Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Lee Enfield No4mk1/2 bolt head #3

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Gunsmithing' started by Scot4ever, Nov 12, 2015.

1. Scot4ever

Scot4ever Newberg New Member

I'm trying to find anywhere/anyone who might have an SMLE no4mk1/2 bolt head #3 for sale. I bought a new to me SMLE last week and the head space is a little loose (haven't tested it with a field gauge yet, still waiting for my Okie gauges to arrive).
    It's got a #2 bolt head currently installed. I can find #0, #1 and #2 just about everywhere but a #3...nope.

orygun likes this.
  2. LX Kid

LX Kid W. Central Florida New Member

Have you shot it yet to observe a spent cartridge to see if there is any shoulder movement on the cartridge. Try adding a piece of scotch tape, .002", on the end of a cartridge one at a time until it seems tight and match that to headspacing specs. .303 ammo was made by so many mfg.'s that they allowed for a large range of changes in those mfg.'s. There is a lot to know about .303 headspacing. #3 heads are hard to find but they are out there. At one time I had a #4 and let it slip thru my hands years ago. A good gunsmith can build a bolt head up to bring headspace into specs.

3. LX Kid

LX Kid W. Central Florida New Member

This may help when measuring the bolt head. Just the head not including the screw portion.

It seems to be generally accepted that No4 / No5 bolt heads should fall in the following range :
    Size 0 = 0.620” – 0.625”
    Size 1 = 0.625” – 0.630”
    Size 2 = 0.630” – 0.635”
    Size 3 = 0.635” – 0.640”

Field Guage .070" Original Factory Field Guage .074
    (For your info SMLE's were early turn of the century Enfields. Small Magazine Lee Enfield, hence S.M.L.E. If yours is a No. 4 it's generally just called an Enfield No.4 Mk 1/2.)

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
  4. CLT65

CLT65 Yamhill County Active Member

I have several 0s and 1s in my old box of parts and pieces, but you're right- anything bigger seems scarce as hen's teeth.

I was lucky to find a size 3. My rifle had some brass separation issues, and misfired badly with some old surplus I had. The tighter headspace dramatically improved both of those problems.

5. Scot4ever

Scot4ever Newberg New Member

I managed to find one in the UK. Cost me $90, but that's the only place I've come across that had them. It's a company called Valmont Firearms. I got hold of a no go and a field gauge from oki gauges and the original #2 bolt head was partially closing on the field gauge. I also came across an unused original bolt for sal which when paired up with the #2 bolt head passes the no go gauge test. Looks like a lot of the problem was also wear on the locking lugs of the original bolt. Fires like a champ now.
    It's not going to be an every day shooter so I think I'm good now.