JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
yesterday i went to shoot my new bushmaster AR carbon 15. from 20 rds shot 3 casings hit my right cheek.
i've read and googled.... read from learning to shoot right handed to AR's brass deflectors work flawlessly. not the bushmaster i was shooting, and it does have fwd assist, dust cover and brass deflector by the ejection port.

any ideas how i can improve this situation?

yesterday i went to shoot my new bushmaster AR carbon 15. from 20 rds shot 3 casings hit my right cheek.
i've read and googled.... read from learning to shoot right handed to AR's brass deflectors work flawlessly. not the bushmaster i was shooting, and it does have fwd assist, dust cover and brass deflector by the ejection port.

any ideas how i can improve this situation?
Get at Stag left ejecting upper.

While the easiest route is to get a left handed upper, it's not the only answer. The diagram I posted should help, but I'm curious to know where you got your Bushmaster. You say it's new, but is it actual new, or just new to you? Were any modifications done to it before you got it?

Since it seems to be short stroking according to the diagram, I'd start with checking your gas block and gas tube. Make sure gas block is staked and hasn't shifted at all. For the gas tube, check to make sure it hasn't backed out of the gas block any. If those check out, move to the least expensive and look into getting a new buffer and buffer spring. Just make sure you have the correct ones base on your rifle configuration...A2 stock vs collapsible stock (M4).

Then again, it might also have something to do with the Carbon 15 composite material. While I've heard of composite lowers, I haven't heard of composite uppers...

If all else fails, take it to a gunsmith.

Great suggestions. i will start by checking the gas system. and move onto the buffer spring as suggested.

the rifle is actually brand new. the 20 shots with the 3 casigns to the cheek were the first rounds the AR ever had. which now makes me think. could this be a breaking in period issue?

no major mods to the rifle except a magpul stock, changed to a hogue grip, and a magpul handguard.

so I had some free time amd checked the buffer tube. the ring was pretty lose. not sure how tight it should be or if I should put lock tite on it.

I'm not sure either. Go to Brownell's website and look for the "How To" videos on assembling an AR...it should help. If that doesn't work, call Bushmaster's customer service and see what they can do for you. Good luck.

so I had some free time amd checked the buffer tube. the ring was pretty lose. not sure how tight it should be or if I should put lock tite on it.

The rear ring that holds the buffer tube on the receiver? It should go on as tight as possible. Lock Tite is OK to put on, but I recommend what the military does (they stamp it on with a hammer and punch).

How do I torque the buffer tube? - AR15.Com Archive

It will need some time to break in also...I would lay odds that it will get better in a couple hundred rounds.

....and this lefty doesn't believe in "lefty uppers" either....

UPDATE: so i bought the extractor upgrade, seemed like the cheapest 1st step. ran 30 rds and all the casings just fly to the right no problems, i also got a brass deflector since it seemed like a cheap 2nd fix. It all works great.
so now i have an AR that ejects the empty casings like a mad man and piles them all up nicely.

thanks everyone for their suggestions and help.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top