JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I know most have a lot pride when it comes to their guns, but I was wondering if any of our members take certain pride in their holsters. I have always taking a real shining when it came to leather holsters. they have always been just a little more flexible and snug in the right places.

I like OWB over IWB, b/c at least the OWB holsters occasionally get to see the light of day.

Here's one of my past favorites.
CIMG7339.jpg
Tucker Pancake.

If anyone can recommend a more comfortable holster, go ahead. I would have to say the tucker pancake was probably one of my most enjoyable holsters ever. A real beaut to match. Galco has never made a holster that I felt like matched the quality of a Tucker.

Crossbreed supertuck is my favorite. Ugly, but extremely solid, comfortable, and concealable. If the borg were a holster, they would be the supertuck. The comfort of leather and the sturdiness of kydex and metal. You will be assimilated. Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

A holster that doesn't cover the trigger doesn't bother you? I guess on a revolver that wouldn't be too big of an issue. But why have a thumb-break holster that doesn't cover the trigger?

No, I guess it doesn't bother me.

Historically, high-ride, thumb-break holsters are designed with uncovered triggers when used with double-action revolvers with an exposed hammer. The hammer, and therefore the trigger, is secured by the thumb-break. The same holster, when designed for a semi-auto pistol or hammerless revolver, will have a covered trigger, generally.

WAYNO.

All my holsters are made by Gordon Davis. He made holsters for some of the westerns in the 70's & 80's, as well as for John Wayne. Due to health reasons he had to give it up, but I pick up one every now and then when I see them.

gdavis.jpg

Here's a rig he made for me just before he retired.

carryrig1.jpg

Historically, high-ride, thumb-break holsters are designed with uncovered triggers when used with double-action revolvers with an exposed hammer. The hammer, and therefore the trigger, is secured by the thumb-break. The same holster, when designed for a semi-auto pistol or hammerless revolver, will have a covered trigger, generally.

WAYNO.

AH! Thank you for that....didn't see a hammer. My thought was that you didn't have to remove the pistol from the holster to be shot by it- hence no need for a retention thumb-break.

if I can stand the 12 week wait and price!

----------------------------------------------------------

The "Trade Rating" is low by 3
Not everyone posts it I guess.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC member
SWWAC member

i don't know what it is about leather holsters, they just rile something deep inside. maybe its the stitch work? maybe its the hand boning details? or maybe the stamp work like on tattoo's... iunno, so sweeeeeet.

i was able to drum up another leather holster pic out of the archives. Little Bear holster. This was my 2nd one. Comfy, but I think I'm gonna have to give alessi or Milt Sparks a try.

CIMG7713.jpg

I have a Little bear holster by Dave Galloway. I had Dave make me a Dark Brown Sharkskin belt and this holster with sharkskin trim. I can wear this holster IWB,OWB, Between the Pants and the Belt, and if I add the tuckable Kydex clips I can make it tuckable.
By the way Dave now has opened a site in Clarks Fork, ID plus the orginal site in Jacksonville, FL
PICT5782 - Copy.jpg

PICT5782 - Copy.jpg

WAYNO.

its nice to learn something new. makes one think why they cover the trigger guard on a hammer fired semi-auto with DA....

The design does solve to an extent the issue of gloves, cord ties, etc. getting into the trigger guard while re-holstering. The flip side is that it does not look very secure when the strap is not latched and re-holstering one handed might take some practice.

PS> My Ritchie Leather is on the Brown Truck as I type. :) Faster turnaround than I expected. I've had holsters from Lou, his Daughter's company, and now Ritchie (Lou's Apprentice and co-maker at one time) so it will be interesting to compare them all.

I have tried a bunch of leather for my commander sized Les Baers and will stick with Milt Sparks IWB. My favorite is the VMII. I also have the Summer Special II which is great in the summer (go figure ; ) I have another VMII and dual-mag pouch on order with Milt Sparks. Went with the black horsehide with sharkskin trim. Again, I have tried quite a few other brands/quality of gunleather but none matched the fit and feel that the Sparks/CMDR combo provided.

Thanks.

DSCN1862.JPG

I picked up a slightly used High Noon Slider from another Forum member last year. Well made holster that I think looks great, too. I can carry this package all day long and often times do. (can't carry at work due to corporate restraints) I'd recommend this holster to anyone looking for an OWB style. I also like this style for two reasons. 1) Since it's open ended it fits Officers thru full size Government models all the same. 2) I like thumb break holsters. I carry this almost everywhere I go, doing everything I do. I'm not too thrilled with the thought of having my gun slide out of the holster.

guns110.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads