1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. The lucky winners of the NWFA Fall Giveaway 2016 have been announced!
    Dismiss Notice

Legal Loophole To Upcoming Federal Background Checks???

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by 1stklass, Apr 9, 2013.

1. 1stklass

1stklass salem oregon Well-Known Member

Two senators -- Joe Manchin, a West Virginia Democrat, and Pat Toomey, a Republican from Pennsylvania, are working on a possible bipartisan compromise on background checks. The plan would allow close friends and family to be excluded from those background checks if they are selling or trading guns to each other.

Clock Ticking on Gun Control Debate Amid Threat of Filibuster

You are all my very closest friends now!!!! :thumbup:
  2. mosinguy1

mosinguy1 out by the ocean Active Member

I hope they can get it in. WITHOUT a bunch of if's, or's and's or but's in it!!!!!!! I just wish the lawmakers would practice the K.I.S.S method.
    1stklass and (deleted member) like this.
  3. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Why do people call it a "loophole" when a law is written allowing them to do something? A "loophole" is an unintended consequence of a law.
  4. civilian75

civilian75 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

ID they succeed, it will not be much of a game changer for us. Instead of being a state law, it would be federal. That is, unless I am missing something...

I think the catch is what is defined as a close friend and if we have to somehow prove how close we are. My guess is: 1) this is going nowhere, because it will be unenforceable. 2) This is a tactic by the senators disguised as a "goodwill" gesture by Manchin and Toomey, just so they could say we tried to meet halfway but the left would not budge. I hope it works.

Not an inch!