoric (and we are talking sponsors like the NRA and gun dealers). Sadly they tend to degenerate into a bunch of bullies shoving their own prejudices down the throats of everyone else.

Even the big forums have been finding it increasingly difficult to maintain political forums. They very quickly become black eyes on the gun community to the point where some of the larger boards even started receiving pressure from sponsors to tone down the right wing rhetoric (and we are talking sponsors like the NRA and gun dealers). Sadly they tend to degenerate into a bunch of bullies shoving their own prejudices down the throats of everyone else.

Its really not a shock that the NRA would want to dampen things, they have supported anti 2A legislation in the past, but that is beside the point.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top