JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Wisest words in this thread.

A "budget" AR-10 is going to be nothing but a headache.
I see little reason the 308 ARs should cost a lot more than AR15s.
This has been discussed here before, as I recall. AR10 stuff costs more because there is less demand for it than AR15 stuff. AR10 stuff is just made in smaller runs, costs more for manufacturers to make. And less price competition.

In the way of projects, some people enjoy the gun, some enjoy the project. I like to have finished product so I can enjoy its utility, not keep busy with projects. In my own case, I'd wanted an Armalite (legacy firm in Geneseo, IL) since they first came out around 1996 but I couldn't bring myself to spend the money on one. At that time, there were no options to the Armalite brand. Years went by and I later bought an Armalite. What I didn't look into at the time was, other brands had come out in the meantime. The Armalite was proprietary, nothing about it was interchangeable with the other brands that looked more or less the same. Including magazines.

If you enjoy the project, building a parts gun has hobby value. If you have a short attention span and get bored with finished projects, your money will be more easily recovered from having bought a factory finished rifle in the first instance. Even if it's an Armalite.

I'm still not sure why I bought the AR10. When I downsized recently, the AR10 went away. An M1A and an M1 Rifle (Garand) in .308 stayed.

Last Edited:
Since I will be running my 308 with gas system disabled that should eliminate a bunch of potential problems. Assuming the upper mates to the lower, there shouldn't be much else to worry about beyond normal AR15 issues.

Since I will be running my 308 as a manual loader I am thinking I won't have to worry too much about the bolt catch failing.
With respect, I don't quite get this. The main utility of an AR is sem-auto function. I read your post #24, saw your desire to easily recover fired cases. Eh, just me, that wouldn't be one of my main interests in having an AR10. Well, it can always be changed back to semi-auto. I guess it has versatility to recommend it.

With respect, I don't quite get this. The main utility of an AR is sem-auto function. I read your post #24, saw your desire to easily recover fired cases. Eh, just me, that wouldn't be one of my main interests in having an AR10. Well, it can always be changed back to semi-auto. I guess it has versatility to recommend it.
It will run cleaner, you can load cartridges longer than mag length and single feed them, you can load cartridges with powder/bullet combinations that might not run the gas system, etc.

Some people would say why not get a bolt rifle instead. I would say because then I have to get a bolt rifle chambered in each cartridge versus just the upper or just a barrel. The ARs are more customizable imho and you will only have to customize a few lowers instead of customizing a bunch of different bolt rifles. The lower takes up less space in the safe than a bunch of different bolt rifles. So if you have a small safe that could be a big bonus. You can get by with one optic easier than you could with a bunch of bolt rifles.

I would love to own a bunch of chassis bolt rifles in all the various cartridges I own uppers in now but it's not in my budget so I will settle for owning a few lowers and a bunch of uppers.

It's not everybody's cup of tea but it makes me happy.

Some people would say why not get a bolt rifle instead. I would say because then I have to get a bolt rifle chambered in each cartridge versus just the upper or just a barrel. The ARs are more customizable imho and you will only have to customize a few lowers instead of customizing a bunch of different bolt rifles. The lower takes up less space in the safe than a bunch of different bolt rifles. So if you have a small safe that could be a big bonus. You can get by with one optic easier than you could with a bunch of bolt rifles.
That's what my Encore is for and I'm not limited to .308 length.

Have you checked out Daniel Defense Delta 5?

I haven't lately but I will check them out again. I really want a side charging model so I will probably stick with Bear Creek for the upper. I am looking into the Devil Dog Hardcharger side charging conversion handle which would allow me to side charge any standard rear charging receiver. This 308 build is going to be set up for manual charging (disconnecting the gas system). That will allow me to save the brass, keep the upper cleaner and use hand loads that might not operate the gas system otherwise.
Bear Creek is having a sale

.308 complete uppers starting at $350

A lot of good advice in this thread. I'll throw out some opinions, trying not to repeat what others have said.
Converting a AR from a gas operated semi to a manual only pull-back is a popular mod in the UK, you could check out some of their local forums. Turning the gas off with a AGB usually works, but not always, as some still allow enough gas to pass by to partially cycle. You could have the barrel port welded, but I wouldn't. Plugging the gas passage in a typical set screw GB is fairly cheap and simple, and is easily reversible. Strike Industries makes a collar adjust 4+off position selectable GB that would work well if you wanted to quickly change your action type. They are used by some in the subsonic suppressed crowd to eliminated action noise. Access to the collar with some handguards can be an issue.
If you're going to single feed by hand, get a Bob-Sled. If you're going to long load, determine your particular chambers max C.O.A.L. for a specific bullet profile. Some mags allow for longer cartridges than others, and some lowers can accept modified mags.
Here's a pic of a buddy's custom FAL SA58 type left side non-reciprocating charging system on a Armalite AR-10. Materials aren't very expensive, but it's a fair amount of machine work. This has the standard CH disabled.
0SZkV3dl.jpg
I'm building one now for my .358 Win. It will be dual charging capable.
yQFRiF3l.jpg

A lot of good advice in this thread. I'll throw out some opinions, trying not to repeat what others have said.
Converting a AR from a gas operated semi to a manual only pull-back is a popular mod in the UK, you could check out some of their local forums. Turning the gas off with a AGB usually works, but not always, as some still allow enough gas to pass by to partially cycle. You could have the barrel port welded, but I wouldn't. Plugging the gas passage in a typical set screw GB is fairly cheap and simple, and is easily reversible. Strike Industries makes a collar adjust 4+off position selectable GB that would work well if you wanted to quickly change your action type. They are used by some in the subsonic suppressed crowd to eliminated action noise. Access to the collar with some handguards can be an issue.
If you're going to single feed by hand, get a Bob-Sled. If you're going to long load, determine your particular chambers max C.O.A.L. for a specific bullet profile. Some mags allow for longer cartridges than others, and some lowers can accept modified mags.
Here's a pic of a buddy's custom FAL SA58 type left side non-reciprocating charging system on a Armalite AR-10. Materials aren't very expensive, but it's a fair amount of machine work. This has the standard CH disabled.
View attachment 1048472
I'm building one now for my .358 Win. It will be dual charging capable.
View attachment 1048473
My plan was to install a gas block in reverse, upside down, etc to block off the gas port. I like the collar idea but gas blocks are cheap and readily available. I will look in to bobsled. Thanks for the tips.

My plan was to install a gas block in reverse, upside down, etc to block off the gas port. I like the collar idea but gas blocks are cheap and readily available. I will look in to bobsled. Thanks for the tips.
You'll get gas past the block that way. They're not press fit and if using a set screw type, you'll be pushing the "bottom" away from the gas port instead of pulling the "top" closer to it.

You'll get gas past the block that way. They're not press fit and if using a set screw type, you'll be pushing the "bottom" away from the gas port instead of pulling the "top" closer to it.
Clamp on gas block might be the way to go. How much gas do you think will be leaking past a block?

Clamp on gas block might be the way to go. How much gas do you think will be leaking past a block?
Don't know. Can't say I've ever met someone who wanted to install parts upside down. Possibly enough to be annoying, maybe very little but definitely more than zero.

Don't know. Can't say I've ever met someone who wanted to install parts upside down. Possibly enough to be annoying, maybe very little but definitely more than zero.
Some users have simply turned the low pro blocks around so the set screws are still on the bottom but the gas block port is no longer aligned with the barrel gas port. I will have to experiment. I will run the upper as it comes to test it's function in semi-auto before I disable the gas system. I am still waiting on my Bear Creek 350 legend and 450 bushmaster side charging uppers to arrive before I place the order for the 308 upper.

It will be at least a month before I get the lowers in my hands.

No turning back, I ordered this 308 side charging upper for my ultra budget 308 AR build, I hope it can hit the broad side of a barn with me behind the wheel. It ended up being $323.09 shipped.

I picked up a 308 buffer, rifle and carbine buffer springs for $23 shipped from Midway. I am still looking for a $10ish 308 carbine buffer unless I can modify an AR15 buffer?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top