JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I thought I would put this topic in here. My wife is looking for a left handed shotgun. She has never shot a shotgun or any long gun. So the question is what are the advantage or disadvantage to shooting the oposite side. I have this thread in wtbwa aswell so if you have one please reply to that thread. This is just a info gathering for my wife.

The main use of this shotgun is going to be a little of everything. She would like to get into hunting with me and I hunt turkey and pheasant. I shoot trap sometimes. I use a older Mossberg 500. She claims the mossberg is to heavy. I had her pick up a 870 and she said that was ok as far as weight goes. I think a turkey gun with a shorter barrel may be what I need to get her so she fills more comfortable with length and weight.

The main use of this shotgun is going to be a little of everything. She would like to get into hunting with me and I hunt turkey and pheasant. I shoot trap sometimes. I use a older Mossberg 500. She claims the mossberg is to heavy. I had her pick up a 870 and she said that was ok as far as weight goes. I think a turkey gun with a shorter barrel may be what I need to get her so she fills more comfortable with length and weight.

:huh:

870 should be heavier than a 500...steel receiver vs. aluminum.

Being a lefty....I prefer the Mossberg safety over the Remington ( easier to use the thumb up top on the mossy vs. the remmie's "backwards" button )

I've never been bothered by the action being on the right side myself, but I can see going to a bottom ejecting gun if she doesn't like empty shells flying past her face.

As far as a dedicated "left handed" gun...I give them a collective "Meh".

Although, I would like to get e lefty bolt gun one day.....maybe....:)

Remington made the 870 Wingmaster in left handed versions for a few years and are currently making the Express in left handed.

The biggest advantage for me is the left handed safety, a side benefit is the left side ejection port. It's nice when you are just dropping single shots in at a trap range.

<broken link removed>

I am left-handed too. I had a Remington 870 and have shot a Remington 1100 auto, and neither gave any issue with ejected hulls when shooting left-handed.

BUT, the right-handed cross-bolt trigger guard safety was a REAL pain in the butt, forcing a total grip shift every time! For a lefty, I would not buy either......................elsullo

I'm a lefty too, and I really like my BPS. The bottom eject and tang safety make it a truly ambi. gun, but with a 28" barrel the stalker weighs more than 8 pounds. For upland birds and trap, I'd recommend a small o/u or sxs. I've got a 20 guage cz redhead with a 26" barrel, and it weighs just over 6.5 pounds. But the 12 weighs about a pound more, so you don't gain much weight-wise. Depending on her size, you could even consider one of the youth models with a shorter LOP.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top