Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

LEE lead hardness tester

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Benchrest, Feb 15, 2015.

1. Benchrest

Benchrest The Desert Planet Well-Known Member

Just started casting my own boolits, and of course the question of "how hard is the alloy" arrived.

I choose LEE's kit - having read that it was both fairly accurate, and a pain in the arse to use.

Yes, it's a total pain the in arse! Keep the bullet still, hold the light just right, and fight the microscope - 10 power, so every movement is amplified by same amount, and the bloody image is reversed!

So I kludged together this:

lee1_zpsxwdpqkhg.jpg

Ugly... But it works incredibly well! Used a case (No, that's not a live primer ;) ) to hold the bullet (so I could spin it into view) and the V-block that came with the kit to hold that assembly in place.

Getting an image with a cell phone proved to be difficult - had to turn the flashlight off.

lee2_zpsx1clsq4f.jpg

Take a reading, look up Pmax on the supplied chart, load accordingly, and off to the range!

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
    OreShooter and Certaindeaf like this.
  2. evltwn

evltwn Gold Hill Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I use a "hobbyist" microscope with the Lee scope rubberbanded to it. Just raise or lower the scope to focus. A light source directed on the slide platform works well. Not a pain to use at all.

3. Benchrest

As designed I would argue that it is. Your 'solution' suggests you agree with me ;)

:D

4. Benchrest

LHT_zpsgzdqje4r.jpg

5. evltwn

evltwn Gold Hill Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

My 66year old shaky, arthritic hands are problem, actually. At the price point it sells at, its pretty good.

6. Benchrest

Agreed.

evltwn likes this.