JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Now I know that in Alaska you have to declare you have your concealed pistol with you in the car AS SOON as the officer makes contact with you. Although I believe this is due to Alaska not requiring a CPL to conceal.

Is this the same way with WA state? I don't want to have my handgun confiscated because I didn't let the officer know right away that I have a CP in the car with me. (I'm referring to that Alaska State Troopers episode where this happens)

In WA you do NOT have to declare if you have a firearm, BUT if the LEO asks if you have one then you to have to answer truthfully (well you don't have to but if caught......).

This is one of the things that has been hashed out over and over. IMHO I don't tell the LEO unless they ask. My reason is that I am not bringing a gun into a traffic stop that has NOTHING to do with my gun(s). There is no reason to add another layer to what should be a simple, stop, answer the LEO questions and then find out if you are getting a ticket or not. If the LEO wants to bring guns into the traffic stop that is his choice..........

Here are all the WA gun laws, Chapter 9.41 RCW: Firearms and dangerous weapons Take a min to read them and then bookmark them for reference. They are pretty straight forward for the most part.

Here is a reference I found on the internet so down know how true it is but it should be reasonably accurate but it is from 2008;

There are only 10 Must Notify States.
Alaska,Louisiana,Michigan,Nebraska,North Carolina,Ohio,Oklahoma,South Carolina,Texas,and Utah.

Here are all the WA gun laws, Chapter 9.41 RCW: Firearms and dangerous weapons Take a min to read them and then bookmark them for reference. They are pretty straight forward for the most part.

That's not absolutely all of it. There's info about carrying long guns in cars in RCW 77.15.460 There could be other info I don't know of all I've ever found is the stuff in 9.41 and 77.15.460. I guess there might be separate laws about carry while on an ORV. Oregon has some.

Has nothing to do with what we are talking about
And here I thought this thread was about carrying loaded firearms in vehicles and Washington state gun laws...

I realize this thread is focused on handguns but since another poster said that 9.41 was the totality of WA gun laws I wanted to let people know that there are other laws affecting how you carry guns in vehicles so they didn't blindly take that advice and get in trouble.

And here I thought this thread was about carrying loaded firearms in vehicles and Washington state gun laws...

I realize this thread is focused on handguns but since another poster said that 9.41 was the totality of WA gun laws I wanted to let people know that there are other laws affecting how you carry guns in vehicles so they didn't blindly take that advice and get in trouble.

That is not even close to what I said. I provided a link to all of the gun laws and I stand by that 100%. I did not say 9.41 was all the gun laws anywhere did I?

If you even bothered to read the link I posted you might learn something but I will put the pertinent part here for you to read;

Chapter 9.41 RCW
Firearms and dangerous weapons

Notes:
Carrying loaded firearm in vehicle: RCW 77.15.460.
Explosives: Chapter 70.74 RCW.

Possessing a stolen firearm: RCW 9A.56.310.

Shooting firearm from, across, or along public highway: RCW 77.15.460.

Theft of a firearm: RCW 9A.56.300.

It can be found at the link I provided, Chapter 9.41 RCW: Firearms and dangerous weapons

So it would seem you left out a few other sections yourself, yet I did not.................

That is not even close to what I said. I provided a link to all of the gun laws and I stand by that 100%. I did not say 9.41 was all the gun laws anywhere did I?

If you even bothered to read the link I posted you might learn something but I will put the pertinent part here for you to read;

Chapter 9.41 RCW
Firearms and dangerous weapons

Notes:
Carrying loaded firearm in vehicle: RCW 77.15.460.
Explosives: Chapter 70.74 RCW.

Possessing a stolen firearm: RCW 9A.56.310.

Shooting firearm from, across, or along public highway: RCW 77.15.460.

Theft of a firearm: RCW 9A.56.300.

It can be found at the link I provided, Chapter 9.41 RCW: Firearms and dangerous weapons

So it would seem you left out a few other sections yourself, yet I did not.................

You are right. I did not follow your link. I have read RCW 9.41 many times before and did not feel like a refresher at that time. I read title/label of your link and made a not unreasonable assumption that since it said "Chapter 9.41 RCW" that was all it linked to.

I don't want to fight with you. I just want to make sure that people are aware of the gun laws and that they are in more places than just RCW 9.41. Your link does lead to more than just RCW 9.41.:s0155:

P.S. Now I have a quicker way to find the various sections of Washington gun laws.:s0112: If only finding federal gun laws was that easy.

You are right. I did not follow your link. I have read RCW 9.41 many times before and did not feel like a refresher at that time. I read title/label of your link and made a not unreasonable assumption that since it said "Chapter 9.41 RCW" that was all it linked to.

I don't want to fight with you. I just want to make sure that people are aware of the gun laws and that they are in more places than just RCW 9.41. Your link does lead to more than just RCW 9.41.:s0155:

P.S. Now I have a quicker way to find the various sections of Washington gun laws.:s0112: If only finding federal gun laws was that easy.

Sorry that did come off as me being a jerk. Please forgive my 1am typing :s0164:

Now I know that in Alaska you have to declare you have your concealed pistol with you in the car AS SOON as the officer makes contact with you. Although I believe this is due to Alaska not requiring a CPL to conceal.

Is this the same way with WA state? I don't want to have my handgun confiscated because I didn't let the officer know right away that I have a CP in the car with me. (I'm referring to that Alaska State Troopers episode where this happens)

You have no obligation to advise, but you should not surprise a cop either if you have to step out of the car.

It's all in my book WASHINGTON STATE GUN RIGHTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES..

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top