JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I didnt do a search so bear with me if there are threads out there.

I often have heard that if I was ever in a situation where I had to draw and fire in self defense that the opposing side's attorney would look for every angle to move blame to my side. Ive heard things like "dont use hand loaded ammo" or, "dont have any Tactical training" and things like that. People have told me that a lawyer could paint a person to look like they have been training or preparing to shoot someone. What are some opinions out there? Would someone who is a competition shooter be more at risk of a lawsuit if they end up shooting someone in SD and the opposing lawyer paints them as a blood-thirsty gun toting professional shooter who was just waiting for a victim?

If you have to shot someone, things have went bad and it is you or him that is about to die.

They can sue or thier family can sue and yes it will cost money, but you and your loved ones will be alive, and not dead.

They can paint a picture that you are crazy for even having a gun........

There are plenty of shooting situations that don't even make it past a simple investigation. Then others go though whole court hearings.

I have a Concealed.

A: YOU are not a cop
B: If you can escape the situation do so the fact you could have left and decided to pursue is huge.

C: If you pull your firearm ever then call 911 and wait even if no shots are fired. By standers may not know you and saw you point a gun and some one running. Well you just brandished a firearm call police and make a report.

D: Type of ammo is not as important as why you shot them.

F: You are not a vigilante, or Batman.

G: Pulling your firearm is a last resort never ever a first one YOU ARE NOT A COP !

I would add to this:

Make sure the next call you make after 911 is to a self defense lawyer.

Do not give any statement to the police until you have consulted aforementioned lawyer.

as said above ammo type doesnt legally matter but you probably should use store bought ammo. its more reliable and this is when it counts to have reliable ammo. also unless you live in Florida make sure you are shooting in an attempt to escape danger (shooting to kill them in defense does count as escaping danger). also what i would say to the police is: "he made me fear for my life, i shot him. i would like to keep any further statement to myself until i have spoken to a lawyer" then of course follow the orders of the police to keep from incriminating yourself.

now Florida is a no retreat state, where if such a confrontation begins you can advance and pursue that person and still kill them and be deemed righteous(so long as it was indeed a situation where it would otherwise be deemed righteous).

you have the right to remain sighlent anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law.leos will atempt to get answers out of you "you must tell us what happened""you didnt do anything wrong""you dont have anything to hide""i would have done the same just give a statement""if you dont were gonna have to hold you till you do"and they may hold you" if your not aresting me let me go""what am i being arested for""you havent read me my rights" "you are not under arest you are being detained for questioning" dont fall for it a few hours in jail is nothing to distroying the rest of your life

Ever hear of a counter-suit for allowing their family member to be a D-bag?

My grandfather was not charged after shooting two in a home invasion of his place. They had picked up a couple of his old guns and were walking aorund with them. After that the family filed a wrongful death lawsuit for their little angel. The only thing that saved my grandfather from a judgement against him was one piece of buckshot from his shotgun lodged in the stock of his old gun the bad guy had picked up. The premise of the wrongful death suit was that my grandfather had planted the gun.

You cannot countersue in such a situation, and it cost him over $200k in legal fees.

If you have to shot someone, things have went bad and it is you or him that is about to die.

They can sue or thier family can sue and yes it will cost money, but you and your loved ones will be alive, and not dead.

Let's not forget RCW 9a.16.110 Section 1.

(1) No person in the state shall be placed in legal jeopardy of any kind whatsoever for protecting by any reasonable means necessary, himself or herself, his or her family, or his or her real or personal property, or for coming to the aid of another who is in imminent danger of or the victim of assault, robbery, kidnapping, arson, burglary, rape, murder, or any other violent crime as defined in RCW 9.94A.030.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top