JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've got a nice Tex Shoemaker holster for a 1911 with a thumb break snap. Pretty sure the back of the snap was covered with something that must have fallen off. If I use it as is the back of the snap will scratch up the gun. Any suggestions on what to cover it with to prevent scratching?

Thanks,
Bryan

20200725_111502.jpg

Gorilla tape. It holds to rough leather better than regular duct tape.
There was probably a small, round, sticky-backed felt pad over it (the snap) when it was new but those lose their adhesive over time and you usually have to buy them like, 100 at a time. The Gorilla tape has TONS more uses and a roll will probably last a lifetime..

Sand or scotchbrite it, clean it up really good with alcohol and paint on plastidip repeat as necessary.

EDIT: I also use the paint on electrical tape stuff for things like this.

Last Edited:
Some good ideas. I would clean the heck out of it and apply a felt pad, with E-6000 craft glue to hold it in place. Much more durable than the sticky-back felt pads, and it can soak into the felt, thus creating a more permanent bond.

FYI....
I have two examples of Tex Shoemaker & Sons off duty paddle holsters with the thumb break snaps. They both do not have any sort of "backing" to the snaps.

That being said....I guess....if you wanted too, you could add a backing to the snaps or not.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
FYI....
I have two examples of Tex Shoemaker & Sons off duty paddle holsters with the thumb break snaps. They both do not have any sort of "backing" to the snaps.

That being said....I guess....if you wanted too, you could add a backing to the snaps or not.

Aloha, Mark
I found this holster "new in the bag" at a yard sale a year or two ago. Maybe it had been used briefly and then returned to the bag, but if it had been used there wasn't any real evidence of it. The reason I bring this up is, I don't know if you got yours new or not, but this one had something on that snap that fell off. I don't remember what was on it now. And obviously I want something that lasts a little better.

Bryan

To repair I would -
Cut a disc of leather slightly larger than diameter of the snap back.
'Rough' the high point of the 'ring' with a file or sandpaper.
Apply some Gorilla Glue to the back of the leather disc and place on the snap backing and clamp tightly with a mini 'C' clap with a couple pieces of wood in the jaws to spread out the pressure and wait until dry.
Apply oil to the disc when completed.
Holster gun and test for proper operation!

I'LL TAKE IT!

O... sorry. This wasn't a For Sale ad, was it.

nevermind...

Not for sale. :)

And, yeah....I love mine. BTW, that one is for my S&W 3913.

I also have another, the same sort of paddle holster only made for my S&W M60.

WillaminaOR,

Yes, they were both purchased NEW.

Fact is......
I love the design so much that (since it seems that they are out of business) I want to have the design recreated. Only for my DiamondBack 9mm.

I'm thinking of asking Ted Blocker (of Tigard, OR) if he could do it for me. But, I'm waiting for the coronavirus to calm down.

Aloha, Mark

I've made quite a few leather holsters. What I have always done if I have a snap where it will contact the firearm is line the holster with 2 or 4 ounce leather, but at a minimum take a scrap piece of leather split, it will be a little rough on each side almost like suede, and glue that down over the snap with a piece a little larger than the snap. You'll have a tough time getting fabric to stick to the metal, for very long at least, you want it glued down to the leather around it. I could send you a small piece if you want or if you have a Tandy Leather store close they'll usually have pieces that small that they'd just throw away and would probably give you.

The best glue for leather to leather is contact cement, the little bottles of DAP Welwood you can get at Lowes or Home Depot are fine and many leathermakers use it. Barge Cement is also a popular choice. Spread some on each side to be joined, let it sit a bit to get tacky and then press it down. You only get one shot at it, it will not separate or allow you to reposition. If you dye it to match the inside of the holster you won't even hardly see it. Febrings leather dye is available at the Tandy Leather stores if you have one nearby, or from Amazon.

If you want to go this route and feel comfortable PM'ing an address I'll grab a little piece, dye it black to match and drop it in the mail. Just get some contact cement, trim to fit and you'll have a long lasting solution.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top