JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Heres my dilemma...

Got all set up with my new turret press and have been churning out pistol rounds like crazy.... BUT now that I am going to start on rifle......

Looks like in order to use the turret press with the auto disk measure, Ill need the charging die..

SO, anyone else use this? Specifically for .223?

There is a long and short die. The description for the short is for cases up to .223 and the long says sizes .223 and larger...
Am I reading that as 223 can be loaded using either the long or short die?

Moving on ...

30-06 on the turret press with autodisk.

I have read some complaints about this setup for 30-06... but they were all comments for those looking to load full power rounds and the dispenser not making it.

Im only looking to load for my Garand and will be pushing about 40-43 grains of 4064... but no one has written about their experiences with that.

Wondering if anyone else has?

Trying to find others' experience before dropping the coin on the long charging die and double disk kit... Dont want to bother if Im going to have to stick with the single stage for those.

Thanks!

A:
Yes, use the short rifle charging die

B:
30-06 uses a lot of powder. At some point that volume will create a bridge and all powder won't drop fully until you rotate the station or move the case down. At that point you'll have 50gr+ of powder across your bench. Don't ask how I know. Use a powder thrower for bulk loads not the auto disc.

C:
Follow the above advice and put a funnel on top of the large rifle charger and run the -06 die up to contact and dump powder in. Look down, all clear then lower case.

I'd stick with single stage for large rifle. I do and I have all sorts of bells and whistles on my bench that I could run them on full progressive.

By all means get the Dillon! I choose the 550 because of the better control (my old brain), but if you're experienced in progressives, get the 650. I bit the bullit after 60-some years loading single stage. Don't wait that long. Now have two 550', one set up for .223 , the other for .221FB & .20VT, for volume sage rats, but have Rock Chucker and Forster Co-Ax for misc. large cals. It's a whole separate enjoyable hobby in itself - besides hunting and shooting. Really a hoot when you get the wildcat bug!

So I just got my Hornady progressive set up and am not in the position to go buy a single stage. So @v0lcom13sn0w came over last weekend and walked me through the ins and outs of reloading 308.

Didn't want to trust the powder dump for accuracy so we did everything in stages basically turning the progressive into a single stage. Started with depriming which went really quick with the progressive. Then put that die away and move to the next step. so on and so on.

You can use your progressive just turn it into a single stage. ;)

You can get a rock chucker or jr. for 50 bucks, seen them on here lately. Just like in shooting, accuracy supersedes volume, in loading, safety supersedes volume. That's why I went with the 550. I'll settle for 300 an hour instead of 600, because you never want to make a mistake. Find the powder that meters best in your dump, and you can't double check with a scale too much. What MOS was 11Charlie?

I do my depriming on the single stage because its so messy. All my (223/5.56, 300BLK) rifle cases are completly ready to get powder, bullets & crimp (if desired) on the turret.The 40S&W gets loaded the same on the Lee Pro1000.

Imperial Sizing Die Wax, applied sparingly with forefinger, and Imperial Dry Neck Lube, just dip neck to shoulder. That's all you need.
I've been using Hornady One Shot...

Only load 30-06 right now, but have noticed cases are tight, requiring a lot of effort to size/deprime.....
I've cracked the wooden desk top the press is mounted on... If not careful I could snap the whole thing right off:eek:

Maybe I need a different lube?

I've experienced this with both commercial brass and HXP

Only load 30-06 right now, but have noticed cases are tight, requiring a lot of effort to size/deprime.....
I've cracked the wooden desk top the press is mounted on... If not careful I could snap the whole thing right off:eek:

Try what I said. I'm a recent convert. Old dog can learn a lot of new tricks on this internet. Also learned about small base dies.

OH god don't force it! Don't ask how I know. Day two of depriming and sizing I had one go in a little tough. STUCK and couldn't get it out. Went and bought a puller broke the bit. :confused::rolleyes: Finally got pissed went into the house and ordered a new die.

The almighty words that someone said to me. Reloading isn't like sex don't force it in!! :p:D

I don't think about annealing here, and don't light any matches.

6F078057-0DFB-4126-B48E-9F462128DDD7.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top