JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Leather vs Kydex (Pros and Cons)

I am looking to get an idea of what to expect from a Kydex holster. I have read that they don't cause as much wear on firearms. My poor Kimber is starting to show signs of daily carry. Which is to be expected, but I'd like to slow the process down if possible. Please share you experiences and knowledge on holsters.

Thanks!

That was kind of what I thought. Kydex is hard and seems like it would scratch or rub off the bluing. Any thoughts or ideas on something other then leather that works well?

It's a tool.
Pick the holster that best fits your needs.
If the gun starts to rust or something, get it refinished.

Kydex holsters usually have only a few areas of contact, but they are harder contact points than leather and will wear more in those areas. Leather will show more on the slide edges as you drag the gun along the length of the holster during drawstroke and reholster.

x2 on the Tucker Silent Thunder. Super thin leather-lined kydex. I wasted prolly near $175 on holsters before I got this one.

I personally prefer the hybrids. Leather against the skin, Kydex for the gun. The Tucker previously mentioned is an interesting idea. But I really like the "Click" you get with a securely held weapon in Kydex.

I personally prefer the hybrids. Leather against the skin, Kydex for the gun. The Tucker previously mentioned is an interesting idea. But I really like the "Click" you get with a securely held weapon in Kydex.

I have a kydex that 'clicks' but for CC some prefer the quietness of leather--something to consider, esp if you partially draw then have to re-holster. This click can bring attention to yourself or give a position away entirely if you were trying to retreat quietly from a situation.
Again,
just something to consider when laying out big bucks for a quality holster.

I went half-and-half with a Crossbreed.

I went a similar route but with a Comp-Tac MTAC. This is an extremely non-scientific observation: My XD45C shows 4x the wear on the left side where it's against leather as it does on the right where it's against Kydex. I'm a metal fabricator and hardcore off road enthusiast. My gear sees lots of grinding dust, welding smoke, sand, mud, sweat, rain, etc. I consider finish wear a non-issue on a CCW, it just adds character. My poor PPK/S has the worst holster wear of any gun I've ever seen but I carried it daily for 17 years, mostly in a Galco leather IWB.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top