JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Have been casting 1oz lee 12ga slugs and having a ton of fun launching them from my Mossy500. Wondering if anyone here has shot them using a rifled choke tube? Wondering if it would tighten my groups enough to make it worth the expense of threading my 20" barrel and purchasing the choke?

I'm wondering how much it would cost to thread the barrel and buy chokes ? as opposed to just buying a slugster barrel w/iron sights? I have a Mossy 500 in 20 ga w/a 26" barrel (mod choke), that I used with Remington Suggers and got 2"-3" @ 50 yds and 3"-4" @ 80 yds (2" drop), 100 yards had too much drop as the the barrel only had a bead sight and Kentucky windage covers up my target. :eek:

I'm looking at around a hun to do this, unless I go for the 6" extended choke which is about $80 by itself. Still cheaper than a factory rifled barrel.
Yeah, factory slugs pattern really well from a smooth bore. But these lees can tend to shoot like a musket. Last time out, three rounds, 50yds, first two each took out a milk jug, standing, offhand. Third round, not even in the same county! I have seen a 5ft spread at 50yds from the benchrest, and the next set will all be on paper. Just wondering if anyone has shot lee 12ga keydrive slugs from a rifled rig?

I did shoot some through a rifled barrel some year ago, accuracy was much improved. I mostly consider the lee slugs a novelty, I mostly shoot them at large pumpkins, I've also been getting pretty good at skipping them off the ground.

Honestly, I would suggest just picking up a used slug barrel on gunbroker.

Thanks for the "lesson" certaindeaf. Know how to "bench proof". I also know how to shoot quite accurately off hand. Again, just looking for INPUT ON PERFORMANCE OF LEE SLUGS FROM A RIRLED CHOKE TUBE.
Thanks for you input AMP. Much appreciated.

Yea, you're welcome. I'd more think your benched 5' @50yd groups are due to the load and not the slug.. are you shooting over a chronograph?