JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have reloaded 7mm rem Mag for my son for 15 years using Nosler 160 gr AccuBonds that group five rounds in 5/8ths inch at 100 yards in his Remington 700.

I decided to load more for this fall's hunting seasons. I sized 40 RP brass including turning to length. Before priming I decided to check for fit in an old Savage 110. The bolt wouldn't close without forcing on most and then, if it closed, wouldn't easily eject. Decided that the chamber was dirty so I really cleaned the action. Still wouldn't chamber brass easily. Checked with some factory ammo which easily chambered and worked as it should.

I actually read the Lee instructions and again tried resizing. Still no improvement. I compared sizes to SAAMI specs and they seem right. Same dies I have used before and they seem right.

Since he lives in the Bend area and I live on the coast I find it hard to try his chamber.

Any ideas? Never been a problem before and I do load many different calibers especially the last four months.

It may very well be it will chamber in your sons rifle if they were fired in it. Mail him a couple, deactivated and have him check.
I had a similar issue with a re chambered 6.5. it seems the first part of the chamber was either shot out, or polished or reworked to a very slightly larger than saami size. I speculated that when fired, the brass expanded in that area to fit the rechambered barrel. Though i used a like new, full length die, I found It did not actually resize all the way to the rim but stopped short about 3/8 of an inch from the rim. (the thick part that does not get annealed.) Visibly, there was no witness to a problem.
Without an optical comparitor, extremely difficult to measure so this is all speculation. The brass worked fine in the rechambered rifle it was shot from but would not chamber in at least one other rifle. (i only had one other available)
Originally I thought that my die might have been creating a little bulge from over pressure when reforming or bullet seating but since other reloaded brass from the same die once fired in another rifle of the same chamber would fit both guns I gave up that line of thinking.
Just a thought.
I might add that I eventually used lamp soot to see marks in the last part of the brass to help my diagnosis.

Some reloading anomalies can drive you nuts, especially when no definitive answer is forthwith.

Last Edited:
Did you clean your dies? 7mm mag headspaces on the belt, but should fire form to the chamber dimensions after the first firing. Savages also generally have very tight headspace. Just my guess. I don't reload 7mm mag.

Can we assume those are full length lee dies? Not neck or collet dies? Do you have any fired cases from the 110 that you can measure headspace before and after sizing? If the length is right then my guess it has to be headspace or base diameter dimensions near the web. Could just be a factory tight chamber too. Hope this helps some.

ihad the same issue but my 7mm wouldn't easley chamber resized brass that I shot out of it. I set my die deeper at 8th inch turns until the shoulder of the case would chamber easier. Try bumping down the shoulders a bit.

I have reloaded 7mm rem Mag for my son for 15 years using Nosler 160 gr AccuBonds that group five rounds in 5/8ths inch at 100 yards in his Remington 700.

I decided to load more for this fall's hunting seasons. I sized 40 RP brass including turning to length. Before priming I decided to check for fit in an old Savage 110. The bolt wouldn't close without forcing on most and then, if it closed, wouldn't easily eject. Decided that the chamber was dirty so I really cleaned the action. Still wouldn't chamber brass easily. Checked with some factory ammo which easily chambered and worked as it should.

I actually read the Lee instructions and again tried resizing. Still no improvement. I compared sizes to SAAMI specs and they seem right. Same dies I have used before and they seem right.

Since he lives in the Bend area and I live on the coast I find it hard to try his chamber.

Any ideas? Never been a problem before and I do load many different calibers especially the last four months.
order one of these and reset dies to correct setting. This will tell you if the brass is good to go before loading and should chamber in any rifle, it looks to be in stock for 7mm also.

Do you have a way to measure brass fired from his chamber (Hornady or simclair tool) that measures base to the datum on the shoulder?

My first thoughts are either the shoulder needs to be bumped back more OR the ogive on those bullets is different from the last batch.

One more thing I just noticed. His is a Remington and yours is a savage. From my personal experience between those two manufacturers, the savage has a shorter/tighter chamber/less leade than the Remington's. So it wouldn't surprise me if it fits in his chamber and not yours.

My reply to all of you who had ideas: I was able to get my son's Remington as he came over here to fish for halibut. The rounds I loaded fit the Rem perfectly but still too tight for the savage. I decided I would have to go the small base die route but I hate having any rounds that won't fit every gun with which I am associated.

I made a chamber reamer our of a rod and progresivly finer sanding paper ending up with crocus cloth. I used candle soot on sized cases until I could chamber the sized rounds. Crude but it worked.

Now to take it to the range and find out if my cure has healed the problem. Thank you every one for your ideas.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews