JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The Kimbers I have held appear to be great guns - but not so much as to make me want one over say a new Colt which I look at frequently in Sportsman's - and they have excellent fit and finish and are very smooth in operation. My friends new S & W is every bit as good as any Kimber I have seen and the accuracy is phenomenal.

if you really want to stir the pot you can argue a cocked and unlocked 1911 is safer than a glock.

The first Glock I shot was shortly after they hit and that's exactly what I thought of them. Trigger was pretty good and with no safety I said just that. This is worse (to me) than caring my 1911's hammer back and safety off. I figured these were going to be a problem and boy were they ever. Very soon Cops who had always had a wheel gun were handed one of these with far too little training. Lots of red faces when one would touch off a round at the wrong time. Glocks answer, making the trigger much harder seemed wrong to me. They (Glock) still command a huge chunk of the market though so they have plenty of following.

I always see Kimber bashing. I have owned and still own many Kimbers. Clackamas, Yonkers, never had any problems with any of them after a proper break in with a couple boxes of ball.

The "problem" with Kimber is success and competition. They right off the bat came to be known for making a very nice off the shelf 1911. So they soon were making a LOT of 1911's. Problem was now and then QA would slip a little and a few bad ones got out. The old line about a good reputation being hard to get and easy to lose. The few who got a bad one did not feel better knowing everyone else got a good one. With what they paid some became very vocal critics.

Well... I have a FAL handguars that was grinded inside and drilled to have a useless picatinny rail.

I also saw a Steyr FAL barrel at a gun show that was cut down to make a carbine length barrel. It almost made me cry inside. :(

Kinda hard to rationalize this when we ALL own guns that have most likely never been made in Oregon and possibly other countries. Personally I have never owned a Kimber but with all the less expensive stuff (and as good or maybe better) I don't see Kimber as a preeminent 'player' anymore.
My point is that they started here, built up their rep and then laid off all of their employees to start in another state, New York of all places.
Your point is a real reason, and the one that I use to justify not being more interested.
I'm poor lol

My point is that they started here, built up their rep and then laid off all of their employees to start in another state, New York of all places.
Your point is a real reason, and the one that I use to justify not being more interested.
I'm poor lol

This is interesting. I didn't know they went to NY. Sad to hear that, but NYS has been offering businesses tax breaks and other incentives to relocate for awhile now. The kimber's I've owned and or shot have all been great pistols, but I haven't shot a new Kimber in a long time.

Solution- Have every man in the platoon carry a hundred rounds.

Problem was my unit ran "heavy"... three three man teams and a squad leader per squad, three squads per platoon, every team was essentially a mobile M60 crew and we had a total of nine M60's per platoon.

We didn't break down 200rnd cans unless we were going to fire them, so each team member carried a minimum of 200rnds and a maximum of 600rnds in addition to their personal weapons and ammo load-out.

Everyone carried a M1911A1 with 21-35rnds. of .45ACP, the Platoon Sgt, squad leaders, and team leaders carried a M203 with 210rnds of 5.56 and it varied for 203 rounds. Non-M60 gunners and the Platoon Leader carried M16's with 210rnds of 5.56.... so other than the Platoon LDR, PLT SGT, and RTO we were ALL carrying ammo to feed the veritable buzzsaw.

Thank GAWD we never saw MOPP-4 too often!

Last Edited:
Apparently the company traded hands a couple of times and the owner had a manufacturing facility there. They expanded the New York location and shut down production here.

i'm sure they're fine shooting guns, and have some followers. I just think I can get more bang for my buck elsewhere. If I really want to shoot a 1911, I'll shoot the A2 or Ithaca...

I've shot some crappy guns, but the least favorite i've owned PX4 storm sub compact... I originally bought it because my wife liked it, it has great safety features, It holds 13+1 and it is very asthetically pleasing ... uhh, Jessica Beil in the ATeam movie...Mmmm. 3438D363-3A86-44BA-9B8A-41DA464D114D-800-00000125D73A0643_tmp.jpg . Soon after we bought it, I got my CPL, and found out that it does not deserve the subcompact label... it's way too thick, heavy and has few good holster options. My full size G17 is way more comfortable to carry. It was kinda a lemon from the get go... there was a magazine issue(follower hung up on the release notch) shipped with a broken backstrap, but Beretta sent replacements... and it was picky with ammo, it struck the primer way off center.
For some reason I couldn't hit with it for crap either... I hated the trigger, way too much travel on reset. The larger Px4's with the rotating barrels are great. My bro has a compact and it's a joy to shoot... but you loose the option to suppress. The subcompact has a tilt barrel. some people love it but it's not for me... It is the only gun I ever sold that was glad to get rid of.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top