JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Watching ... my daughter shoots off her left shoulder!

So do I and have zero problem using a standard AR upper, I can run a standard AR effectively left handed using a left handed manual of arms but prefer to up grade to ambi-controls and use a near mirror manual of arms as one would right-handed.

As to the OP, I can't see how it would work, the forward assist notches would be on the wrong side and the cam path would be mirrored.

I found them. If you want me to dig through the web, finding someone who made those was a bear. I got some and they work. They also work on 50 beowulf. Tromix usually has lefty bolt carriers for sale. Stag also has complete lefty .223 bcgs.. Then you find the bolt. Then assemble and you are good.

I have done this and for me it is worth it, but it is custom parts for the bolt. IIRC it was $80 for the bolt alone per piece. It is not as cheap as standard. I have scars from where a .223 came out and seared to my arm. I like lefty uppers.

Can I use a left handed bolt on a regular bolt carrier, or a left bolt in a regular bolt carrier and left handed upper?

I am not familiar with the GIBBZ left eject side charger. I think they use a proprietary carrier tough so you may want to ask them directly.

Anything else you will need a left handed bolt and a left handed carrier and left handed upper receiver. All the parts you are looking for exist. I built a lefty 6.8 spc and later found the parts for lefty 6.5 grendel and considered building one. Just google it you will find what you need. If you already have a left handed carrier and receiver all you will need to go lefty is the bolt. Depending on the type of grendel you are building you may be able to use a 7.62x39 lefty bolt for a type 1 grendel .264 LBC but research it first to make sure you have the right bolt to the right barrel

If anyone is building them in the DPMS style southpaw upper then just the bolt and receiver I have even taken right handed receivers and welded the ejection port closed and cut open an ejection port on the other side to make a left handed 5.45x39 using a modified DPMS Southpaw bolt. But I think all the current left handed models are using the Stag arms design now.

Last Edited:
Google it there are actually a few companies that make them Maxim Firearms, Underground tactical, I think they are just 7.62x39 bolts sold as 6.5 grendel's Type 1. I think even BCA sold them or did for a while.

Last Edited:
They are not the same as 7.62x39! If my research is correct most barrels are produced for the deeper type 2 bolt and use of a 7.62x39 will come up short and might result in an OOB detonation with the wrong confluence of events. The depth of the bolt is different. I believe mine are Maxim. They work well.

Yes you can

I am not familiar with the GIBBZ left eject side charger. I think they use a proprietary carrier tough so you may want to ask them directly. I would need to know if the cam pin cut is made for a left handed carrier or right handed carrier this is visually obvious. But from what I know about lefty uppers which I know quite a bit about since owning a dpms southpaw in 2001 and then moving up to a stag when they introduced then.

You will need a left handed bolt and a left handed carrier and left handed upper receiver. All the parts you are looking for exist. I built a lefty 6.8 spc and later found the parts for lefty 6.5 grendel and considered building one. Just google it you will find what you need. If you already have a left handed carrier and receiver all you will need to go lefty is the bolt. Depending on the type of grendel you are building you may be able to use a 7.62x39 lefty bolt for a type 1 grendel

If anyone is building them in the DPMS style southpaw upper then just the bolt and receiver I have even taken right handed receivers and welded the ejection port closed and cut open an ejection port on the other side to make a left handed 5.45x39 but I think all the left handed models are using the Stag arms design now.

I'm lost, the OP asks if he "use a left handed bolt in a regular bolt carrier", you say "Yes you can" then you say "You will need a left handed bolt and a left handed carrier and left handed upper receiver." Am I missing something? :s0092:

I'm lost, the OP asks if he "use a left handed bolt in a regular bolt carrier", you say "Yes you can" then you say "You will need a left handed bolt and a left handed carrier and left handed upper receiver." Am I missing something? :s0092:

Where did I say he can? that is only if he uses a DPMS Style southpaw receiver that are no longer made unless another company started making them or if Gibbz receivers use the DPMS style or uses a proprietary carrier that allows that. Most every company I see making left handed uppers use the Stag Arms design which requires left handed bolt AND carrier

Where did I say he can? that is only if he uses a DPMS Style southpaw receiver that are no longer made unless another company started making them or if Gibbz receivers use the DPMS style. Most every company I see making left handed uppers use the Stag Arms design which requires left handed bolt AND carrier

At the top of your post, you said "Yes you can"

GIBBZ makes a non-reciprocating side charger that they say works with most Mil-Spec BCGs. In my case I'm going to get the left discharge so I can charge it without changing my shooting position very much and easier to do if you have a scope. The cam pin needs to be changed out, Gibbz says otherwise damage will occur to the upper. GIBBZ ARMS – Innovation in Firearms
Getting back to my original question, do I then need to have a left handed bolt carrier or can I just put a left handed bolt on a "normal" bolt carrier?

IMG_9402-600x533.jpg G4-CP-01.jpg

GIBBZ makes a non-reciprocating side charger that they say works with most Mil-Spec BCGs. In my case I'm going to get the left discharge so I can charge it without changing my shooting position very much and easier to do if you have a scope. The cam pin needs to be changed out, Gibbz says otherwise damage will occur to the upper. GIBBZ ARMS – Innovation in Firearms
Getting back to my original question, do I then need to have a left handed bolt carrier or can I just put a left handed bolt on a "normal" bolt carrier?

View attachment 724509 View attachment 724510

As I stated above, you CAN NOT use left handed bolt on a "normal" bolt carrier. Notice the cam pin slot orientation in the top view of the drawing below, a LH BCG would have a mirrored slot.

RXzCbmK.jpg

I think that is an answer that you will have to get from GIBBZ. I posted my experience with both the STAG and DPMS styles the only 2 styles of lefty receivers I know of. Maybe someone else here has run a lefty GIBBZ but I think most lefties run the STAG style.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top