JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think like anything you need to inspect it, and keep it in good order.

Anything can and will fail/wear out.
Best to be proactive

View attachment 584375

The real thin leather holsters are not worth their salt in my opinion. Don't buy them unless you're okay with holstering very carefully. Kydex creates a sense of false security. Many have trapped their shirts in their Kydex when reholstering and had NDs. Any holster needs to be treated with respect when reholstering. Drawing should be smooth and consistent. Reholstering should be done safely. There is no need to rapidly reholstering or do so recklessly. Just my thoughts. My leather is thick, and good ones have additional layers around the opening for rigidity.

Yep, leather holsters are outdated. That said, they are nearly always my favorite.

View attachment 584032 View attachment 584033 View attachment 584034 View attachment 584035 View attachment 584036 View attachment 584037 View attachment 584038 View attachment 584039View attachment 584051
View attachment 584053View attachment 584057

Bottom line...Holster preferences are very personal for a lot of different reasons. I could no more talk a person into or out of a holster type any more than I could talk someone into or out of a Toyota or Buick.

Beautiful guns and holsters!

Cate

I don't like plastic guns and I don't like plastic holsters. I have a couple of each but they're more like the daily driver economy car.
They serve a purpose and that's about all they do.
Wood, metal and leather is alive and can convey its utility, the attention to detail and craftsmanship that no plastic can.

Two Cents Worth: I positively hate kydex.:eek: The kydex holster MAY serve a purpose with the Glocks. Otherwise, cattle-hide holsters do it for me.. I have leather holsters for 1911, Python, Mod 28 Smith that are upwards of 30-35 years old that still work for me..-Safariland and Bianchis- good quality when purchased, still good today. Unlike plastics, leather doesnt crack in the cold weather. I do use nylon or kevlar with flap holsters, which i do like as well. For a holster that rides against my skin, it has GOT to be leather.

don't know if you have been to the WAC Puyallup shows a few years ago. Kramer's wife and friend commanded a table where they hawked blems for something like $25. I love his holsters and have many. I even picked them up at that price to resell at slight markup. I don't think I've seen them in a while though Greg did appear on Ebay a few times
Yep! Bought on for my G19, beautiful, blems and all!

Having been with 4 law enforcement agencies from late 1971 to 2006, I have many holsters. Started with Bianchi 2700, 2800 & Safariland 275 with a SW Mdl 19, then Safariland Mdl 2 for a Cmbt Cmdr, followed with a Hoyt and SW 686, ending with a SW 4006 and Aker 118. Also had OWB & IWB for all. All leather. I do have a kaydex IWB for my Sig SP2022, right hand & left hand (broke my right wrist, so had to shift to the other one. Also have a couple a couple of the nylon type. Never liked them.

I recently bought a two-tone full size 1911. I want to bling it up a little with pearlized grips, and carry it in a nice leather holster. Any recommendations on a good looking, but not too expensive leather holster?

Kydex and leather both have their place. I favor kydex for pistols, especially for AIWB, but you will never ever see me put a revolver in kydex, or a blued gun such as a 1911 or Hi-Power.

Take a look at Mernickle holsters, they're up around Reno, NV somewhere. Good workmanship, good prices and the wait is reasonable.
Store bought, El Paso Saddlery makes some nice tooled barbecue type holsters, but be prepared to wait for most of their stuff.
Triple K is also good, but they tend to be more utilitarian than fancy.

There's a bunch of holster makers for 1911's so if you google it, you'll find them. The same for grips. Ebay is good or there's a zillion grip makers out there on the web.

Steel & wood & leather should be an aftershave.

I recently bought a two-tone full size 1911. I want to bling it up a little with pearlized grips, and carry it in a nice leather holster. Any recommendations on a good looking, but not too expensive leather holster?

1930 "Austin" Holster – El Paso Saddlery

El Paso Sadlery has many fine choices. And the sky is the limit for dressing their holsters up.

elpasosaddlery-1920-tom3.jpg

1930-Austin-Holster.jpg

And another vote for Mernickle Holsters.

MERNICKLE HOLSTERS

fc-567.jpg

PS6-MR-REF2.jpg

And "nice" is in the eye of the beholder. There are many nice holsters by many manufacturers, some less ornamental, but as nice as a shiny pair of boots. DeSantis and Bianchi come to mind, for half-or-less the cost of a more custom or handmade holster.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads