Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $1,000 in prizes this month in the Northwest Firearms Winter Giveaway!
    Dismiss Notice

Left handed AR15 options, cheaper the betterwith

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by jluck, Nov 5, 2015.

1. jluck

jluck Really,Really, Close to Newport Oregon 97365 Voted #1 Member

IS there any good economical left hand AR15 uppers or receivers out there? I've looked at a few various ones but yet to see something that really lifts my kilt. I want to build a AR for my dad without spending a bunch of money. Ideas?

2. PDXSparky

PDXSparky Keizer / Hillsboro Well-Known Member

Stag Arms is the only lefty upper that I know about. Rock River Arms also makes a lefty rifle, but they don't sell the upper by itself.

I bought a Stag lefty upper for my son. He put it on a Spikes Punisher lower and it works fine for him.

Stomper likes this.
  3. IheartSig

IheartSig Beaverton Diamond Supporter Diamond Supporter

I have 2 Stag Arms LH uppers, I love them. They are worth the price. There is another company , Redx? I think? or something like that, that also make LH uppers but I cannot comment on their quality.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
    Stomper likes this.
  4. IheartSig

+1 on this. I have ambi everything on my lowers as a lefty. I will say it IS nice not having the shells / gas blowback right in your face when using a left handed upper. But in reality, with the ambi features available it isn't totally necessary / worth the cost to get a LH upper if you are looking to go cost effective.

5. jluck

Does a AR not inherently throw brass right in your face when shooting a conventional upper left shouldered? I've never tried.

6. IheartSig

I wouldn't say "right in your face", but you are certainly prone to more hot brass down your shirt, winging off your eye pro, gasses / debris (dirty burning ammo etc) being ejected in your face. I just got used to it in the service, but once I tried an actual left handed upper, I was sold.

7. jluck

Copy, I think I should go ahead with the Lefty upper. I see Rainer arms has nice one too for comparable money. Still going to be expensive project to just give away....

8. slimer13

slimer13 Deer Park Well-Known Member

First we have to cater to Transgender people, now leftys? What's next gingers?

9. spectra

spectra The Couve Moderator Staff Member

Being a lefty my self I did the Stag upper and it was great. I di like the fact I could toss brass to the guy on my left at the range :D But in the end I did sell it as I was not going to purchase many more as the AR is like Legos and you need a few.......

I am with IheartSig I just put ambi everything on all my stuff. You can go cheap or spend a bunch but in the end I think the ambi works just fine. I have a suppressed upper and no gas issues and brass goes at 3 oclock so not even close to hitting me.

Good luck on the build!

10. jluck

I gotta keep it cheap. It's the only way my old man will end up with a AR while a guy can build them cheap. I can't justify a 1500 dollar ar that will get used by him twice a year.

11. Capn Jack

Capn Jack Wet-Stern Washington Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Not a Lefty, but as a Righty, I don't like letting go of the pistol grip, while trying to reach under a scope.:confused: I found an extended operating handle was just the ticket. All I have to do is slap it with my left hand.:p

12. IheartSig

Just go for the ambidextrous controls then. If he isn't shooting weekly it wont matter. Ambi safety, mag release etc.

spectra likes this.