Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Legal Question: Statutory Authority to exclude weapons

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by Liberty97045, Sep 13, 2013.

1. Liberty97045

Liberty97045 Oregon City Well-Known Member

Many of you will have seen my recent post in the General discussion section regarding the sign placed by Parkrose Hardware excluding firearms and other weapons.

I have also had discussions with NW Armory about their sign.

My question is this: Do these exclusions have the force of law in Oregon?

I understand that workplaces can exclude weapons but this is part of the employee / employer contract (for now).

2. One-Eyed Ross

One-Eyed Ross Winlock, WA Well-Known Member

Private property is private property. The owner can make whatever rules he wants to make about entrance to his property. You can voice your opinion by not shopping there..

3. duane black

duane black Washington Well-Known Member

Oregon residents please chime in if I am incorrect....

It is my understanding that the signs themselves, do not carry the " force of law " .

( if they do, please cite )

But..

A private business can create any rule they like, and 86 you if you break said rule. If you refuse to leave, you can be trespassed.

On a personal note I make sure nobody knows I am carrying. I do not carry into places defined by law, that are prohibited for me to carry in.

I also subscribe to what OER posted. I just will not shop in a place like that. I like parkrose as much as the next guy and believe in supporting local business, but home depot sure is a nice store...

4. solv3nt

solv3nt Portland Well-Known Member

Trespassing with a firearm, even worse.

164.265 Criminal trespass while in possession of a firearm.
    (1) A person commits the crime of criminal trespass while in possession of a firearm who, while in possession of a firearm, enters or remains unlawfully in or upon premises.
    (2) Criminal trespass while in possession of a firearm is a Class A misdemeanor

duane black and (deleted member) like this.
  5. duane black

duane black Washington Well-Known Member

Good info for sure. :thumbup: