Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Lefty AK???

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by OEDub, Jan 23, 2010.

1. OEDub

OEDub SW OR Coast Active Member

So, I know that Stag makes a left-handed specific AR, but I cannot (for the life of me) find anything similar for the AK platform. Does anybody out there know of a left-hand specific AK?? Is there any other solution besides just dealing w/ a right-side brass eject? I have poor focusing ability in my right eye, so shooting lefty is my only viable option.

2. raftman

raftman Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I've seen ads for modifications/accessories that allow you to have a charging handle on the other side of the AK, but haven't seen any variant that ejects brass to the left.

I am left-handed, and shoot that way all the time, including my AK. In fact, I feel extremely uncomfortable just holding a rifle as a right-handed shooter would. From my experience, there's really no problem shooting a typical AK left-handed. It seems to throw spent casings into a pretty consistent direction and it throws it a good distance clear of the shooter so you don't have to worry about being hit by your brass.

3. spectra

spectra The Couve Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

Yes the AKs are great for leftys. I just shot mine today and had no problems at all:thumbup: I have not seen a lefty version either. The AK is a its not broke dont fix it gun.

4. pogi

pogi Gresham, OR Active Member

There are bolt carriers and top covers fabricated for left handed shooters. I haven't seen any around for a couple of months though. Last place I saw some was on AKfiles.com.

5. wayoutwest

wayoutwest Polk County, Oregon Active Member

I have never seen or even heard of a "true" left handed AK, as the other posters stated there are top covers and bolt carriers that have been built for charging with the left hand but that is it.....If you have skills you could modify your own bolt carrier.

resources-wsb-488x318-anthonynavarrogettingreadytoruntheaklightningbolt-tm.jpg

6. wayoutwest

wayoutwest Polk County, Oregon Active Member

7. elsullo

elsullo Portland Oregon New Member

I always note that old Al Quaida propaganda video clip of Osama squating down to take a token shot with a LEFT-HANDED AK47. He grins, fondles the rifle with admiration, and flips the left side safety up. All the goons around him are beaming with happiness---did they just give him a custom-made lefty AK?

Or is the video reversed somehow---is that even possible?..................elsullo :huh:

8. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

I'm no lefty, But I'd still own one of the TRUE Left Side AKM's purely because its an AK. :)

9. Unka-Boo

Unka-Boo Milwaukie Active Member

Well, as a lefty who's owned multiple AK's, I think they are better suited to being left handed in their stock form. If you look at all the ones that have the charging handles moved, it's so a right-handed person can charge it without dropping it off the shoulder. As a lefty, it's set up that way from the factory...;)

IMG_6499Medium.jpg

ak0305.jpg

10. raftman

raftman Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I'm pretty sure it's possible. As to why that would be done, I dunno... maybe they did it by mistake.

11. NorthernBornRebel

NorthernBornRebel Keizer Member

As a left handed shooter, I find the AKs easier to manipulate the controls than on an AR or any other common rifle for that matter. I love my AKs. I wouldn't have them any other way.

12. NoAim

NoAim Hillsboro, OR Active Member

As a right handled shooter, I agree.