Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Lee TAPER crimp die

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Silver02ex, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Silver02ex

Silver02ex Hillsboro, OR Member

I plan on picking up the Lee taper crimp die for my 9MM and 45 ACP since I've been loading lead, and moving up to a Dillion 550B from a Lee single stage. I have no problem using the seating die to crimp since I'm doing it 2 different steps with the same die. Seating it, then backing off the seating stem, then adjust the body to crimp. However I can't do this on the 550B. So I plan on picking up the taper crimp die. I will not use the Carbide factory crimp die with lead bullets. Looking at the description of the taper crimp die from lee, it says:

"Jacketed bullets must have a crimp groove. "

Why would this matter since I'm not doing a roll crimp, only a taper crimp?

The full description:

Taper Crimp Die

The Lee Taper Crimp Die is hardened steel designed to overcome crimp problems caused by poor die design. These dies offer little or no advantage when used with 1986 or newer Lee Dies as the crimp angle is already a modified taper crimp. Jacketed bullets must have a crimp groove.

Click on the below calibers to view product description.

CALIBER CALIBER
    32 S&W Long 44 MAGNUM
    32 H&R MAGNUM 45 COLT
    9MM LUGER 45 ACP or 45 AUTO RIM
    38 SUPER AND 38 ACP 455 WEBLEY MARK 2
    38 SPECIAL 45 WIN MAG
    357 MAGNUM 454 CASULL
    10mm AUTO or 40 S&W
    44 SPECIAL

2. Capn Jack

Capn Jack Wet-Stern Washington Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I use one on everything, lead or jacketed. A roll crimp shortens case life and you will soon start seeing case lip cracks. Just be careful you're not set too tight. A chamber gauge die should be
    used to check all semi-auto rounds.
    Remember, a stuck case could ruin your day, or your life.:paranoid:

Jack...:cool:

3. MarkAd

MarkAd Port Orchard Well-Known Member

The taper crimp is used to remove the rest of the expansion of the case mouth made by the expander die. It also smooths the taper made by the seating die. When you using the taper crimp die you should fell a very slight resistance when the die completes the taper.
    The roll crimp is normally used on revolver and tube feed rounds such as a 357 or 30-30. This is where the crimp groove comes into play. The crimp groove also the roll crimp to grip the bullet without cutting into the surface of the bullet and also maintain the smooth transition along the bullet side to the case allowing smoother chambering.

Like Jack I use taper crimp on everything I run from a stack type mag, like the 40 or 45 ACP. If it is revolver or tube fed I use roll crimp to provide extra griping of the bullet and prevent possible set back of the bullet.

Use the crimp die. Once it is setup right iit make a better finished round.

4. deadshot2

deadshot2 NW Quadrant WA State Well-Known Member

Lee's instructions are notorious for being "one size fits all". They make one page for the Factory Crimp Die and it includes instructions for both roll and taper crimps.

To set the crimp I've found it best to just use a set of calipers. Bullet Diameter plus twice the measured thickness of the case is a good finished setting. Example for 9mm would be a .356 bullet plus two times the thickness of the case (measured at case mouth) which averages .010" would yield a final measurement of .376". Measure this at the absolute front of the case as it is "tapered".

All that's needed is enough "squeeze" to put the case wall back against the bullet after it was "belled" in order to seat the bullet. Any more can damage the bullet, cause the case to not headspace properly (on extractor rather than front of chamber) and may lead to misfires in extreme cases.

5. Silver02ex

Silver02ex Hillsboro, OR Member

Thanks guys, I have a good understanding of taper crimp vs roll crimp, and when to use each one since I load for 9mm, 40 S&W 45, and 44 Magnum. I was just confuse with Lee's instuction since they are talking about a taper crimp die but mention a crimp grove which is used in a roll crimp. They shouldn't even mention anything about a crimp grove when talking about a taper die.

6. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

I don't need to add a thing... ^this^

7. OHshoot!

OHshoot! Bellingham Member

I use the Lee factory crimp dies in 9mm and 45acp with great results. I save the crimping with the Lee factory die for the last step. I just do 1/2 to 2/3 of a turn once the die is touching the brass. Not too tight with 45acp! I found a medium to light crimp yields best accuracy. Perfect loads everytime. I even run my Self defense rounds through it now just to make sure they are sized correctly. I have run thousands of bullets this way with excellent results. It is easy to use with a little practice.