JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
No dude, it's a HORRIBLE bullet as the things have a RAD count, and over time the repeated exposure will cause a 3rd testicle to form, and your future kids will be born w/o knuckles, have reptillian faces, and will only say, "gooney-goo-goo".

Don't you know? Radiation turns you into a super hero!

...or a super villain, mwa ha ha ha!:s0114:

There's a few websites selling the "accelerator" sabots (polygunbags is where I ordered mine from). I've loaded them for .30-06 and 7.5mas, and didn't shoot anything other than pop cans at very close range, so I can't say how accurate or effective they are. I do know that you could get the same velocities with an actual 22 caliber gun with a LOT less powder though, so I won't be buying anymore most likely.

I don't think I've seen any AP in .308 either, but the last Portland gun show I went to had a dude selling .30-06 "black tip" bullets for $1 each, which is a lot more than I'd pay.

I think the black tips are probably way too long to load in a .308 case though.

Last year I got a box of several hundred for little more than ball ammo prices from Pat's Reloading. He is out now. Load data for the 308 is available on Army Ammuntion Data Sheets Small Caliber Ammunition FSC 1305. No big deal about it at all.

The M61 AP is 1.28" long, the M59 ball is the same shape and length. The M80 ball is 1.14" long, or about 1/8th inch shorter.

Ranb

Shooting out of what?

My 91/30. For some reason my PSL just won't sling it the same. Though I've gotten through .38in plates consistently the .6 is a 'at the right angle with a prayer behind it' shot.

From what I understand an AP round is basically a carbide slug bedded in copper with the tip protruding. The x54 is just your basic steel in copper, not meant to be an armour defeater of any scrub. Also; the AP function of small arms isn't to disable the vehicle, but to penetrate the armour and have the projectile fragment and rip up the innards of what it hits, i.e. APCs/transports. Against a soft target you're just wasting powder, a .308 is going to put you on the ground for a bit even if it's stopped by your plates.

No dude, it's a HORRIBLE bullet as the things have a RAD count, and over time the repeated exposure will cause a 3rd testicle to form, and your future kids will be born w/o knuckles, have reptillian faces, and will only say, "gooney-goo-goo".

And now we know where our house speaker Polosky came from, all that caly RAD.:D

The following site still offers them. Whether they have them or not is questionable.

<broken link removed>

Antigunners will try to void all ammo if possible,but most current restrictions are upon dealers and importers. Ammo purchased before any ban is usually not effected by individuals and I am aware of no ban on this type of ammo under batf rules. If hard to come by, it is more likely that it wasn't worth the cost/sales to keep producing. If you want to load your own, sabots are still available.

Google "sabot."

Personally, if I want an accurate varmint load I will get a cartridge and gun made for it. Trying to turn a large bore into a varmint gun with this technology is a waste of time and $.

Accelerator and their ilk are simply sabot based cartridges. You'll find these
made for many popular, large bore calibers. Sabots are easily sourced from
reloading supply vendors.

M855 steel penatrators do a pretty good job of getting through plate steel though. Alot better than your average FMJ. Have you ever compared the 2 against plate steel? I'm not familiar with plate armor ratings and never seen how well the M855 performs against real armor plates but I've shot them at some very thick steel plates and even cast iron to find it penetrated all the way through every time where as the standard 55gr fmj wouldn't make much more than 1/8th to 1/4" penatration.
Does any1 have a link to data/tests on M855 vs 'real' plate armor? I was always under the impression these bullets were made specificaly to penatrate steal armor plates...I guess I was wrong ...again

M855 steel penatrators do a pretty good job of getting through plate steel though. Alot better than your average FMJ. Have you ever compared the 2 against plate steel? I'm not familiar with plate armor ratings and never seen how well the M855 performs against real armor plates but I've shot them at some very thick steel plates and even cast iron to find it penetrated all the way through every time where as the standard 55gr fmj wouldn't make much more than 1/8th to 1/4" penatration.
Does any1 have a link to data/tests on M855 vs 'real' plate armor? I was always under the impression these bullets were made specificaly to penatrate steal armor plates...I guess I was wrong ...again

M855/SS109 will penetrate some crappy russian plates iirc and all soft armor of course, but not NIJ level III or above certified steel or ceramic plates. Since M995 was designed mostly for shooting at vehicles I guess it was decided that M855 penetrates light vehicles sufficiently and they'd rather keep the fragmentation. M995 really has piss poor terminal ballistics, pretty much *all* it is good at is piercing armor.

ok thanks for the 411. What other bullets have as good or better 'metal' penatration as a M855/SS109 and still fragment properly? Is that Hornaday Tap listed above the cats meow or what?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top